UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East Conference: Can the conference survive the Stony Brook and Hartford departure?

cwdickens

America East Conference: Can the conference survive the Stony Brook and Hartford departure?

I cannot image the eight remaining Athletic Directors are not concern about the future of their conference and their ability to market the conference and their teams.  

Stony Brook has made a huge leap forward in my opinion for the long term.  For the Long Island sports fan....if SBU does become a full member of the CAA....this will solidify the SBU - Hofstra rivalry to the maximum level...  Perhaps, the UAlbany - Siena rivalry agreement was assisted in part to the potential SBU departure....definitely fills a vacuum...

Since the announcement of Hartford departure to DIII, I spoken to people whether or not any efforts had been undertaken to bring Bryant into the fold .... perhaps the America East should include Merrimack and Central Conn State in those discussions....

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

14 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I cannot image the eight remaining Athletic Directors are not concern about the future of their conference and their ability to market the conference and their teams.  

Stony Brook has made a huge leap forward in my opinion for the long term.  For the Long Island sports fan....if SBU does become a full member of the CAA....this will solidify the SBU - Hofstra rivalry to the maximum level...

Since the announcement of Hartford departure to DIII, I spoken to people whether or not any efforts had been undertaken to bring Bryant into the fold .... perhaps the America East should include Merrimack and Central Conn State

Nobody on Long Island gives a damn about either schools sports teams. If someone here followed college basketball locally it’s St. John’s.

Edited by UA'08

11 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Nobody on Long Island gives a damn about either schools sports teams. If someone here followed college basketball locally it’s St. John’s.

You are sadly wrong about that.....should have picked a better school perhaps Fordham.... St John still only a shadow of what the Red Storm were ....leveled big time by Creighton tonight .....UA08 ....stop reliving the Chris Mullins years....

34 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

You are sadly wrong about that.....should have picked a better school perhaps Fordham.... St John still only a shadow of what the Red Storm were ....leveled big time by Creighton tonight .....UA08 ....stop reliving the Chris Mullins years....

Lol Fordham. I am on LI, stick to following the patroons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely more of an expert than you if you think Fordham is moving the needle down here for college basketball. I will continue to follow the Mets as well as I am a glutton for punishment. How about that win by Marquette yesterday? Man was DK such a drag on that program 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Definitely more of an expert than you if you think Fordham is moving the needle down here for college basketball. I will continue to follow the Mets as well as I am a glutton for punishment. How about that win by Marquette yesterday? Man was DK such a drag on that program 

As John Dickerson would say there is shark bait in the water.....wrong thread for a Marquette comment ...  Eli is going to be sad there is another Marquette fan in the forum....and by the way thank you for confirming my 50 year perception that most people on LI are Mets fans....I am looking forward to watching the Mets play this year.....by the way....I choose Fordham because their the Bronx....

To answer this question: Can the America East survive? Yes....it can however; like others have stated elsewhere the relationship between UAlbany and the America East is stale....and does nothing to motivate the Capital District causal fan to come to our games

On 1/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, cwdickens said:

To answer this question: Can the America East survive? Yes....it can however; like others have stated elsewhere the relationship between UAlbany and the America East is stale....and does nothing to motivate the Capital District causal fan to come to our games

Winning would motivate fans to come to your games....no matter what league you are in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to be vocal about wanting UA to leave the AE and take any step up it can. Need to crawl before you can walk, with the goal to be in a multi bid basketball league and FBS football within 15 years. 

After multiple discussions on this board, my tune has changed slightly. I would still love to see that for the school, the students, the capital district fans, etc. But now I'm more reserved, and don't see it happening in that time frame. Especially with the current leadership at the school and in the state. Instead of moving up just to move up, I feel the school needs to be intelligent in making a move because it's the right move, and I don't see the CAA as the right step for SBU or UA, but I've been wrong in the past.

This current wave of moves is going to upend all of D1 sports as we know it. While the AE will survive this round of changes this year, I'm afraid of what the P5 schools and the football world is going to do with the current D1 setup. Will the NCAA move to 4 or even 5 divisions? The only thing UA should be concerned with right now is making sure it is positioned in a conference and with it's results to stay at the D1 level and growing/improving every year. For the reason, the CAA might be the right step for SBU now, and UA should be exploring all options. I'd hate to have all the progress we've made in the last 20 years be for nothing when the new NCAA setup drops us back to D2 type status while Buffalo and SBU move on at the DQ level. Hopefully we have smart enough people in athletic leadership to see what's happening and have them able to make the right move. With Gattuso being extended, I'm not sure that we do.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...