UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BPG vs. UVM

This program is mediocre... It's really the worst spot to be in. Not enough contributions from to many kids, many of whom don't know the system or injured and are jucos.

This isn't a complete rebuild but need to start trying to get quick hits and build the program the right way. Really disappointing season with not much to cheer for.

Edited by Clickclack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This program is mediocre... It's really the worst spot to be in. Not enough contributions from to many kids, many of whom don't know the system or injured and are jucos.

This isn't a complete rebuild but need to start trying to get quick hits and build the program the right way. Really disappointing season with not much to cheer for.

They should have switched the games today so that "The Ferocious Feast" was during the men's game, with the women as the nightcap.

At least then a big crowd could have left the arena a little excited.

Yup. Not bad enough for the obvious coaching change not good enough for any genuine enthusiasm or growth.

Of the current 147 d1 coaches at their schools for at least 10 years only the coach of Dartmouth and Savannah St have a worse record and only 11 others are under 500 overall

There is no lead guard on this team...today it was painfully obvious as two UVM guards ran roughshod over us scoring 32 of their 55pts. While our starting back court managed 16 on 7-25 shooting. Mike Black was not checking in. While I like that the recruiting focus seems to be on 4 year kids for next class unfortunately I believe we are stuck, reaping the fruit of shortsighted recruiting practices focused on stocking half the roster full of JUCO's, two of whom are actually playing.

The future will be better with Dallas and Mike getting lots of minutes, what does that tell you about the JUCO's who can't get into the game and two freshmen are out there for 32 combined minutes?

I know I'm REALLY beating this whole JUCO thing to death but...this practice needs to COMPLETELY STOP! It takes these kids FAR to long to get acclimated, and by the time they are like Johnson there are only 10 or 15 games left of eligibility. Coaching staff needs to take a long term approach to building the program. Sam is a four year kid and our best player, Hooley is a four year kid, Puk is a four year kid who knows his role and contributes, Dallas who is very very green is our best perimeter shooter but needs to get strong as all kids do. JUCO's, DJ has been OK, really hot or cold, Gary has been great, the rest...Haas gives us zero, Levon injured and even when he wasn't couldn't get into the rotation, Odunsi same story, Weigman hasn't been out there in months, Ede can't get into the game, doesn't know the system. Half the roster contributing NOTHING!

That's why I think we are OK long term with the Rowleys, Hooley and Dallas. Hopefully one of the JUCO's can take a jump up like Gary did this year.

Last time we beat UVM in the regular season...Jan 11, 2009. It's been FIVE YEARS and counting!

Wow that is amazing. A peer program whom we have good post season success against but completely owned in the regular season.

As much as it pains me to keep losing to them in the regular season I'll take dominating them in the post season. But in the end it's disappointing to keep losing to them year in and out.

As many have said...this was ugly. Both teams played bad, but UVM played less bad. As Click said, we don't have a single bonafide offensive go to player. Hooley is hit or miss as is Sam. While Suero tended to be a bit careless in his decision making...you at least had a good chance of him either scoring or getting to the foul line. Or Ambrose. Or Wilson. We need to find a kid who can get his no matter what, so when the rest of the team isn't scoring (like today) he can snap the team out of the funk.

Maybe with football being on the up and up, eventually we'll start getting better athletes in our other sports.

I have to disagree a little. Ugly for sure, but I feel our offense was working; in that we were getting open shots all night. We were just not making them. Vermont did not really beat us, we beat ourselves. I do not think vt's defense was the cause of our woes. If their defense was so good, how come we were getting open looks pretty much all night. If you ask me why we were missing so badly, I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure it was not because vt was defending us so well. If we shoot 40% we win that game; 50% we blow them away. BIG IFS for sure; but I do not buy (my opinion) the bad coaching, bad players, vt is so much better, claims.

Edited by dslyank

When the SEFCU is packed it is a great atmosphere. Regretfully, the team played so poorly the crowd never got into it. I've rarely seen such poor shooting. And, poor shooting has become the trademark of this team.

I have to disagree a little. Ugly for sure, but I feel our offense was working; in that we were getting open shots all night. We were just not making them. Vermont did not really beat us, we beat ourselves. I do not think vt's defense was the cause of our woes. If their defense was so good, how come we were getting open looks pretty much all night. If you ask me why we were missing so badly, I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure it was not because vt was defending us so well. If we shoot 40% we win that game; 50% we blow them away. BIG IFS for sure; but I do not buy (my opinion) the bad coaching, bad players, vt is so much better, claims.

I can agree with the premise of this post. UA missed a lot of wide open shots... A lot...specifically from the outside. Even two airballs. But I do think Vermont played really well defensively, that being said they can be beat. I hope sbu finishes first so we can get a crack one more time at sefcu. We can beat them. Shoot even half decent last night and we might have pulled it off.

Edited by Clickclack

Offense was working? Maybe you had a different feed. Vt had far more uncontested lay ups. Open 3. Etc. Should Ua have hit some more shots? Maybe but they had very few open looks. You don't score 83 combined points against your rival and get to claim poor shooting. Especially since you're not a big outside shooting team to begin with. You push the ball inside. Then penetrate and rotate off the ball. None if that happened.

This was a bad game plan executed badly. I'm shocked there were no comments about WBs overall coaching record compared to his contemporaries, that I posted yesterday.

Vermont is a very veteran team with very good length and athleticism. We went inside the whole first half without a decent shot. Second half we kicked out--good move--but couldn't hit the barn door. I have never seen so many shots that didn't hit the rim. Terrible night but the guys played hard to the end.

You've got to bring your A game when playing Vermont-like teams. Brown coached teams have been vulnerable to 'heavy pressure'

in the past, and Vermont brings the pressure. I have a feeling the sbu team we faced last week will be much more of a challenge for us next time around.