UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Happy Birthday Doc Sauers!!! Our past and present come together!!!

5 hours ago, KingDane said:

53 for me. Before the games were in the gym on campus.

42 years for me, 1979, Winston Royal was the star guard.  Of course some of our fellow posters were not even born yet 😳😳.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

42 years for me, 1979, Winston Royal was the star guard.  Of course some of our fellow posters were not even born yet 😳😳.

Seeing a 16 year old kid win a Moto3 (the 'D3'/Double A of professional motorcycle racing) race today made me feel old (mid-30's) but seeing posts like the ones in this thread makes me feel young hahah :) 

Edited by Eli
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Eli said:

Seeing a 16 year old kid win a Moto3 (the 'D3'/Double A of professional motorcycle racing) race today made me feel old (mid-30's) but seeing posts like the ones in this thread makes me feel young hahah :) 

My first game was 1970. I remember names like Jack Jordan, Quatrocchi, Koln, Sheridan. One old memory...didn’t they have a freshman or JV team back then? I think I was at the gym waiting for the court to clear for an intramural game I was playing in. There was a Freshman or JV game going on and just before the game  ended, a UA kid dunked on a breakaway and got T’d up. For you youngsters, they outlawed dunking for a while. 

Edited by jimbo
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

My first game was 1970. I remember names like Jack Jordan, Quatrocchi, Koln, Sheridan. One old memory...didn’t they have a freshman or JV team back then? I think I was at the gym waiting for the court to clear for an intramural game I was playing in. There was a Freshman or JV game going on and just before the game  ended, a UA kid dunked on a breakaway and got T’d up. For you youngsters, they outlawed dunking for a while. 

They sure did have a JV team in the seventies cause I tried out my sophomore year and they cut me in the 2nd round of cuts 😞. I was trying for the shooting guard position cause I was a good shooter, not so great at ball handling back then but during the tryouts, guys kept passing ball to me to bring up court I think cause they didn't want to make mistakes and show any weaknesses.  Guess they proved mine with my mediocre handle 😝 and they cut me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Might be able to top all you old timers. Saw my first UA basketball game in what is now Bishop Maggin High School winter 67-68 my freshman year. Also, saw a game in Page Hall basement Gym that winter (No sh*% they actually had pillars if not in play pretty close). Began a run of what was almost 10 years of not missing a game when UA Gym opened in the winter of 69-70.

And if I may add one better; when I en-rolled in September 1967. Physical education was a required course. Since there was no building, we took PE outside, in the tunnels and just about anywhere else. We even had to take a written final exam to get our required ½ credit requirement. My hall mates & I spent an all nighter reading the text out loud to each other (yes we had a textbook) which we all bought day one but never opened until panicking the night before the exam. But I digress. Being a gym rat and loving all sports (partaker of many master of none), I actually enrolled in a second year of PE as an elective 69-70. Doc Sauers was my handball/raquetball instructor for one segment {he was unbelievably good: he would play single against my friend & myself and we could barely score--and my friend and I were tops in that class and both of us years later competed in what was called ladder @ the Colonie Racquet Club; but Doc was the best I've ever seen.} For another segment of my PE elective I started Doc's officiating course, but changed out it was too tough and I wanted to participate not be in another academic class. Again I digress--HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

Might be able to top all you old timers. Saw my first UA basketball game in what is now Bishop Maggin High School winter 67-68 my freshman year. Also, saw a game in Page Hall basement Gym that winter (No sh*% they actually had pillars if not in play pretty close). Began a run of what was almost 10 years of not missing a game when UA Gym opened in the winter of 69-70.

1. That must have been a trend in area gyms. Statefan can confirm that old Albany High (soon to be our engineering school) had posts right on the sideline. Vincentian Institute on Madison & Partridge had them pretty close, and the former St. Columba's in Schenectady had them in the court; they were known for their 2-2-1-2 zone defense.

2. University Gym opened in the fall of  '68, my freshman year.

3. JV teams went out because they use up a year of eligibility and the scholarship would count against your total for the varsity.

Edited by UAalum72

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

And if I may add one better; when I en-rolled in September 1967. Physical education was a required course. Since there was no building, we took PE outside, in the tunnels and just about anywhere else. We even had to take a written final exam to get our required ½ credit requirement. My hall mates & I spent an all nighter reading the text out loud to each other (yes we had a textbook) which we all bought day one but never opened until panicking the night before the exam. But I digress. Being a gym rat and loving all sports (partaker of many master of none), I actually enrolled in a second year of PE as an elective 69-70. Doc Sauers was my handball/raquetball instructor for one segment {he was unbelievably good: he would play single against my friend & myself and we could barely score--and my friend and I were tops in that class and both of us years later competed in what was called ladder @ the Colonie Racquet Club; but Doc was the best I've ever seen.} For another segment of my PE elective I started Doc's officiating course, but changed out it was too tough and I wanted to participate not be in another academic class. Again I digress--HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC!

I too was a freshman in 67-68. Is my memory correct?  Did we once play a game at Mechanicville HS?

• Thanks 1

Doc looks great---can't say the same for myself.  Played 1st game for Doc in 1957.  We had a Freshman team and I played 1st half of Freshman Home games then dressed for the Varsity games.  In 4 years we were something like 72 - 29.  Beat Siena twice.  HAPPY BIRTDAY DOC!!  See you next season!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/5/2021 at 4:33 AM, jimbo said:

Yes, they did have separate varsity and jv teams. Some of the best memories of my now long life included seeing LCC getting beat twice in basketball on the same night.

• Like 2