UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Going to a more appropriate name for Indian Quad

cwdickens

• cwdickens changed the title to Going to a more appropriate name for Indian Quad
2 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

I don't mind dropping "indian", no need to keep repeating Columbus' mistake. but they could've done better than Indigenous.

My first reaction somewhat similar... however I cannot think of a better one word change

"Renaming a campus road or building is not an attempt to erase our history. It is instead a signal that we will accept and learn from that collective past, and use that knowledge to forge more inclusive college communities where everyone feels at home."

Good statement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Why is this ridiculous?

It's ridiculous because they could have picked literally ANY other word but they picked one that half of the native English (read: 'Muricans) speakers I know can't even say properly.

4 hours ago, alum73 said:

I think it should have been Iroquois.

This.

Iroquois would have been a good option. Hell, call it Smith, Johnson, JimBob...anything...but that choice? Dumb and ridiculous.

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, Eli said:

It's ridiculous because they could have picked literally ANY other word but they picked one that half of the native English (read: 'Muricans) speakers I know can't even say properly.

This.

Iroquois would have been a good option. Hell, call it Smith, Johnson, JimBob...anything...but that choice? Dumb and ridiculous.

Mohawk Tower or Senaca Hall at Smith/Johnson Quad will go over real well lol.

Guess now is a good time for half of those ‘muricans to learn how to pronounce it properly 

5 hours ago, UA'08 said:

Mohawk Tower or Senaca Hall at Smith/Johnson Quad will go over real well lol.

Guess now is a good time for half of those ‘muricans to learn how to pronounce it properly 

If I had a dollar for the number of times the following has occurred in conversations, I'd have a nice little stack.

Ask = Aks (axe)
Indigenous = Indigniss, Indegenius, Indignouse
Segue = SegYou
Scenario = Scen-ah-rio

I agree, a large swath of the population ain't UAlbany grads lol. They can't all proud of their edjumacations :).

My point is they could have gone with something far simpler or more specific to this area as it relates to Native American tribes instead of such a general term which people struggle with.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

Cancel culture

Colonial Quad is next.  It’ll change to murderous imperial colonizer quad.

What happens when the number of people who hate this country outnumber those who love it?  I guess we’ll find out.  

I’ve applied for French citizenship so I have an escape hatch to an EU country... maybe there is a country where the citizens are still patriotic?

47 minutes ago, Michigan_Dane said:

Cancel culture

Colonial Quad is next.  It’ll change to murderous imperial colonizer quad.

What happens when the number of people who hate this country outnumber those who love it?  I guess we’ll find out.  

I’ve applied for French citizenship so I have an escape hatch to an EU country... maybe there is a country where the citizens are still patriotic?

You may be right..depends on how broadly the Task Group interrupts the word Colonial....as an action word as in colonization (more likely) or Colonial as to describe the time period of British rule prior to the American Revolution War (less likely)..... Schuyler Hall on Dutch Quad may be up for a name change or  might be relocated with his statue (in front of Albany City Hall) to Schuylerville, NY... no one take this as an affront to Schuylerville...few of my favorite places are there.... as an example Hudson River Crossing Park...King Bros. Dairy...Bound By Fate Brewery...Saratoga Orchard...Amigo's Cantina

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

The first victims of cancel culture but NOT the last

Mr Potato Head

Uncle Bens

Land ‘O Lakes 

Huckleberry Fin

Dr Seuss

Clarence Thomas

75 million people who voted ‘wrong’

... “and then they came for me” (if anyone remembers actual history you’ll know this quote)

When does Ford drop the Lincoln brand?  When is Washington State renamed?  When is religion too problematic?

I look forward to the coming age of the Communist Chinese.  For all their many many faults at least wokeism isn’t one of them.  I’d rather live under a Xi than AOC.

• Like 1

None of those things have been "cancelled". You can still buy Mr Potato Head, you can still buy Dr Seuss books including those six that they recently decided to stop publishing because they contain racist and offensive stereotypes. Every library in the country has a copy of Huck Finn.

You're mad about manufactured controversies and it makes you look like Chicken Little

Edited by blorp
  • Thanks 2