UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Oct. 14-16, Team Canada is holding a training event alongside St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, UAlbany and Denver.

Got this off Inside Lacrosse. I know I did/do not have to post this for you die hards that read/follow Inside Lacrosse; but thought if I got things started, other news any has heard or rumored might also come forward.

I also saw Graydon Hogg had a hat trick in the Under 21 World Lax championship game for Canada but they lost to USA 10-12. Also, curious if anyone knows what connection Jack Vanvalkenberg has to the Native American team, which he goal tended for in the tournament; along with several other UA player whose connection was/is obvious? ha

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

I ran into two players last week, and it sounds like very few of the seniors are coming back, maybe just one perhaps two at most. They also said there will be quite a few cuts so it will be interesting to see the roster when it comes out. No idea if that will be before or after fall practices start. I think I recall hearing Coach Marr on the radio show say that with the covid classes that he might have to make cuts to get the roster to a manageable number.

10 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I ran into two players last week, and it sounds like very few of the seniors are coming back, maybe just one perhaps two at most. They also said there will be quite a few cuts so it will be interesting to see the roster when it comes out. No idea if that will be before or after fall practices start. I think I recall hearing Coach Marr on the radio show say that with the covid classes that he might have to make cuts to get the roster to a manageable number.

THANKS for the update. Blog interest lately seems to be at an all time low {especially Lax.}; so I really appreciate your posts!

Must be hard for Scott to make cuts. Seemed to ME in the past, he just kept everyone on the roster who wanted to be there and worked hard in practice. Anyhow, the numbers must be good or cuts would not be on the table? Unless the cut backs are for financial/administrative reasons, in which case I'd be most disappointed.

• Like 1

This is going back to the season that was cut short because of Covid, and the initial talk about the guys in my son's class, and who would come back. If I recall the big constraint was about how many bodies Scott could have on the roster as dictated by the athletic department. That was always Scott's M.O. and I think the cuts are more about school policy.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

This is going back to the season that was cut short because of Covid, and the initial talk about the guys in my son's class, and who would come back. If I recall the big constraint was about how many bodies Scott could have on the roster as dictated by the athletic department. That was always Scott's M.O. and I think the cuts are more about school policy.

Title 9 is most likely the reason for cuts to balance the male/female numbers.

from inside Lacrosse: 15 unheralded players that stood out in the world tournament:

Jake Piseno | D | Haudenosaunee | UAlbany  
Jack VanValkenburgh | G | Haudenosaunee | UAlbany 

Piseno is one of the better known quantities on this list. He was a second-team All-America East LSM for the Great Danes last year. His leadership and aggressiveness, playing with an inexperienced defensive group was noteworthy; he didn’t break down despite leading the way the entire tournament. VanValkenburgh was a revelation. He started for the Danes vs. UMass Lowell and appeared in six games, but saw a ton of rubber in Ireland. His 77 saves were tied for second-most in the tournament, and he was up against Pool A competition.  

ps IMHO for what it's worth:  for the most part I thought both Jack Van and Tommy Heller played better than seniors Ramos & Cassidy last year. Not that any of them really stood out?

Edited by dslyank

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, dslyank said:

Oct. 14-16, Team Canada is holding a training event alongside St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, UAlbany and Denver.

Anyone have any more information on UA's FALL BALL events/schedule??

From Inside Lacrosse here is the schedule for the above mentioned fall ball event:

Oct. 15-16

Canada vs. Everybody in Oshawa, Ont.
Canada Red vs. Denver, 9 a.m. Saturday
Canada White vs. Saint Joseph’s, 11 a.m. Saturday
Saint Joseph’s vs. Denver, 6 p.m. Saturday
Canada Red vs. Canada White, 8 p.m. Saturday
Canada White vs. UAlbany, 9 a.m. Sunday
Canada Red vs. St. Bonaventure, 11 a.m. Sunday
UAlbany vs. St. Bonaventure, 1 p.m. Sunday
Canada Red vs. Canada White, 3 p.m. Sunday

Ticketing info also available on inside lax.

No other events listed for UA. Not even an alumni game? If anyone knows differently, please correct. UA usually participates in 2 or 3 fall ball activities. May be saving them for Spring Pre-Season???????

Edited by dslyank

12 hours ago, dslyank said:

Anyone have any more information on UA's FALL BALL events/schedule??

WLAX Fall Ball schedule is out .... Scott Marr knows the schedule, so I sent an email .... Scott knows we are interested ... WLAX home 9-30 and 10-22 with three other teams 

Edited by cwdickens

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, dslyank said:
Oct. 15-16

Canada vs. Everybody in Oshawa, Ont.
Canada Red vs. Denver, 9 a.m. Saturday
Canada White vs. Saint Joseph’s, 11 a.m. Saturday
Saint Joseph’s vs. Denver, 6 p.m. Saturday
Canada Red vs. Canada White, 8 p.m. Saturday

Ticketing info also available on inside lax.

No other events listed for UA. Not even an alumni game? If anyone knows differently, please correct. UA usually participates in 2 or 3 fall ball activities. May be saving them for Spring Pre-Season???????

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, dslyank said:

Anyone know if this will be streamed? Will 2023 roster be posted soon [aka before this event]? Anyone going? I'd love a report--THANKS.

found the answer this am:

They’ll show a lot in an ambitious fall weekend that includes intrasquad scrimmages plus games vs. Saint Joseph’s, Denver, St. Bonaventure and UAlbany.

Luckily, it’s been announced that the games will be streamed on YouTube.

Did not say if a subscription required? And did not say if all games being streamed? or only those involving Team Canada?

Interesting Graydon Hogg listed on Team Canada White . Conceivably he could play in 3 games Sunday, plus 2 Saturday depending if he suits up for UA also:

Sunday, Oct. 16

• Thanks 1