UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

9 minutes ago, statefan said:

Never

I get that feeling, and right up until the end most people were calling for a lifetime contract for WB, but when he was gone those same people started saying that he was getting stale and it was time.

I'm not a LAX guy, but have really enjoyed the games I've been to. That North Carolina game in the cold rain was one of the best events I've ever attended. That was a long time ago now though.

I don't profess to know how to get this program back to the heights it has seen, but going from perennial power to middle of the pack of the AE means something needs to change. 

What can the staff do to reverse the tide? I get lots of other traditional "power" conference schools are adding the sport, but up until recently UA was a destination dream school for LAX stars. It isn't that way anymore and almost feels like we squandered the success we had and lost the opportunity to make this a flagship program that brings national accolades for athletics and helps the growth of the other programs. 

People in the know: what do they need? Maybe we can hire some of the past all-time LAX greats that are playing professionally to be part time recruiters of top talent? I know basketball schools use NBA alum to attract new students. Should we follow that lead? We have some of the greatest LAX players of all time as alum. Something tells me that they would be successful recruiters.

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

We spend tons of time in the fall and winter sports forums talking about the issues we all have with Benson and wondering/pleading for the school to move on from GG and potentially DK as well.

When does it become time to start questioning if it's time to move on from Marr? Marr is the most successful coach at UA in the D1 era. One could argue that the run WBB had with all the consecutive tourney appearances, but that was with a couple coach's (Mac and Abe). WB had some great highs for MBB, but those were sandwiched between some pretty hard times.

No other program at UA can claim it was ranked #1 in all of D1 that I can think of. The final four run was amazing. What was it 5 elite 8 appearances? A team consistently ranked in the top 25 for over a decade?

If the team doesn't win the AE this year, that will make it 5 years since the last tournament appearance. 

When do we start calling for a change here? 

Really!!!

17 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

People in the know: what do they need? Maybe we can hire some of the past all-time LAX greats that are playing professionally to be part time recruiters of top talent? I know basketball schools use NBA alum to attract new students. Should we follow that lead? We have some of the greatest LAX players of all time as alum. Something tells me that they would be successful recruiters.

I'm pretty sure, Lax alumni are involved in recruiting already. Can they do more sure. The problem with asking them for more is they do not make anywhere near what nba & nfl make$. Even those who play professional lacrosse make little and most have full time jobs to boot. Recent Lax grads not in the profession are just starting/building careers and families. A lot to ask them to help with recruiting also, even though I'm sure they do their best to help.

As for Scott, I'm not sure anyone really deserves a lifetime contract but IMHO, Scott is close. 

As for UA Lax fall to mediocrity, I have offered on this blog in the past several opinions, including expansion of the sport, the advent of the shot clock, among other reasons. I won't elaborate/expand/repeat my opinions now; but let me reiterate that the fall to ALL UA sports {yes even Track to some extent} can be blamed on lack of leadership and/or inept leadership at the top aka BENSON. I have been a minority for years and vocal that the money spent on football has had a negative effect on UA sports in general. And even if you and most disagree with this, I doubt few if anyone would argue the correlation with Benson's hiring and fall to mediocracy of UA athletics overall go handing hand. 

IMHO Benson has been particularly detrimental to lacrosse by NOT capitalizing, marketing, building when UA was as you say a top and destination program.  With the fast expansion of lacrosse across the whole COUNTRY at the high school, college and even pro level (to some extent),  Benson should have struck while the iron was hot, and what did he do NOTHING.

22 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm pretty sure, Lax alumni are involved in recruiting already. Can they do more sure. The problem with asking them for more is they do not make anywhere near what nba & nfl make$. Even those who play professional lacrosse make little and most have full time jobs to boot. Recent Lax grads not in the profession are just starting/building careers and families. A lot to ask them to help with recruiting also, even though I'm sure they do their best to help.

As for Scott, I'm not sure anyone really deserves a lifetime contract but IMHO, Scott is close. 

As for UA Lax fall to mediocrity;  I have posted several opinions, including expansion of the sport, the advent of the shot clock, among other reasons. I won't elaborate/expand/repeat my opinions now; but let me reiterate that the fall to ALL UA sports {yes even Track to some extent} can be blamed on lack of leadership and/or inept leadership at the top aka BENSON. I have been a minority for years and vocal, that the money spent on football has had a negative effect on UA sports in general. And even if you and most disagree with this, I doubt few if anyone would argue the correlation with Benson's hiring and fall to mediocracy of UA athletics overall, go handing hand. 

IMHO Benson has been particularly detrimental to lacrosse by NOT capitalizing, marketing, building when UA was, as you say a top and destination program.  With the fast expansion of lacrosse across the whole COUNTRY at the high school, college and even pro level (to some extent),  Benson should have struck while the iron was hot, and what did he do:  NOTHING.

Edited by dslyank

As long as I am ranting about Benson doing NOTHING for Lacrosse; let me go one further & give an example where he actually impeded & even embarrassed the program. 
HEADstrong Foundation Nick Colleluori Classic is a fall ball scrimmage which has been held for many years. It consist of 8 men’s &  I think 8 women teams split over 2 weekends. Hofstra & John Hopkins are sponsors & the tournament raises money in support of a Hofstra alumni. UA participated in this event on several occasions. 

The fall after UA’s final four appearance (& the beginning of UA fall from power), UA was awarded as a site host. It was suppose to be in Casey stadium with Hopkins, Vermont & Army. Not sure the exact timing but at some point Benson said the games could not be played at Casey because there was a football game @ 3pm. The lacrosse games were scheduled for 10 & 12 with a brief ceremony to follow. Benson said he could not delay the football game & would not be able to get the field ready. Fellon Field was supposedly getting new turf & also un-available. 
The games were played in the mud on make shift fields to right (looking north) of Casey. Little or no seating for fans with awful sight lines. Attendance & monies raised were diminished. 
UA has NOT been invited back to this prestigious event since, even though they had been involved several times previously. 
IMHO, Scott, UA Lacrosse, & the University overall were embarrassed by Bensons refusal to accommodate the event. When, I complained bitterly I was told to back-off & even was threatened be blocked. Know what, I don’t care anymore. 

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, statefan said:

I am guessing that since Elijah Gash's picture is on the season ticket renewal story (together with Graydon Hogg) he is still at UAlbany.  Pretty clever, huh?

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

A little update since no official news or roster being posted. We did land a DU transfer and there were a number of cuts made. Still don't know why we haven't seen a roster. One of the frustrating things, and I have to think it hurts the growth of the program is how we continually don't promote the current players and team. We can do better than this!!

Let's go Danes!

Roster now up. Gash is listed. DU transfer from Denver (thought you meant Duke) TJ Sheehan #1, listed as sophomore from Rockville CTR.  Only noticeable cuts of note Pessimetti & Tanner Hay (but brother Camden is ON the Roster.) Palandjian is BACK. Did not look that close, might have missed some.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a tremendous sense of positivity out of UAlbany’s fallball. Culturally, everything feels like the vibe you’d expect from the Great Danes. They were young last year, and it showed with helter skelter play. This year’s team is big and physical and has an infusion of really talented freshmen. Graydon Hogg has been on a new level in the fall; there’s as much depth as ever offensively blurring the lines between midfield and attack. Look for Elijah Gash to play LSM, a move that could unleash his athleticism.Casey Vock Photo

From Inside Lacrosse article: 61770efa2b916.jpgMatt Kinnear January 13th, 2023 9:00am Don't Sleep on These 10 Men's DI Teams in 2023

Anyone know/hear about any winter scrimmages? First game less than a month away. Friday 2/10 @ cuse, time tbd?? Thought I read or heard somewhere that the cuse game was @ noon; kind of an odd time for a weekday game??

ps. then 2 home February games & a 1st week in March game; the last time this happened the whether was BRUTAL for all three and then the season was canceled due to covid. HOPE history does NOT repeat itself. Pretty sure covid won't be an issue; not as optimistic about avoiding BRUTAL weather this February😝🤨.

49 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Anyone know/hear about any winter scrimmages? First game less than a month away. Friday 2/10 @ cuse, time tbd?? Thought I read or heard somewhere that the cuse game was @ noon; kind of an odd time for a weekday game??

ps. then 2 home February games & a 1st week in March game; the last time this happened the whether was BRUTAL for all three and then the season was canceled due to covid. HOPE history does NOT repeat itself. Pretty sure covid won't be an issue; not as optimistic about avoiding BRUTAL weather this February😝🤨.

Cuse.com still lists the starting time as T/B/D; further review of the MBB and WBB schedules do not appear to conflict with the lacrosse match in any manner. Apparently UAlbany showed their hand when they did not include UMASS and Penn tickets in their season ticket packages due to late afternoon starts.  if the Noon-time start holds up, the Orangemen must feel that they have a better chance to win with less UAlbany fans in the stands. 

4 hours ago, alum73 said:

Maybe they don't want their fans to see it!!

The Cuse recruitment, for incoming freshmen and portal transfers, is rated highly by Inside Lacrosse.  I would think that Cuse Athletic Department would want their fans to see this year's Cuse team sooner vs. later.

• 2 weeks later...