UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East Conference: Can the conference survive the Stony Brook and Hartford departure?

cwdickens

Stony Brook University has requested a review and reconsideration for conference championships..... Link to story: https://stonybrookathletics.com/news/2022/2/18/general-stony-brook-university-requests-america-east-to-reinstate-student-athletes-for-conference-championships.aspx  ......  my thought ....go pound salt....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Bryant will be member 9 to the AE.  They are likely going to the Big South for football. 

Very interesting.  I know the CAA is going to expand again but if they come asking  do we really want to be in a 16 team conference. Seems outrageous to me, Right ? 

I would be curious what other people think.  Is it really a major step up? 

9 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Very interesting.  I know the CAA is going to expand again but if they come asking  do we really want to be in a 16 team conference. Seems outrageous to me, Right ? 

I would be curious what other people think.  Is it really a major step up? 

Where does Bryant joining the AE align with Albany going to the CAA?  Not sure how these two things are tied, right now.  

Do you know something we don't?!?!  Do tell....

25 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Where does Bryant joining the AE align with Albany going to the CAA?  Not sure how these two things are tied, right now.  

Do you know something we don't?!?!  Do tell....

No I don't.  Just rumors. Complete rumors . Mostly from social media. I'm just simply saying that several sources say that the CAA wants to expand to 16 teams shortly(within a year or 2).  Our name has been mentioned and I'm simply stating I don't think that's a good thing.  A 16 team 1 bid conference seems crazy to me.  

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

So according to Sam Perkins who broke SB leaving.  Merrimack and Sacred Heart are also talking to the AE.  

Very much not accurate.  At least not on Merrimack.  He also did not break that SB was leaving; he got it from the same sources as me and others (mostly), the deal was NOT done when he said it was.  Verifiable.  Can't share any more than that...one day maybe I an say more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Very much not accurate.  At least not on Merrimack.  He also did not break that SB was leaving; he got it from the same sources as me and others (mostly), the deal was NOT done when he said it was.  Verifiable.  Can't share any more than that...one day maybe I an say more. 

I hope your right.  You seem to be in the know so I'll trust that but I would imagine every NEC team is having talks with both the macc and AE. If it's S. Heart and Merrimack then your sources are wrong, but for the AE I hope you are right !!!!! 

15 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Bryant will be member 9 to the AE.  They are likely going to the Big South for football. 

Hope you are right. IMHO athletically they will be a great fit for the AmEast. Do Not know about size wise and academics; but those factors seem to be becoming less & less important in forming leagues [i.e. small private colleges joining with larger universities, etc.] Travel & athletic budgets seem to be more of a factor than size of institution at least at the mid-major level. Anyhow, I could be totally off base on this?? 

Secondly, someone asked for opinions on the caa. I will say what I always say, it was a mistake to join the caa and if they expand to 16 {as a one bid conference} the mistake will be even more disastrous for UA. I will say what I have opined for years; what is needed is a Northeast Football conference (won't go into a complete list of who should be included; but it would start with the AmEast football playing schools.) Will say Bryant would be a good fit in an AmEast inspired northeast football conference.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, UA'08 said:

Nobody on Long Island gives a damn about either schools sports teams. If someone here followed college basketball locally it’s St. John’s.

Perhaps you are right....however when it comes to lacrosse.....the three D1 schools and the one D1 school from Queens care about each other....I received this email from Hofstra......

The Long Island Cup

The Long Island Cup will feature Hofstra, Stony Brook, LIU and St. John's, the four Division I men's lacrosse programs located on Long Island, in a two-round tournament from Hofstra's own James M. Shuart Stadium. Similar to ice hockey tournaments such as The Beanpot, the competition will last two rounds, with the second round featuring the championship and consolation games on Sunday.

Long Island Cup Schedule:

Friday, Feb. 25 @ 3 p.m.: Hofstra vs. LIU
Friday, Feb. 25 @ 6 p.m.: Stony Brook vs. St. John's
Sunday, Feb. 27 @ 12 p.m.: Championship Game
Sunday, Feb. 27 @ 3 p.m.: Consolation Game

Hofstra Fans: Secure Your Long Island Cup Tickets Now!

• Visit HofstraTickets.com
  • Click on Men's LAX LI Cup, Friday, February 25, 2022
  • Purchase your seats! One ticket is good for both games!