UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

GDAC donations

dslyank

I am not sure how to make a GDAC contribution to a specific program. Can someone explain how?

And is it possible to make a general GDAC commitment, but EXCLUDE a specific program {aka men's football}. Currently I like to support ALL UA sports, men's and women's. But going back to the seat cushion etc. fiasco;  poor performance on the field;  a mysterious contract extension; and unresolved title IX issues, I am tired of giving money to football that I feel can be better applied elsewhere.

I moved this from football; because I am still trying to get answers to above. There is a "1844" 1 million dollar matching campaign going on 10/22 & 10/23. I would like to contribute something; but it seems to only allow me to add to my previous commitment. The category says "preferred seating" donation; which I assume means the contribution applies to all sports. I am sorry, but at this time I simply do not want any money I contribute going to football in any way or means. I would like to participate in the "1844" promotion. Anyone know I can do this without adding to football?????

A generous challenge has been issued to the University community by a Foundation board member. If UAlbany receives 1,844 gifts during the #ThisIsOurTime Giving Challenge, an additional $1 million gift will be made to the University. That's right ... $1,000,000.

Please give to the Great Dane Athletic Club (GDAC) today and help us spread the word via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, email and old-fashioned word of mouth. We have no doubt that we can make this $1,000,000 donor challenge a reality ... but we can't do it without you! Gifts of any size to GDAC are gifts in support of the This Is Our Time campaign.

The #ThisIsOurTime Challenge is on! 

Thank you for your participation and generous support today. THIS IS OUR TIME!

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

I am not sure how to make a GDAC contribution to a specific program. Can someone explain how?

And is it possible to make a general GDAC commitment, but EXCLUDE a specific program {aka men's football}. Currently I like to support ALL UA sports, men's and women's. But going back to the seat cushion etc. fiasco;  poor performance on the field;  a mysterious contract extension; and unresolved title IX issues, I am tired of giving money to football that I feel can be better applied elsewhere.

I moved this from football; because I am still trying to get answers to above. There is a "1844" 1 million dollar matching campaign going on 10/22 & 10/23. I would like to contribute something; but it seems to only allow me to add to my previous commitment. The category says "preferred seating" donation; which I assume means the contribution applies to all sports. I am sorry, but at this time I simply do not want any money I contribute going to football in any way or means. I would like to participate in the "1844" promotion. Anyone know I can do this without adding to football?????

@Eli I was contacted by someone representing a group of alumni that are boycotting the campaign and any future donations until the Title IX issue is resolved.  I explained my reluctance to withhold donations that would adversely impact current student athletes.  They shared the concern and said that they came to the decision reluctantly because they couldn't figure out how else to send a message that a change was needed.

They said (unprompted) that it got to this, in part, because of the contact renewal by Benson. It didn't make sense to me until after they explained that it called into question any of the decision making going on at the top of the Athletic Department. And that because some of the budget money is fungible, donations ear marked for one thing would make it so possible to shift money (e.g. I donate $500 to lacrosse and they just move an unrestricted $500 out of lacrosse over to football.)  

Here's the kick in the pants - they're looking to hit 1844 people to hold back donations.  I would be #923.

22 hours ago, Eli said:

Maybe this is Benson's way of raising $1M to cover the remaining salary of Gattuso' contract? LOL.

Lol, I just posted that in the other thread.

As far as withholding because of the title ix issues, that won't hold me back. Count me among the group that disagree with how title ix is applied to athletics. I'd rather the school fight it to make meaningful changes to how the rule is applied. 

It's appalling that a competitive dance team and competitive cheering team do not count towards the totals. They are both athletic, competetive, require tryouts, and are desired athletic teams. They should count.

Edit for clarity: My comment on counting dance and cheering was not a sexist remark. Guys could be on those teams as well. My point was that they are athletic teams with tryout, are desirable spots, require athletic ability, and I am sure some people come to the school to be on those teams. They really aren't any different from any other sport. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, haggyland said:

Donate a nickel and earmark it for the football program.

That way you get to score a passive aggressive dig to GG and the board member gets closer to ponying up a cool million.

Win, win.

I'm legit thinking of donating .99cents and earmark it for the "Football resuscitation fund" aka "#GreatnessKillerFund" aka "Fire Gattuso Fund"

• Like 1

I will NOT withhold funds for the football program specifically or athletics generally.  It’s too important to me and posses risk in crazy liberal New York.  They’ll just ax the damn program.

That said I give $0 to this university generally or any university.  Just athletics. These universities are too screwed up to support their crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michigan_Dane said:

I will NOT withhold funds for the football program specifically or athletics generally.  It’s too important to me and posses risk in crazy liberal New York.  They’ll just ax the damn program.

That said I give $0 to this university generally or any university.  Just athletics. These universities are too screwed up to support their crap.

I tied my donation to athletics...

On 10/24/2018 at 12:28 AM, Eli said:

Yay! No more Gatt...oh, nevermind...

Damn.  Missed that mega billions by only 5 out 6 numbers or I could have very easily bought out GG contract with a nice donation to the cause.  We still have Powerball!

• Haha 1