UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Conference Realignment- With NCAA comments

Dane96

It's all rumors but I am hearing from people that Albany is talking to the CAA. What that means I don't know. All rumors of course but I am hearing that there are at least talks going on.  I have to think the Sefcu was a part of this.  

Being a message board if I hear something I try to let people know . Could be nothing , could be something.  

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UA1882 said:

It's all rumors but I am hearing from people that Albany is talking to the CAA. What that means I don't know. All rumors of course but I am hearing that there are at least talks going on.  I have to think the Sefcu was a part of this.  

Being a message board if I hear something I try to let people know . Could be nothing , could be something.  

It's something...

10 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Is it too late to join for Fall 2022? Would this have to start in 2023?

6 minutes ago, classof95 said:

Is it too late to join for Fall 2022? Would this have to start in 2023?

My guess is we could join in the fall.  We are already there for football and I would not take much to add us for other sports.  But again it's a guess.  That's if we are even invited.  Haha 

22 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

My guess is we could join in the fall.  We are already there for football and I would not take much to add us for other sports.  But again it's a guess.  That's if we are even invited.  Haha 

Mason left for A-10 in the fall when they moved.  I’m hearing from solid sources that this move has beem talked about by AE coaches as part of the rumor mill, with a spring exit.  
Eight tracks with everything I’ve been hearing for the last few months that Albany would be a team 15 it was already locked in and they just need to find the to Southern adds to make it happen

21 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Does the CAA have the same ESPN deal the AE has?  Football is the awful Flo

Another reason why IMHO we should NOT join the caa!!!!!!!!

Football in the caa has been a dismal failure; both on the field and attendance wise. You can all say it is because UA has/had a bad coach and worse AD, and I agree that more than likely is part of the failure. IMHO is not even close to the whole story. IMHO the caa is/was a BAD fit from the start. I was against this move from day one and admittedly probably the only one; but why you are all welcome to your opinion, I have NOT seen a single positive thing the caa has done for UA; and absolutely DO NOT see them as a viable replacement of the AmEast for UA. 

I have not wavered since day one and if anyone cares they can check my entire post history {if you really doubt or care??}:  The AmEast is the appropriate all sports league for UA; along with some sort of northeast football affiliate. With NYS support as is; little student or faculty support; and minimal community interest at best in UA athletics, the AmEast is the best fit for UA. There may be other leagues possible, but IMHO certainly NOT the caa, which at best is a minimal step up all sports wise other than football.

8 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Another reason why IMHO we should NOT join the caa!!!!!!!!

Football in the caa has been a dismal failure; both on the field and attendance wise. You can all say it is because UA has/had a bad coach and worse AD, and I agree that more than likely is part of the failure. IMHO is not even close to the whole story. IMHO the caa is/was a BAD fit from the start. I was against this move from day one and admittedly probably the only one; but why you are all welcome to your opinion, I have NOT seen a single positive thing the caa has done for UA; and absolutely DO NOT see them as a viable replacement of the AmEast for UA. 

I have not wavered since day one and if anyone cares they can check my entire post history {if you really doubt or care??}:  The AmEast is the appropriate all sports league for UA; along with some sort of northeast football affiliate. With NYS support as is; little student or faculty support; and minimal community interest at best in UA athletics, the AmEast is the best fit for UA. There may be other leagues possible, but IMHO certainly NOT the caa, which at best is a minimal step up all sports wise other than football.

You’re entitled  to your opinion but get facts straight. With less teams and lower cosrs, we still aren’t at the bottom of the CAA. We currently spend like we are in the CAA.  As for who we would be with, It would be Stony Brook, Northeastern, Drexel, Monmouth, Towson, Delaware, and Drexel.   Those are our peer schools. The whole point of the CAA expansion is to have two pod leagues. Do I agree that it would be a one bid league only for a while, yes and the presents a problem. But ultimately I believe and others believe the league will break off and we will be with the core group I just mentioned plus add in teams that fit the profile including some of those out of the current AE. Except for the missing component of BU, you were looking at a league of all the top teams from the past 25 years of the America East but now in one league. It fits and it works. 

Edited by Dane96

4 minutes ago, statefan said:

When MLAX played at Drexel, the game was only on the awful Flo

Flo is a nightmare, and those I know in the CAA world say they are already discussing deals with ESPN and other platforms.  If they indeed add Howard Albany and the rumor is campbell or North Carolina Central but more likely to be Campbell, the league’s profile is so expansive that it will be big enough to get the deal it wants.  The flo deal expired I believe this year was expiring next year

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Do I agree that it would be a one bid league only for a while, yes and the presents a problem.

There is no guarantee that it will ever be anymore than a one bid league.The power fives are not about to give-up more tournament slots in basketball. The "peer" schools you mentioned are NOT about to garner multiple lacrosse bids, nor volleyball [two UA sports I follow closely.]  Do not know for sure, but baseball, softball, soccer and most other UA sports would NOT grow or have easier tournament access in said caa or "pod caa" either.

Once again you are more than welcome to your opinions and hopes for UA athletic expansion; for me I do not see it happening, at least not in the caa.

My thought ..... Is the CAA attempting to duplicate the ACC and BIG Ten previous executed expansion efforts .... meaning establishing a footprint that extends up and down the east coast for the ACC and from the Atlantic Coast to the heartland for the BIG Ten .... more teams in the conference in hopes of having more say in the NCAA ... just a thought