UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Logo refresh

madDOG

It's been discussed before, but coming off the biggest exposure our program has ever received I think it's time the Athletics department refreshed our logos.

Personally, I think this design looks dated and amateurish. They should also drop the 'U', and just go by 'Albany'. It's simple, clean and not so awkward like I think it is now. I understand the original reasoning was to distinguish ourselves from Albany State University in GA, however I think we've outgrown that branding challenge and need to evolve to the next level.

hiPgPxbl.png

I also think a new logo should incorporate the Great Dane. We get a ton of love for our mascot, so why not put it out there more? That being said, I absolutely hate the "head only" version. It looks lopsided and goofy. When the entire body is shown, it looks symmetrical and distinguished. If they updated this logo, I think we've got a winner.

GZBuRLul.gif

Thoughts?

Edited by madDOG

I understand the original reasoning was to distinguish ourselves from Albany State University in GA, however I think we've outgrown that branding challenge and need to evolve to the next level.

I like our logos as they are. But to address this specific point..a number of publications still listed us as "Albany (NY)" for NCAA Tournament purposes. Most notably..the official NCAA media guide for our team. I could understand if Albany State in GA was DI..but I'm surprised (NY) is still used as often as it is.

I suspect the (NY) has more to do with the fact that there are at least 6 cities named 'Albany' across the US from California to Oregon to Georgia and New York. The city in New York is fairly small and not well known in the rest of the country. I don't think Albany State is the reason we have a (NY).

The 'U' is purely for locals to distinguish the high school from the universities. As you see the national media ignore it whether we use it or not.

I suspect the (NY) has more to do with the fact that there are at least 6 cities named 'Albany' across the US from California to Oregon to Georgia and New York. The city in New York is fairly small and not well known in the rest of the country. I don't think Albany State is the reason we have a (NY).

The 'U' is purely for locals to distinguish the high school from the university. As you see the national media ignore it whether we use it or not.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

"UAlbany" is supposed to be an informal nickname. I think the only place it should appear in print is a local headline or first mention in a story so we aren't confused with Albany High or the hockey team. For the rest of the country "Albany" should be enough.

Oddly, I've seen "Stony Brook (NY)" in a lot of listings too. But never "Buffalo (NY)"

The 'U' is purely for locals to distinguish the high school from the universities. As you see the national media ignore it whether we use it or not.

It's a shame people don't know their states and capitals...shame shame shame.

As for the logo's, I like both but prefer the one with the full Dane. I am also fine with U in general. I agree that on TV or on gear it should just be Albany...but our official name needs to be "University of Albany" not just "Albany". Meaning:

University of Florida

University of Kentucky

University of Memphis

University of Pittsburgh

University of Miami

University of California

Either that or Albany University. Meaning:

Syracuse University

Duke University

Then on TV...we can just be Albany.

Otherwise, I think we run the risk of being known as more of a college like LCC. We NEED to have University somewhere in the name. I do however, complete encourage getting rid of the SUNY/State University of New York business (from every SUNY school). THAT has GOT to go.

Edited by Ilko

The 'U' is purely for locals to distinguish the high school from the university. As you see the national media ignore it whether we use it or not.

For being "fairly small," it's still larger than all the others mentioned..and is the only state capital. And Albany, California..18,000 people..come on. :)

Would be interested to hear from those who actually put (NY) why they do it..Albany State or the cities in Georgia and Oregon. My guess is that most do it now simply because that's what the person before them did.

Edited by Phoenix

I emailed Jeff Sagarin about it once, he said it was because people would confuse it with Albany State University, especially in the South. But that was more than ten years ago, before any of our NCAA appearances.

At least the NCAA doesn't use the (NY) in their official brackets any more. They did even in the lacrosse bracket fairly recently.

I remember Martelli complaining about listing St. Joseph's (PA) even though they're the only St. Joe in D-I.

Albany California is well known in California. It's just outside of Berkley... as in UC Berkley or Cal. It may be smaller than the New York capital but it's better known here.

This is why I always preferred a name with 'New York' included. That being said if we're keeping Albany drop the 'U' and 'at'. The media ignore both anyway. I prefer the below

Albany University or

University of Albany

For being "fairly small," it's still larger than all the others mentioned..and is the only state capital. And Albany, California..18,000 people..come on. :)

Would be interested to hear from those who actually put (NY) why they do it..Albany State or the cities in Georgia and Oregon. My guess is that most do it now simply because that's what the person before them did.

Albany California is well known in California. It's just outside of Berkley... as in UC Berkley or Cal. It may be smaller than the New York capital but it's better known here.

I readily accept that people in and around Albany, California think of Albany, California when they hear "Albany." Probably the same way people in and around Phoenix, NY think of Phoenix, NY when they hear Phoenix..instead of THE Phoenix.

Broadcasters did use UAlbany a few times.