UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Conference Realignment- With NCAA comments

Dane96

I've been kinda quiet here but I have some back ground on this that stems even before the CAA overtures were rebuked by Albany years ago.  In short, the NCAA as many know--it's a disaster.  Haves, think you have but don't; have more than a little, happy to have a little, and really don't belong. That's a group of 350 schools.  Albany is in the happy to have a little category, otherwise known as FCS as far as spending goes.  With a little more investment ($4-8million annually), we would be in what I think is the soon to be combo of the think you have but don't and have more than a little merger (meaning the mid-majors in hoops and the low majors and FBS with the upper FCS).

I foresee regional leagues much like the 1980's and definitely what occurred before the Dayton Rule.  You may have a team in the ECAC North, the CAA, the America East, etc.  You may even be able to sponsor DIII sports for some schools.

This timely article is spot on, and even has quotes from Amy Hutcheson...her belief is likely why she jumped ship.   

One key quote, we are in the FCS Group...slightly more at 21 million spent per annum.   An increase to 25-30 per annum, something I support, is why I think we would be with the group of 5 lower teams when some of the upper teams go up:

"The disparity in athletic budgets among the 350 schools is unwieldy. Schools such as Texas, Georgia and Ohio State, with athletic budgets of at least $170 million, operate under the same umbrella as Winthrop, Chicago State and Alcorn, with budgets of less than $13 million. There are stark divisions even among the FBS. The median athletic budget is $123 million in the Power 5, $37 million in the Group of 5 and $16.7 million in the FCS."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/ncaa-future-power-5-football-basketball-money

Also, the Newsday is reporting Iona and Albany are in the hunt for the CAA.  It's true, we are on a list with about 15 other names...but we are not in the hunt from what I've been told...unless the league goes to 16 teams.    Either that, or Benson does a great job of lobbying right now...and I'd support that lobbying if I were all UA fans. 

Another big quote:

"Some, like McMillen, believe now is the time to change the AQ structure. Given the large number of D-I conferences, he says stripping AQ bids would allow leagues to consolidate, a move that would save money and create more regional rivalries. Currently, leagues are hesitant to consolidate, for fear of losing their AQ bid."

Exactly what I've been saying about the pre-1980's look.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Also, the Newsday is reporting Iona and Albany are in the hunt for the CAA.  It's true, we are on a list with about 15 other names...but we are not in the hunt from what I've been told...unless the league goes to 16 teams.    Either that, or Benson does a great job of lobbying right now...and I'd support that lobbying if I were all UA fans. 

I’ve heard a bunch on this board in the past he’s always had one foot out the door. Wouldn’t this be the perfect time to do whatever lobbying he can do to get the invite to the CAA box helping him towards his next gig?

From simple a fan perspective, taking out cost factors in the CAA, the idea of joining a new conference should bring more intrigue to the casual fan in the Capital District. Seeing the same teams every year in the America East conference can get a bit stale as someone commented on the AE Board. The CAA is something shiny and new and even if it does all blow up within the near future it makes even more sense to reap the benefits short term and figure it out later. The more I think of it good for Stony Crook and even more mind numbing that Albany already is an associate member in FB and can’t even be extended an invite.

Edited by UA'08
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, UA'08 said:

From simple a fan perspective, taking out cost factors in the CAA, the idea of joining a new conference should bring more intrigue to the casual fan in the Capital District. Seeing the same teams every year in the America East conference can get a bit stale as someone commented on the AE Board. The CAA is something shiny and new and even if it does all blow up within the near future it makes even more sense to reap the benefits short term and figure it out later. The more I think of it good for Stony Crook and even more mind numbing that Albany already is an associate member in FB and can’t even be extended an invite.

The Capital District casual fan, in my opinion, would not care whether UAlbany was in the CAA or the America East for MBB and/or WBB unless the UAlbany teams was having a significant season, playing a significant game.  I agree you that playing in the America East has the perception of being stale.  However, unless UAlbany is moving up to the Big East, the ACC or perhaps the Atlantic 10, the causal Capital District fan will be yawning however the causal Long Island fan will take note.

Stony Brook is fortunate to have a big sponsor and supporter in Hofstra University.....Newsday even referenced the relationship in their article.

Monmouth, Hampton University and Stony Brook.....a return on the dollar with TV exposure....NYC, northern New Jersey, Long Island, Norfolk-Newport News....all significant TV markets.... a wealth of potential students and student athletes.

I have not counted out UAlbany not getting a bid to join, however I see three reason why this happen for Stony Brook

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

37 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

The Capital District casual fan, in my opinion, would not care whether UAlbany was in the CAA or the America East for MBB and/or WBB unless the UAlbany teams was having a significant season, playing a significant game.  I agree you that playing in the America East has the perception of being stale.  However, unless UAlbany is moving up to the Big East, the ACC or perhaps the Atlantic 10, the causal Capital District fan will be yawning however the causal Long Island fan will take note.

Stony Brook is fortunate to have a big sponsor and supporter in Hofstra University.....Newsday even referenced the relationship in their article.

Monmouth, Hampton University and Stony Brook.....a return on the dollar with TV exposure....NYC, northern New Jersey, Long Island, Norfolk-Newport News....all significant TV markets.... a wealth of potential students and student athletes.

I have not counted out UAlbany not getting a bid to join, however I see three reason why this happen for Stony Brook

I’ll take your word for the casual CD fan and I will reiterate again SB basketball is a zero on the island. Good for them though as I had no clue they had a deal with SNY to air 6 mens home games. Like some are saying the move for them is most likely less about athletics and more about associating the school with the peers in the CAA.

Conference alignment is always about athletes for schools outside the power conferences....ex ACC, BIG10, PAC12, SEC & Big12 (then combination is : (1) money, (2) athletics & (3) academics).   Since I follow UAlbany MBB on Instragram... I was reminded of the importance of the UAlbany - Stony Brook game via their recent posting of the Peter Hooley "miracle shot" with the large contingent of SBU fans sitting stunned by what happen....two teams in the CAA in such close proximity to each other is likely a big benefit to both schools.  Peter must have gotten a chuckle when saw the video clip.

3 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

Do you really want UA to be in the CAA?  Is the CAA the best place for us financially?  Competition wise?  I don't see it but time will tell.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why don't you see it? Are you of the same galaxy brain that conveniently forgot to give UAlbany a medical school in the 60s or ripped CSTEM from us?

11 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

Do you really want UA to be in the CAA?  Is the CAA the best place for us financially?  Competition wise?  I don't see it but time will tell.

Hot take here.

If we are strictly discussing this as a sports move, why would I care about financials? Yes I know if they lose a ton of money making the move then programs will get cut blah blah blah. I get that whole part, but just like any fan that follows any sort of professional sports it isn’t my money they are spending. I know this isn’t professional sports and it’s selfish thinking, yes. To me if Albany had to drop down to D3 because it was a mistake financially moving to the CAA then it was a good run and they took a chance. The CAA is better in all aspects. If Vermont was asked to join they’d be dumb not too. Sitting tight isn’t the right move here, but what do I know. I do wonder if Albany was extended an offer to join.