UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB Instagram Account is for Only Positive Comments

cwdickens

After not seeing pre-game hype about the UMass - Amherst game, I checked to see what if anything was posted recently on the UAlbany MBB Instagram account however what I discovered was that the men's basketball Instagram account status is now a private.  The account status previously was public, which allowed anyone to see what was posted and to comment about the postings.  I checked other UAlbany team's Instagram accounts, and all remain public.

I have seen a few mildly vile posts on the MBB postings.  Was the account hacked? I do not know.

If the MBB Instagram account remains private and viewing to a select few, this adds to my opinion that the Athletic Sports Administration has become overly sensitive and attempting to shield itself from criticism from its fans. Some of the posters on the forum have said the people in power within Athletics read and/or have knowledge of what we post.  Many of the Athletic powers must be unhappy with us.

Edited by cwdickens
update

14 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

After not seeing pre-game hype about the UMass - Amherst game, I checked to see what if anything was posted recently on the UAlbany MBB Instagram account however what I discovered was that the men's basketball Instagram account status is now a private.  The account status previously was public, which allowed anyone to see what was posted and to comment about the postings.  I checked other UAlbany team's Instagram accounts, and all remain public.

I have seen a few mildly vile posts on the MBB postings.  Was the account hacked? I do not know.

If the MBB Instagram account remains private and viewing to a select few, this adds to my opinion that the Athletic Sports Administration has become overly sensitive and attempting to shield itself from criticism from its fans. Some of the posters on the forum have said the people in power within Athletics read and/or have knowledge of what we post.  Many of the Athletic powers must be unhappy with us.

What was mildly vile on those Instagram posts? I don't follow anything but the main UA account on Instagram.

As for athletic powers being unhappy with us - who gives a douce? They'll all be jobless soon enough (hopefully) after absolutely destroying a once competitive and proud athletic program. The sooner that building gets cleaned out the better. Start with Benson.

13 minutes ago, Eli said:

What was mildly vile on those Instagram posts? I don't follow anything but the main UA account on Instagram.

As for athletic powers being unhappy with us - who gives a douce? They'll all be jobless soon enough (hopefully) after absolutely destroying a once competitive and proud athletic program. The sooner that building gets cleaned out the better. Start with Benson.

Follow the link to all the sports social media accounts:

https://ualbanysports.com/sports/2020/10/9/social-media-home

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Wtf are you talking about vile posts by the account. I follow the account and there has been ZERO vile posts. Stop spreading fake $iena.

59 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Wtf are you talking about vile posts by the account. I follow the account and there has been ZERO vile posts. Stop spreading fake $iena.

Well, I too have followed the account, I have seen at least two comments which I felt in poor taste, however; there may be more as I can started to glance at the pictures and the ualbany mbb first comment and moved on as they were silly at best and just plain over the hill hype.   The fact remains that account has gone private unlike any other UAlbany athlete team's Instagram account.  Perhaps someone or more was "DMing" (Direct Messaging) the athletic department via the Instagram account much to their dismay. 

The MBB Instagram account can be a signal that something is up.  The MBB Instagram account went silent right after our loss in AE Conference Tournament, while other out of season and in season teams were posting about the March Madness Fund Raiser.  I took this as a signal something was wrong with MBB, while not knowing anything about Killings suspension.

1 minute ago, cwdickens said:

Well, I too have followed the account, I have seen at least two comments which I felt in poor taste, however; there may be more as I can started to glance at the pictures and the ualbany mbb first comment and moved on as they were silly at best and just plain over the hill hype.   The fact remains that account has gone private unlike any other UAlbany athlete team's Instagram account.  Perhaps someone or more was "DMing" (Direct Messaging) the athletic department via the Instagram account much to their dismay. 

The MBB Instagram account can be a signal that something is up.  The MBB Instagram account went silent right after our loss in AE Conference Tournament, while other out of season and in season teams were posting about the March Madness Fund Raiser.  I took this as a signal something was wrong with MBB, while not knowing anything about Killings suspension.

It's completely public.  Is your VCR flashing 12:00 too?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

So the comments were vile? You do realize that Instagram is littered with spam nowadays and for a public account anyone can post and view anything. The account is alive and well. Maybe you should just follow it instead of lurking on Instagram.

Was commuting earlier but have verified that https://www.instagram.com/ualbany_mbb/ is completely public and NOT private. Maybe you were just blocked?

I looked at a few posts and there is one single comment from a coachjohn44 saying that DK should be fired (no surprise there) because of what has happened the past few months. Hardly vile.

Edited by Eli

5 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I see the account as being public.  

Edited by Dane96

• cwdickens changed the title to MBB Instagram Account Status changed to Private Status - Update (N0, I have been blocked)
3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

i spoke with an insider, I have concluded that I have been blocked from the @ualbany_mbb account.

I'm honestly surprised. Did you reply to their stuff? What do you presume the grounds of you being banned were? This is the drama we all need because the product on the court/field is terrible.

Are you coachjohn44? LOL.

• cwdickens changed the title to MBB Instagram Account is for Only Positive Comments - Update I was blocked for a less than positive comment.

Apparently, the other D1 school in the area is having a problem with the posting on and via their social media accounts despite having a winning record a better chance in the post season:

SIENA MEN’S BASKETBALL

Coach goes on the defensive

Maciariello said it’s ‘really disappointing’ regarding online abuse toward team

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F09&id=Pc0140800&ext=.jpg&ts=20230209083340

Hans Pennink / Times Union archive Siena coach Carmen Maciariello said people can contact him if they have a problem with his team.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F09&id=Pc0180700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230209083340
Jenn March / Times Union archive

Siena’s Jordan Kellier, shown earlier this season, is out after foot surgery. He got his cast off a week ago. His next visit to the doctor comes in two weeks.

LOUDONVILLE — Before diving into this weekend’s games, Siena men’s basketball coach Carmen Maciariello used his weekly media availability on Wednesday to call out abuse of his players on social media.

Maciariello said it happens after “a lot” of games, most recently following losses at Manhattan last Friday and against Niagara on Sunday.

“Obviously, we don’t aim to lose basketball games,” Maciariello said before taking any questions. “But the fact that we have people that want to call out athletes on social media and sent direct messages and post things that are hurtful to my players, it’s really disappointing that people in the world want to hide behind computer screens and text pads and cell phones, right?”

Maciariello referred some of the specifics to Siena assistant athletic director for communications Mike Demos, who monitors the team’s social media accounts.

Demos said the basketball program’s Instagram account gets flooded with profane and racist comments that sometimes tag individual players. Demos, who works quickly to scrub them, said some comments seems to come from either recently created anonymous accounts or “bots” — programs that perform automated, repetitive, pre-defined tasks.

“If anyone has an issue or wants to talk about what we do, I’m readily accessible,” Maciariello said. “I think maybe (UMass head coach) Frank Martin had the same message to his fans with people wanting to say hurtful things about his players and his program, but to send and write hurtful messages about guys if they miss a shot or miss a free throw or think that they’re doing something other than the best they can, shame on them. I think that’s a problem in today’s society, too. People want to hide behind keyboards and computer screens and not act like genuine, real people.”

Maciariello suspected some hostility “probably” comes from online gamblers who lose money on Siena games, which carry a point spread.

After Siena’s two-point loss to Niagara, one Twitter account tweeted at a Times Union writer, “Absolutely (expletives) couldn’t win when the spread was -9. Garbage team.”

“They’re people that really have no feel and they think that our players have something to do with that,” Maciariello said. “All we try to do is win the game, whether it’s a point or 10 points. Doesn’t matter to me. We just want to win.”

Maciariello addressed the issue on Wednesday after his players had already talked to the media about their upcoming games at Mount St. Mary’s on Friday and at home against Marist on Sunday.

“I think we’re doing a really good job of giving these guys an opportunity to be successful and they’re working their tails off and so I just want to make sure I got that off my plate because it really didn’t put me in a good mood,” Maciariello said.

Siena waits on injured players

Maciariello said he was uncertain whether either sophomore point guard Javian McCollum (back) or freshman guard Michael Eley (illness) will be back for the game at Mount St. Mary’s.

They both missed the 56-54 home loss to Niagara on Sunday.

Maciariello said McCollum is feeling “better” and Eley still feels “pretty lethargic.”

The Saints are flying to Maryland on Thursday morning and practicing there on Thursday night. Their shootaround is Friday morning.

“Can both play? I don’t know,” Maciariello said. “Doc’s got to look at both of them again before they’re kind of a full go, but they’re cleared to do some things, which is a positive.”

Maciariello said senior forward Jordan Kellier, who had foot surgery on Jan. 16, had the cast off a week ago. He’s in a boot and still using crutches. He’s due to go back to the doctor in two weeks.

“It’s going to be up to the doc,” Maciariello said.

“It’d be great if we had another body. I’m not sure we will, but we’re hoping we do.”

Edited by cwdickens
clarify

• cwdickens changed the title to MBB Instagram Account is for Only Positive Comments