UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

D96 how did you get 9.2 million? According to forbes we have around 17,114

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/suny-at-albany/

so my number is 3.4 million per year, times four years, equals 13.7 million over four years. Also SBU will get money for their stadium, which means we can probably lobby for the same thing (approx 5-10 million). So add that to the 13.7 over four years and the first phase costs at 19 million, we have a complete stadium total cost between (37.7-42.7).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early indications that phase 2 is seriously being considered.

Are these tweets about funding to pay off the existing stadium or about raising money for future stadium expansion?

I'm guessing existing wouldn't you? That's all they tweeted about, you;d have to ask the ASP for more info on what he said.

I can imagine that once the stadium is fully lapis off, they'll continue to seek donations for expansion. Get a coffer.

I'm not all that psyched about increasing student fees yet. Eventually we may have to if the NCAA changes enough to pull us into FBS territory. Save up the political capital for when we have a clearer view on the future.

D96 how did you get 9.2 million? According to forbes we have around 17,114

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/suny-at-albany/

so my number is 3.4 million per year, times four years, equals 13.7 million over four years. Also SBU will get money for their stadium, which means we can probably lobby for the same thing (approx 5-10 million). So add that to the 13.7 over four years and the first phase costs at 19 million, we have a complete stadium total cost between (37.7-42.7).

Activity/athletic fees usually only apply to undergraduate students (12,878), not to graduate students.

Exactly UA72. And my number was off by 878 students because I guessed at 12,000.

I definitely DO NOT think that this is for the current phase so to speak; I think this is more for building up the coffers as Danefan stated, and I also agree that at some point we will need student fees for FBS-style funding.

Are these tweets about funding to pay off the existing stadium or about raising money for future stadium expansion?

I'm guessing existing wouldn't you? That's all they tweeted about, you;d have to ask the ASP for more info on what he said.

Agreed. I see nothing in the ASP's tweets to indicate that phase 2 was being discussed.

Doesn't matter if Phase 2 was being discussed or not. As Danefan wished, this is either going to a new pot, or the pot that paid for the stadium; just depends on how they want to account for the monies.

Bottom LIne: The school is pitching the stadium as a "STUDENT-CENTRIC" stadium...which it is going to ultimately be if things go right for the community (concerts, games, etc.)

Edited by Dane96

Agreed. I see nothing in the ASP's tweets to indicate that phase 2 was being discussed.

One must not forget what McElroy said on an interview with Whyland. While he didn't indicate specifically that Phase II is in the works he certainly strongly alluded to serious interest in pursuing Phase II. Now he's out stomping for funds for 'something'...

Edited by Clickclack

Huh?

I think you are missing many points.

1) The stadium IS either paid off or coming out of the $4mm pot the school pledged (6 million from the school including $2million that they raised in private money).

2) The plan was ALWAYS for Phases.

3) Their are MAJOR changes on the horizon for the NCAA. At some point we will have to decide whether we want to move with our CAA Football bretheren or be relegated to what will be a "New Division II".

4) McElroy has already stated he wants to start the plans for Phase 2.

5) Heery is commissioned until 2015.

I hear you. I wasn't suggesting there isn't a plan/intent for Phase II..I was referring specifically to McElroy asking SA for a one-time donation. I'm not sure your first item is entirely accurate..or at least it's semantics. The Foundation fronted the money to cover the rest of the stadium cost..additional fundraising is necessary to pay that back. Hench the stadium donor wall push just a few weeks ago.

More broadly..I certainly hope a 'Phase II' is in the near future. I just don't believe the AD asking SA for a donation suggests it's on the immediate horizon.