UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 29 / Conference Game 14 Feb 18 (Sat) 2:00 PM Orono, ME Orono, ME The Pit in Memorial Gymnasium

Sorry Eli, the "fat lady" has not sung yet.  Despite, the train wreck the not-so-Great Danes MBB still have a chance.

Feb 18 (Sat) 2:00 PM
AE
at 
Orono, Maine, The Pit in Memorial Gymnasium

ESPN3.png

May I suggest to the MBB team and coaches, dinner at Pedro's, Kennebunkport ME, win or lose, you can count on a great Mexican cuisine.

I mentioned to my wife that our MBB is traveling to Maine today ... she said good luck to them. The NWS forecast for Orono ME:

Today

Rain, freezing rain, and sleet before 1pm, then freezing rain and sleet between 1pm and 5pm, then snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain after 5pm. Some thunder is also possible. High near 36. North wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight
Snow, mainly before 9pm. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -2. North wind 11 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes looking for 1st winning streak

Victory over Maine would also benefit chase for playoff spot

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F18&id=Pc0110500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230218080233
Jenn March / Special to the Times Union

UAlbany freshman Jonathan Beagle shoots while pressured by UMBC defenders at McDonough Sports Complex in Troy on Wednesday. Beagle finished with 16 points, 15 rebounds and four assists in the victory.

ALBANY — With the postseason on the line, the University at Albany men’s basketball team needs to do something it hasn’t done all season: win two games in a row.

The Great Danes (7-21, 2-11 America East) are still 2 1 /2 games behind NJIT (7-18, 4-8) and Maine (10-15, 4-8). UAlbany gets another chance against both teams, starting with a trip to Maine at 2 p.m. Saturday in Orono.

“We’re definitely more upbeat. Today in practice was definitely a better practice than it was in the past, but we’re definitely more confident, upbeat and ready to go,” freshman forward Jonathan Beagle said of the team’s mood after beating UMBC on Wednesday night for its first win in 10 games.

A loss at Maine doesn’t mathematically eliminate UAlbany from the postseason, but the Great Danes would need to beat NJIT and win the regular-season finale at first-place Vermont, a team they’ve beaten once since 2016. NJIT would also have to lose to Vermont, Bryant and New Hampshire. In that scenario, UAlbany wins the tiebreaker. UAlbany and NJIT would have split the season series, but the Great Danes would have a better record against Vermont. The Highlanders would only win the tie if UMBC passed Vermont in the standings, which the Retrievers can’t do.

Last time UAlbany played Maine, the Great Danes, caught off-guard by Maine’s zone defense, allowed the Black Bears to rally from a 13-point deficit.

“I thought we were going to break the game open, and they go zone. And it changed our rhythm, it changed our confidence,” UAlbany coach Dwayne Killings said. “We got tentative and we questioned ourselves.”

He covered zone Thursday in film, and the team practiced against it Friday.

“Even going against our coaches, you can see, it’s like guys second guess. And what I say to our guys is, if you like it, I love it. Just go after it. If you like the shot, go do it. If you like the pass, go do it. But you can’t be in between because the zone makes you second-guess and process what you’re about to do because it’s a different flow,” Killings said.

Freshman forward Jonathan Beagle, who scored 16 points but didn’t have any points in the final 12 minutes against Maine, hadn’t seen much zone before that game.

“In the zone, they kind of play with your mind a little bit, they’ll sag off you and make you take shots and make you feel pressured to make them, so I just think having confidence is how I have to go into this Maine game,” Beagle said Friday.

Beagle had four assists to go along with 16 points and 15 rebounds in Wednesday’s win.

“Coming in, that’s what I wanted to be, is more of a play-maker. Scoring comes every game,” he said. “Right now, playmaking I think is my best trait.”

“Sometimes playing through Jonathan has been really helpful for us, and sometimes we get away from it, and we got to stay with it,” Killings said.

Taking care of the ball is another key for the Great Danes. Turnovers cost them opportunities to take back the lead from Maine in the final minutes of their first game against the Black Bears, and UAlbany averages 13.4 turnovers per game, third most in the America East.

Maine sophomore guard Kellen Tynes, meanwhile, leads the country with 3.08 steals per game and 77 steals on the season. Tynes also averages 13.9 points per game, second on the team. Fifth-year guard Gedi Juozapaitis leads the Black Bears with 15 ppg, and junior forward Peter Filipovity averages 6.1 rebounds per game.

Injuries: Sophomore forward Aaron Reddish is questionable with an inner ankle sprain and didn’t practice Friday. He drew contact going for a layup 10 minutes into Wednesday’s game and took a minute to get up. Reddish limped off the court after making both free throws and did not return.

UAlbany at Maine

■› When: 2 p.m. Saturday

■› Where: The Pit, Orono, Maine

■› Stream: ESPN3;

■› Radio: WTMM 104.5 FM ▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel

Got down big early and just couldn't complete the comeback. Davis with a crazy second half hitting everything including a further than half court buzzer beater to make the final score only a 2 point loss. Pivotal turnover with about 10 seconds left down by 3 was the end of the comeback opportunity.

Fat lady hasn't sung yet, but the magic number for elimination is now 1.

UA needs to beat NJIT at home next Sat, and Vermont at Vermont on the 28th. NJIT needs to lose their final 4. Tonight at home vs. Vermont, Bryant at home on Wednesday, at UA on Sat, and @ NH next week. 

UA finishing 2-0 and NJIT going 0-4 would result in a tie in the standings. Head to head split, both teams were swept by Bing, both teams split with UMBC, both teams swept by UVM and Bryant, UA's win against UML would be the tie breaker.

Chances are pretty extremely low since UA beating UVM is probably not going to happen, but I can definitely see NJIT losing the next 4.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Got down big early and just couldn't complete the comeback. Davis with a crazy second half hitting everything including a further than half court buzzer beater to make the final score only a 2 point loss. Pivotal turnover with about 10 seconds left down by 3 was the end of the comeback opportunity.

Fat lady hasn't sung yet, but the magic number for elimination is now 1.

UA needs to beat NJIT at home next Sat, and Vermont at Vermont on the 28th. NJIT needs to lose their final 4. Tonight at home vs. Vermont, Bryant at home on Wednesday, at UA on Sat, and @ NH next week. 

UA finishing 2-0 and NJIT going 0-4 would result in a tie in the standings. Head to head split, both teams were swept by Bing, both teams split with UMBC, both teams swept by UVM and Bryant, UA's win against UML would be the tie breaker.

Chances are pretty extremely low since UA beating UVM is probably not going to happen, but I can definitely see NJIT losing the next 4.

Danes aren't going to beat Vermont, but if they finish with all wins while NJIT finishes with all losses, Danes would be 1-1 vs Vermont while NJIT is 0-2 I think 

Edited by bob87

19 minutes ago, bob87 said:

Danes aren't going to beat Vermont, but if they finish with all wins while NJIT finishes with all losses, Danes would be 1-1 vs Vermont while NJIT is 0-2 I think 

NJIT has 4 games left including today. Pretty good chance they go 0-4, but might go 2-2 (winnable against us and NH)

We aren't beating UVM, but if we don't, then no playoffs. Finishing 1-1 with the last 2 games isn't enough. The Fat lady is definitely doing her "me may ma mo moos" and scales to warm up her singing voice.

UA losses + NJIT wins must equal 0 over the remainder of the season or the team streams the first round of the playoffs from their dorm rooms.

Edit: just realized what you are saying. The win vs. UVM would be the tie breaker, not the UML win. Thanks, wasn't thinking about that when I posted originally.

Edited by godanesgo99

Yes, our hopes for the eight seed remains a dim hope, Vermont faces a challenge for the #1 seed from Binghamton, Bryant and perhaps UAlbany in their last three games.  Perhaps UAlbany will save the best for last.

SCHOOL CONF CPCT. OVERALL PCT. STREAK
Vermont 11-2 .846 17-10 .630 W9
UMass Lowell 9-5 .643 22-7 .759 W2
Binghamton 8-5 .615 12-14 .462 L1
Bryant 7-6 .538 16-10 .615 L2
New Hampshire 7-6 .538 12-13 .480 W1
UMBC 7-7 .500 17-12 .586 L2
Maine 5-8 .385 11-15 .423 W1
NJIT 4-9 .308 7-19 .269 L2
UAlbany 2-12 .143 7-22 .241 L1

12 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

NJIT just lost in OT to UVM. Was some questionable calls. NJIT coach going crazy. Screaming some clear obscenities you didn't have to be a lip reader to read.

Still alive at least until Wednesday when NJIT hosts Bryant.

Coach Mullins has a few choice words for the women's refs after what they allowed tha Maine coach get away with in the last few secconds of the game.