UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Ballooning Budget Deficit - Impact Sports Program

cwdickens

Please follow link to article in today's Times - Union:

Faced with ballooning budget gap, UAlbany looks to downsize

My thought: If you feel that sports will not be affected by this budget gap; you need only to look what other Division 1 schools have done recently....including Stanford (1 year ago +/-), places closer to home not as recent Boston University (dropped baseball despite its most honored played baseball), Northeastern (dropped football) and Hofstra (dropped football despite its history and the willingness of alumni to finance its continuance)....if people are serious about the budget gap....football for sure....baseball likely will go on the men's side...golf on the women's side....facilities improvements unlikely...the mini dome of ours will just have to blow in the wind....if you do not think Brown's departure is not associate with this, well so be it...other coaches will be targeted too as attempts to save money.....Benson as AD is likely coming to an end....no one likes being part of "crumbling" empire....dark, dark days ahead

We need to keep:

Track & Field
Football
LAX
BB
Soccer

All other sports can go.

This is the way. /mandalorian

==============

That being said, it's absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps if Benson stopped paying that 3rd party security company who knows how much money to make people leave immediately at the conclusion of a game, we'd be better off. Oh, I forgot, we are an army of chairback wielding, knock ya over the head, too-big-a-bag totin folk who need a 30 person security force.

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

We need to keep:

Track & Field
Football
LAX
BB
Soccer

All other sports can go.

This is the way. /mandalorian

==============

That being said, it's absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps if Benson stopped paying that 3rd party security company who knows how much money to make people leave immediately at the conclusion of a game, we'd be better off. Oh, I forgot, we are an army of chairback wielding, knock ya over the head, too-big-a-bag totin folk who need a 30 person security force.

Football and baseball will be the first things to go....ask the people at Northeastern....Hofstra....that was ugly....the had just recently made improvements to the stadium....they still have a large football alumni group...but the powers that be at the time saw the money spent on football could be used better...comes down to priorities...  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eli said:

We need to keep:

Track & Field
Football
LAX
BB
Soccer

All other sports can go.

Fourteen sports are required for Division I, so you need to keep at least one more (good thing track/XC counts each season separately), plus Title IX balance

1 minute ago, UAalum72 said:

Fourteen sports are required for Division I, so you need to keep at least one more (good thing track/XC counts each season separately), plus Title IX balance

Ahh. Maybe Field Hockey? They seem somewhat competitive.

3 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Football and baseball will be the first things to go....ask the people at Northeastern....Hofstra....that was ugly....the had just recently made improvements to the stadium....they still have a large football alumni group...but the powers that be at the time saw the money spent on football could be used better...comes down to priorities...  

I don't see UA canning football. Not with our basically still new stadium (note: not an old stadium which already has ROI achieved and just had some improvements done). We have YEARS to go before we get the ROI back on Casey I'm guessing.

10 minutes ago, Eli said:

I don't see UA canning football. Not with our basically still new stadium (note: not an old stadium which already has ROI achieved and just had some improvements done). We have YEARS to go before we get the ROI back on Casey I'm guessing.

Thank you for your thoughts....see you down the road.....going....going...gone...

One last time:

Number of Men's sports schedule listed on website: 7

Number of Women's sports scheduled listed website: 9

Football is the most expense of any sport in D1 / deficit concern at most schools, baseball is next because it attracts so little attention....love Mueller.....

as I have said before.... see you down the road .... going .... going .... gone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

One last time:

Number of Men's sports schedule listed on website: 7

Number of Women's sports scheduled listed website: 9

Football is the most expense of any sport in D1 / deficit concern at most schools, baseball is next because it attracts so little attention....love Mueller.....

as I have said before.... see you down the road .... going .... going .... gone

Indoor track and outdoor track are counted separately by the NCAA, so 8 and 10

2 hours ago, Eli said:

I think you are right football unlikely to go; Except as previous noted Hofstra canned football within two years of its major stadium upgrade, so anything is possible. My suggestion and has been for years [dart throwers fire away] is get back into the Northeast Conference. Probably cover the entire 15% budget cut the athletic department is being mandated. Would not be surprised if the Athletic department is made to even bare a bigger %age than the UA 15% mandate.

Anyhow, IMHO getting out of the caa; save on # of schollies, travel, equipment, etc; plus we would NOT have the competitive recruiting disadvantage we have now when going up against the SouthEast affiliated members. I know we have had this argument before and fire away, but consider lesser football better than NO football.

49 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Indoor track and outdoor track are counted separately by the NCAA, so 8 and 10

I see opportunity to cut sports teams and stay above the 14 Team requirements.  I am not saying that this is what I want.  See you down the road.....

23 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Would put UA in bigger Title IX issues than they have now. Of course, they seem to got away with so far???????????/

I meant leave Field Hockey, which would only help Title IX.