UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Looks like Alabama is shutting down UAB football. Seems political to me. Alabama and Auburn don't want the competition. It will free up a spot in Conference USA. The MAC is going to have a free spot with the UMASS departure.

Thoughts on conference changes?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling people will come to their senses in Alabama. This is just bad press for anyone on that Board right now.

That said, the MAC will remain in the same place (JMU doesn't want the MAC). UMASS could go to Conference USA.

I don't think you will see many dominoes moving.

So it appears official now. UAB has dropped football. CUSA requires all members to sponsor football so it's expected they will force UAB out.

I suspect we'll see James Madison leave the CAA for CUSA.

That leaves open a potential all-sports membership in the CAA again.

So it appears official now. UAB has dropped football. CUSA requires all members to sponsor football so it's expected they will force UAB out.

I suspect we'll see James Madison leave the CAA for CUSA.

That leaves open a potential all-sports membership in the CAA again.

Now it makes sense why we had so many donations yesterday!

I hope for the time being we stay where we are. it's quite a change for me but I believe we need to live within our means especially as changes continue to happen at such a rapid pace. We need help with facilties, the money that it would cost to move to the CAA all sports could be better spent on fixing up SEFCU, getting on par with some of the other facilities in the AE or soon to be in the AE (UMBC/Vermont). Not sure people realize this but we are falling behind in basketball facilities rapidly.

My guess is that the powers to be at UAlbany and other similar institutions may be looking at forming a new all sports conference. A conference composed of schools who will make a substantial but reasonable similar commitment to its atheletic programs. The costs are contained and you could develope a new major conference. It's worth thinking about.

I have a feeling people will come to their senses in Alabama. This is just bad press for anyone on that Board right now.

That said, the MAC will remain in the same place (JMU doesn't want the MAC). UMASS could go to Conference USA.

I don't think you will see many dominoes moving.

People did NOT come to their senses.

I hope for the time being we stay where we are. it's quite a change for me but I believe we need to live within our means especially as changes continue to happen at such a rapid pace. We need help with facilties, the money that it would cost to move to the CAA all sports could be better spent on fixing up SEFCU, getting on par with some of the other facilities in the AE or soon to be in the AE (UMBC/Vermont). Not sure people realize this but we are falling behind in basketball facilities rapidly.

I would generally agree. Our endowment is around $30 million. Endowments at Maine and UNH are around $250 million,UVM is over $400 million, Stony Brook is $150 million, Buffalo is over $600 million, Binghamton is over $80 million, JMU is almost $80 million.

Not sure why ours is so low - low giving from alumni. Low returns on investments... We just don't have much money.

I would also guess this is part of the reason why McElroy is no longer AD. there was a new stadium and a push for all sports to go to the CAA leak with an announcement about to come, rumor about an announcement to expand the stadium. All of this while SEFCU and baseball need upgrades.

If Benson can raise a lot of money and show that it's sustainable, I can see a push to move to a higher profile conference or all sports to the CAA. Until that happens, I think it's not a good financial decision. While I love our athletics program and want to see us grow, the truth is we as a community don't do a good job financially supporting the school or athletic program. That said, I think there is opportunity to raise $ and use that to raise the athletic profile.

I would generally agree. Our endowment is around $30 million.

That figure is about 5 years old. Number is in the $50m range now. Still low..but a marked improvement. I believe President Jones set a goal last year to increase the endowment to $100m within 5 years.

Edited by Phoenix

The northeast deserves its own FBS conference. We have way too many football sponsoring universities not to.

Is there a way to manipulate the NCAA rules? Since only existing conferences can invite universities could for example the MAC create a northeast division, invite a bunch of FCS colleges. The next year those former FCS schools split that division into a new conference?

Once those FCS schools join a FBS conference they can create their own conference.

Watching Obama skirt/ignore immigration laws makes me think that principle can be applied lots of places. Why not to NCAA rules?

Edited by SoCal_Dane

The point remains. We've all learned that rules/laws are discretionary. It just takes some analysis to determine how to beat the system.

NCAA rules are no different. There must be a way to manipulate the existing structure without going through governance?

Can a defunct conference be revived and rebranded?

Northeast universities should lawyer up

2 percent of donations, for the last fiscal year were for athletics. We need to raise an awful lot of money to fund athletics. It takes about $500,000 to fully fund a scholarship assuming about 4% payout, With a couple hundred scholarship athletes, that's 100 million, although some may qualify for other scholarships already funded, We still need some capital improvements to our facilities. So the 500 - 600 donations yesterday, of which a majority were probably under $100, isn't going to get it done.

Benson and University Development have their work cut out for themselves. I have to say that development has made tremendous strides for the last several years and I couldn't be happier with the recent hires for President and AD. We're certainly headed in the right direction, but I don't see how we can afford to make any major moves in conerence affiliations.