UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I thought it was a cheap shot. UA is ramping up in a cost containment league. Light years away from any major program. UA takes a modest half step forward and the TU is there to decry the evils of big time athletics.

I wrote a negative rebuttal in the comments but the new site required a new registration and battling it on my iPhone was too much. I gave up figuring the TU wasn't worth it.

Still it frosts my nuts that our modest step forward would trigger this BS. Write an article about Syracuse their BCS. Some high schools still have better facilities than us for crying out loud!

Pete should know that the Knight Commission is an all-out assault on athletics. If's a sham and they contort numbers and "facts" to make their point.

I'm surprised Pete did not do his research PRIOR to using this as Primary Source materials for his story. It would have been more appropriate to state that the Knight Commission has come under serious fire.

Really surprised.

Edited by Dane96

I wasn't to offended by it...just saying.

I'm honestly not sure what to think.

His data is half-bakes...like all Knight Commision reports are.

But even with that bad comparative data, he still basically concludes that Albany spends no where near what most of our peers do.

It is what it is though.....money is not infinite. If we're going to spend more money on football, we're going to spend less money on something else. I don't know if it's a direct inverse correlation to academic spending. Maybe it's a reallocation from something else? An improved efficiency that frees up dollars? We all know there is bloat in the SUNY system.

The one thing I did like was McElroy and Jones's comments. Yes Pete.....we're going to spend more and we're not going to apologize for it.

I wasn't to offended by it...just saying.

I'm honestly not sure what to think.

His data is half-bakes...like all Knight Commision reports are.

But even with that bad comparative data, he still basically concludes that Albany spends no where near what most of our peers do.

It is what it is though.....money is not infinite. If we're going to spend more money on football, we're going to spend less money on something else. I don't know if it's a direct inverse correlation to academic spending. Maybe it's a reallocation from something else? An improved efficiency that frees up dollars? We all know there is bloat in the SUNY system.

The one thing I did like was McElroy and Jones's comments. Yes Pete.....we're going to spend more and we're not going to apologize for it.

I'm with the Clackster on this one; I just read it as UA will be facing difficult decisions to find a balance between academia and athletic competitiveness.

As Uofalbany asks, though: What is the motive? Why this, and why now?

Maybe I can shoot him an e-mail to ask. Anyhow, it is publicity, and that's all that counts in my eye (assuming, of course, that it is not the result of indictable offenses.)

Edited by haggyland

Listen, no one loves themselves some TU hatin' like me...when people say grab your torches and pitchforks I'm there...but this was meeehhhh. If anything it shows that we are building sensibly while containing costs as well or better than can be expected.

As df pointed out...like how our leadership told him yeah, we are going to spend and won't come asking for your forgiveness.

Edited by Clickclack

My question is..... what prompts him to write the piece.... why write it

My take is that UAlbany is becoming a big time football program at this level (or at least that's how we are perceived by the writer) and is actually a good thing. If the media perceives UA as a football "power house" or a bigtime program which is where they are headed, many more articles will emerge along these lines. The articles will be good and bad but the bottom line looks like UA football is being re-branded and you cant ask for anything better than that. Edited by Ruler

My take is that UAlbany is becoming a big time football program at this level (or at least that's how we are perceived by the writer) and is actually a good thing. If the media perceives UA as a football "power house" or a bigtime program which is where they are headed, many more articles will emerge along these lines. The articles will be good and bad but the bottom line looks like UA football is being re-branded and you cant ask for anything better than that.

I'm not sure I follow...

My take is that UAlbany is becoming a big time football program at this level (or at least that's how we are perceived by the writer) and is actually a good thing. If the media perceives UA as a football "power house" or a bigtime program which is where they are headed, many more articles will emerge along these lines. The articles will be good and bad but the bottom line looks like UA football is being re-branded and you cant ask for anything better than that.

I'm not sure I follow...

Any publicity is good publicity.

Listen, no one loves themselves some TU hatin' like me...when people say grab your torches and pitchforks I'm there...but this was meeehhhh. If anything it shows that we are building sensibly while containing costs as well or better than can be expected.

As df pointed out...like how our leadership told him yeah, we are going to spend and won't come asking for your forgiveness.

Agreed.

Not to mention it's not like the article said we CUT funding for non-athlete students...it just didn't go up as MUCH as the funding for athletes. That's all.