UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WBB - Transfer Portal News

Per https://heatcheckcbb.com/womens-basketball-transfer-portal-comprehensive-transfer-list-for-2023-24 as of 4/13 the following players have entered the portal:

Grace Heeps, 5-11, G, Sr. (4.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg) - xfering to Canisius
Taylor Moffat, 5-8, G, Fr. (0.3 ppg - 9 games)
Morgan Haney, 5-8, G, Jr. (6.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg) 
Taniya Hanner, 6-1, F, Sr. (1.9 ppg)
Karyn Sanford, 6-0, G, Fr. (2.1 ppg) 
Freja Werth, 6-1, G, Soph. (5.1 rpg, 3.5 rpg)

Wonder why the exodus? Admittedly, I only follow the ladies a little. I root for them and have gone to a few games, but I don't know the team well. Haney, Worth, and Heeps seem like pretty big pieces, and I though Sanford was supposed to be an up and coming rotation player. 

Anyone know if this is just the modern reality? Players looking to either move up for a bigger program or down for playing time? 

When you were a starter and star in high school ... you have similar expectations for college days ... sometimes reality sets in or that feeling your talents are not appreciated and that post season chat with the coach you heard things that stinged or the educational challenges are more then you expected ... for others it is the adventure of trying something new ... the portal has made this happen.

Coaches and fans of the team need to get use to this constant change.

As I said to Jonathan Beagle on Friday afternoon, "thank you for returning for another season", however, I have no expectation that he will stay for all four years.

Edited by cwdickens
update & clarification

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jimbo said:

Regardless of the new portal reality, this is not a good look for UA WBB. 

Yes, sometimes stating what has been apparent to many of us, alerts others to the concerns about the WBB program for the immediate future.  While others have wondered about the underlying issue and/or issues, no one has offered any insight for the numerous transfers.  If anyone has a clue, please share.

The type of news that I rather be sharing .... news about those who want to play for Great Dane Nation:

Women's Basketball Rounds Out 2023-24 Newcomers

Editorial Comment:  In the end, Collen Mullen has demonstrated an ability to recruit talent via the portal.  Further, Collen and her staff have demonstrated the ability to bring players together and this year's team should be no different.

Edited by cwdickens
Editorial Comments Added