UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: FCS Coastal Carolina Moving to Sun Belt

I always hear how far off Albany is from FBS but is Coastal really that much better than us? Do they have deeper pockets than us? Didn't Stony Brook repeatedly whip Coastal?

Something doesn't add up here. Either Coastal is much better and richer than us or the jump isn't as huge as it's been billed... at least in the Sun Belt and MAC for that purpose.

In reality there is no FBS conference that makes sense for any northeast FCS school.

Look at the options and tell us where in our present state we'd be a good fit. I advocate for continuing to build up tradition, facilities etc. and when/if the time is right move. Look at our budget, we'd have no chance in those types of leagues, not to mention facilities. Lets face it, someone has to want to you in order to move, you can't just "move".

Edited by Clickclack

I say stay in the CAA for 15-20 years, get REAL good in this league (with top notch facilities). Develop traditions, a rabid fanbase and a level of excellence (where we compete for the playoffs year in year out like we do in BB) and then see what the cards hold.

In reality there is no FBS conference that makes sense for any northeast FCS school.

Look at the options and tell us where in our present state we'd be a good fit. I advocate for continuing to build up tradition, facilities etc. and when/if the time is right move. Look at our budget, we'd have no chance in those types of leagues, not to mention facilities. Lets face it, someone has to want to you in order to move, you can't just "move".

Agree with this. Keep building the programs, the facilities, the fan base and down the road make the move.

I say stay in the CAA for 15-20 years, get REAL good in this league (with top notch facilities). Develop traditions, a rabid fanbase and a level of excellence (where we compete for the playoffs year in year out like we do in BB) and then see what the cards hold.

Hard to build a rabid fan base for football up there. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but I can't see the avg fan getting amped about college football in the northeast. Let alone FCS

I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by UA'08

Hard to build a rabid fan base for football up there. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but I can't see the avg fan getting amped about college football in the northeast. Let alone FCS

I hope I'm wrong though.

Should be no reason not to. I used to not care about college ball (FB or BB) but my brother took me to some games and now I follow UA as much as I do the Jets, Heat. Helps that I go to school here and feel a calling to support my school lol.

We are the only D1 FB show within a 2.5hr radius. We have this market cornered so to speak.

The Albany metro area (according to Wikipedia) has 1.17 million residents. You're telling me we can't find 10,000 football fans (casual or NFL diehards) and get them into college ball by being successful over the next few years? I do. I think we can find 20,000 actually. I've never been to a Jets game. I'm not okay with paying $120 for one game to sit in the upper bowl (travel included). I'd rather spend $90 and get SEASON tickets at UA. I'm sure we can sell the community on that eventually.

We aren't born fans, we develop into them. We will never be Alabama or Auburn, but there is no reason why (if we challenge for the playoffs/championship year in year out 10 years from now) that we can't sell out our stadium every game.

Edited by Ilko

I hope I'm wrong though.

Should be no reason not to. I used to not care about college ball (FB or BB) but my brother took me to some games and now I follow UA as much as I do the Jets, Heat. Helps that I go to school here and feel a calling to support my school lol.

We are the only D1 FB show within a 2.5hr radius. We have this market cornered so to speak.

The Albany metro area (according to Wikipedia) has 1.17 million residents. You're telling me we can't find 10,000 football fans (casual or NFL diehards) and get them into college ball by being successful over the next few years? I do. I think we can find 20,000 actually. I've never been to a Jets game. I'm not okay with paying $120 for one game to sit in the upper bowl (travel included). I'd rather spend $90 and get SEASON tickets at UA. I'm sure we can sell the community on that eventually.

We aren't born fans, we develop into them. We will never be Alabama or Auburn, but there is no reason why (if we challenge for the playoffs/championship year in year out 10 years from now) that we can't sell out our stadium every game.

I agree with the sentiment..but worth pointing out that there are actually 3 FBS teams within a 2hr drive of the campus..Cuse, Army and UMass. And that's ignoring FCS schools like Marist, Colgate, Cornell and Holy Cross that are all within 2.5hrs. No DI football competition in the greater capital region though.

Edited by Phoenix

I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree with the sentiment..but worth pointing out that there are actually 3 FBS teams within a 2hr drive of the campus..Cuse, Army and UMass. And that's ignoring FCS schools like Marist, Colgate, Cornell and Holy Cross that are all within 2.5hrs. No DI football competition in the greater capital region though.

That still leaves us with a potential pool of over 1 million people. Will be interesting to see how attendance does this year as we are seeing a bit of a media push.

It'll only get better. They are finally doing all the right things...indoctrinating freshman into the experience and culture, marketing properly to the community, and of course winning (in many sports) and proving our worth on the field. The pieces are in place.