UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Delaware AD and Coach met with boosters yesterday. One of them posted this on AGS:

Once again, both coach and AD emphatically said that moving to the Sun Belt was, "not moving up."

AD said that their best guess is that 3-4 years from now, only the 5, or maybe only 4, major conferences will be bringing in the big money...and that they would not be sharing that money. Thus, he anticipates that the smaller FBS teams/conferences and larger FCS teams will form a second tier of football

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what we usually hear from admins looking from the outside in (UD, Montana, Idaho's AD, etc). UD is also different with its public w/ a private-charter makeup. In talking with the MAC they bascially said they'd only jump for a league like the ACC. It's understandable based on how they see themselves but it's not happening, so all the best to them.

You won't see a split without major issues. The FBS leagues are all current BCS members and we'd see litigation if any move was attempted. As the B1G stops playing FCS schools they have to play others and those major conference teams want to go to bowls, what to reach the new FBS tournament bowls, want 7-8 home games. So to reach those yearly they need to schedule some MACtion, among others. For example, MSU has state-mandated agreements to play the MAC Directionals for years to come and everyone is happy with that. And, even though they won't get into the PAC12 or Big12 and teams hate playing them, you won't see Boise left out of the highest level and major bowls. Not with the national ratings the Broncos draw.

Right now they are all working out the payouts and any guess of a split in 3-4 years doesn't fit with the financial realities: http://www.cbssports...ear-revenue-cap

Edited by UBBulls

Yup...agreed. I think we build our brand and our stadium at that time and move on up to Tier 2...

Bad enough there are two tiers already in D1. Now there will possibly be another one?

In all reality there are really 4 tiers of DI football.

FBS I (ACC, B1G, SEC, PAC 100, Big XII)

FBS II (MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, AAC, CUSA)

FCS I (CAA, Big Sky, SoCon, MVFC, SLC)

FCS II (Big South, MEAC, NEC, Ivy, Patriot, SWAC, PFL, OVC)

I'm sure I'm missing a conference or two, but you get the point.

The prevailing thought process is that FBS I will break even further away from FBS II. FBS II and FCS I will combine (already happening to some extent with the recent moves to the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA) and FCS II will be left in the same spot they are now.

We're positioned well to be part of the 2nd Tier if we expand the stadium in the next 3-5 years.

That's what we usually hear from admins looking from the outside in (UD, Montana, Idaho's AD, etc). UD is also different with its public w/ a private-charter makeup. In talking with the MAC they bascially said they'd only jump for a league like the ACC. It's understandable based on how they see themselves but it's not happening, so all the best to them.

You won't see a split without major issues. The FBS leagues are all current BCS members and we'd see litigation if any move was attempted. As the B1G stops playing FCS schools they have to play others and those major conference teams want to go to bowls, what to reach the new FBS tournament bowls, want 7-8 home games. So to reach those yearly they need to schedule some MACtion, among others. For example, MSU has state-mandated agreements to play the MAC Directionals for years to come and everyone is happy with that. And, even though they won't get into the PAC12 or Big12 and teams hate playing them, you won't see Boise left out of the highest level and major bowls. Not with the national ratings the Broncos draw.

Right now they are all working out the payouts and any guess of a split in 3-4 years doesn't fit with the financial realities: http://www.cbssports...ear-revenue-cap

I agree that if the revenue structure is set up the way the article mentions there will be less FCS to FBS movement than we're seeing right now.

That all assumes however, that the real drivers of this are still willing to throw the little guys some "go away" money.

The Group of 5 are hanging by a thread onto the real money maker conferences. You're in denial if you think that can last very long. Contracts can always be broken and payouts will always happen.

There is no 'prevailing thought process' of an FBS split within FBS. It's noise from FCS and some former NCAA people who aren't in touch with the process, who said such things before the current FBS tournament deal came together. I'd only be in denial if there were actually anything of substance out there, which there is not. Can we trust the beliefs of an AD whose 2016 or 2017 FBS split prediction has 0% chance of happening based on the revenue deals? Or his belief that App and GSU are not really moving up, in spite of their FBS studies pointing to more revenues, exposure, prestige?

Edited by UBBulls

There is no 'prevailing thought process' of an FBS split within FBS. It's noise from FCS and some former NCAA people who aren't in touch with the process, who said such things before the current FBS tournament deal came together. I'd only be in denial if there were actually anything of substance out there, which there is not. Can we trust the beliefs of an AD whose 2016 or 2017 FBS split prediction has 0% chance of happening based on the revenue deals? Or his belief that App and GSU are not really moving up, in spite of their FBS studies pointing to more revenues, exposure, prestige?

We'll see what plays out. What we've seen the last 2 years is that anything is possible.

By the way - you can pay a sports consultant like Carr Assoc. to conclude to basically whatever you want. If the school wants to move FBS, the study says its better. If the schools doesn't want to move, the study says its not better. I don't put stock in a paid consulting report.

And before you jump down my throat - I don't agree with teh Delaware AD that moving from the SoCon to the Sun Belt is not a move up. It is defniitely a move up in terms of exposure, expenditures, etc... It's not necessarily an on-field move up though.

Edited by danefan

Yup...agreed. I think we build our brand and our stadium at that time and move on up to Tier 2...

Bad enough there are two tiers already in D1. Now there will possibly be another one?

The prevailing thought process is that FBS I will break even further away from FBS II. FBS II and FCS I will combine (already happening to some extent with the recent moves to the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA) and FCS II will be left in the same spot they are now.

We're positioned well to be part of the 2nd Tier if we expand the stadium in the next 3-5 years.

Is the AAC still get a BCS bid this coming year?

Is the AAC still get a BCS bid this coming year?

I believe so. The playoff system doesn't begin until 2014-2015 season.

Davidson to the A10 appears to be just about a done deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22072822/a-10-close-to-adding-davidson

I thoguht the Socon would get raided and the following would happen:

App State to FBS - done

Georgia Southern to FBS - done

Davidson to A10 - done

Furman to CAA

Wofford to CAA

Elon to CAA

The CAA moves are on the horizon, IMO.

The SoCon will then take VMI and CCU from the Big South which along with Liberty most likely to go to FBS would kill the Big South football AQ and leave Monmouth again without a home.

• 3 months later...

Hmmmm...yes, I will pat my sources on the back. I called this way...way long ago. HOFSTRA SIMPLY BLOCKED SBU.

Now...I think we are in the right place as the CAA is currently constructed. I think the school is going to slowly build its athletic profile to coincide with the future football realignment that will surely happen. That...will open the next move for us for all sports.

That said, I think IF SBU was not blocked...the CAA, according to my source early on, would have gone to 14 teams...and we would have been in the league as noted. I think a regional CAA would have been more appealing to the administration.

Hofstra f'd alot of teams with this move...and got two hoop centric schools to back them in NU and Drexel.