UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB 2023-2024 Out of Conference Basketball Games Announced or Identified

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Siena, UAlbany men’s basketball to visit UMass next season

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F06%2F07&id=Pc0140400&ext=.jpg&ts=20230607061323
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany head basketball coach Dwayne Killings and his team will open next season Nov. 6 at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, where Killings started his college playing career as a walk-on.

The Siena and University at Albany men’s basketball teams will both play at the University of Massachusetts of the Atlantic 10 next season.

UAlbany will open its season Nov. 6 against UMass in Amherst, a source confirmed. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein first tweeted the matchup without mentioning a date.

It will be the second straight year UAlbany plays at UMass, where coach Dwayne Killings began his college playing career as a walk-on. The Great Danes lost 87-73 in Amherst last Dec. 5.

The Saints will take on the Minutemen on Saturday, Dec. 30 at Mullins Center, according to a tweet from Rocco Miller, a college basketball analyst who specializes in scheduling. Siena head coach Carmen Maciariello said the school can’t announce it because they don’t have all the contracts.

Siena hasn’t played UMass since Nov. 14, 2014, a 95-87 Minuteman victory in Amherst.

The Minutemen went 15-16 overall last season, 6-12 in the A10, in their first year under head coach Frank Martin, who previously coached at South Carolina and Kansas State.

Siena hires Farrell

Siena is hiring Andy Farrell, who spent the past six years at Dayton, as a men’s basketball assistant coach.

With the Flyers, Farrell served as a special assistant to head coach Anthony Grant and recruiting coordinator.

“Thrilled to be headed to Albany, NY to be joining the @SienaMBB coaching staff!” Farrell tweeted Friday.

He fills the final assistant coaching vacancy on Maciariello’s staff, joining assistants Bobby Castagna and Derek Brooks, who was recently promoted from director of basketball operations. Jonathan Pickett, previously special assistant to Maciariello, moves into the operations spot.

Farrell, a Dayton, Ohio native and Dayton graduate, served as a student manager for the men’s basketball team. He headed to VCU and worked there as a graduate assistant coach and video coordinator under Grant.

After that, Farrell worked at DePaul, Long-wood and Southwest Mississippi Community College before returning to Dayton in 2017.

UAlbany signings

In the past week, the UAlbany men’s program announced the signings of 6-1 point guard Sebastian Thomas, 6-5 forward Muneer Newton and 6-3 guard Tyler Bertram.

Thomas spent the previous two years at the University of Rhode Island. The Providence, R.I. native played in 31 games last year and averaged 5.9 points, 2.8 assists and 2.3 rebounds.

“I am super excited to get started at UAlbany and go to work,” Thomas said in a news release. “I have already built a good relationship with both the staff and team.

Newton, from Philadelphia, averaged 10.9 points and 8.2 rebounds last season at William Penn, an NAIA school in Oskaloosa, Iowa. He played two seasons there.

“Muneer immediately enhances our athletic ability in the front court with his explosive and determined effort on both offense and defense,” Killings said in a news release.

Bertram, from Cooperstown, has played for Alabama-Birmingham, Binghamton and UNC-Charlotte. He averaged 9.7 points with Binghamton from 2020-22 for UAlbany’s America East foe.

Are they really playing Quinnipiac and Army twice. 

Also based on the fundraiser that ended yesterday, at umass (that is mentioned above) and at Harvard (which wasn't mentioned) 

These 2 games were the options on the travel with the team item

3 hours ago, bob87 said:

Are they really playing Quinnipiac and Army twice. 

Also based on the fundraiser that ended yesterday, at umass (that is mentioned above) and at Harvard (which wasn't mentioned) 

These 2 games were the options on the travel with the team item

I could swear I read it's a MTE playing both teams home and away.

I could be wrong and it could just be one game against each.

Edit: it's probably just home against one and away against one.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for someone to start a Pre-Season NYS Basketball Tournament, like the preseason NIT or something like that....

23 Division 1 Basketball Teams in NYS

NYC/Long Island

• Columbia
  • Fordham
  • Hofstra
  • LIU
  • Manhattan
  • St Francis
  • St Johns
  • SBU
  • Wagner

Upstate / East / Albany

• Iona
  • Marist
  • Siena
  • UA
  • West Point

Upstate / Central / Syracuse

• Colgate
  • Cornell
  • Binghamton
  • Syracuse
  • Lemoyne (new to D1)

Upstate / West / Buffalo

• Canisius
  • Niagara
  • St. Bonaventure
  • UB

Seems like it would be a no-brainer to run - gets everyone some easy to schedule OOC games for the preseason and have some in-state rivalries created. Have a 4 sites with games on Friday/Sat/Sun to narrow the field down to 4, then a championship weekend rotating around the state each year for the semi's on Friday and Championship on Sunday (Buffalo year 1, NYC Year 2, Syracuse Year 3, Albany year 4). Could pretty easily schedule brackets so people in the same conference could only meet in a championship game, and could have multiple consolation games to help fill out everyone's schedule.  If they wanted to make it 32 teams to add a weekend or make even brackets you could easily add some D2 schools or some of the better D3 basketball programs / SUNY Schools. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I could swear I read it's a MTE playing both teams home and away.

I could be wrong and it could just be one game against each.

Edit: it's probably just home against one and away against one.

Yeah,  one at home . One away makes more sense.

14 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to start a Pre-Season NYS Basketball Tournament, like the preseason NIT or something like that....

23 Division 1 Basketball Teams in NYS

NYC/Long Island

• Columbia
  • Fordham
  • Hofstra
  • LIU
  • Manhattan
  • St Francis
  • St Johns
  • SBU
  • Wagner

Upstate / East / Albany

• Iona
  • Marist
  • Siena
  • UA
  • West Point

Upstate / Central / Syracuse

• Colgate
  • Cornell
  • Binghamton
  • Syracuse
  • Lemoyne (new to D1)

Upstate / West / Buffalo

• Canisius
  • Niagara
  • St. Bonaventure
  • UB

Seems like it would be a no-brainer to run - gets everyone some easy to schedule OOC games for the preseason and have some in-state rivalries created. Have a 4 sites with games on Friday/Sat/Sun to narrow the field down to 4, then a championship weekend rotating around the state each year for the semi's on Friday and Championship on Sunday (Buffalo year 1, NYC Year 2, Syracuse Year 3, Albany year 4). Could pretty easily schedule brackets so people in the same conference could only meet in a championship game, and could have multiple consolation games to help fill out everyone's schedule.  If they wanted to make it 32 teams to add a weekend or make even brackets you could easily add some D2 schools or some of the better D3 basketball programs / SUNY Schools. 

What seems like a no brainer to you, factor in 23 Athletic Directors, 23 MBB Coaches, 10 conferences and strength of schedule concerns for some, schools looking to schedule away money games and long-term schedule commitments (ex, Syracuse-Colgate, Bonnies vs Siena & Canisius) well this good idea remains just a good idea.

6 hours ago, cwdickens said:

What seems like a no brainer to you, factor in 23 Athletic Directors, 23 MBB Coaches, 10 conferences and strength of schedule concerns for some, schools looking to schedule away money games and long-term schedule commitments (ex, Syracuse-Colgate, Bonnies vs Siena & Canisius) well this good idea remains just a good idea.

Also there are plenty of ncaa regulations that come in to play here. As a fan I don't have to worry about them but schools do when scheduling.  I am pretty sure teams are limited to 1 "exempt " event per season. I think these events can't have more than 1 team from any conference.  I think recently when a conference  shuffle put 2 teams from the same conference in an event, one of the teams moved to  different event 

Edited by bob87

Agreed and understood on the rules and multiple athletic departments and why it hasn't happened yet, but it just seems like such a no brainier to do and would help out schools and draw a lot of fans. With conference realignment and other rule changes happening rapidly in the NCAA I don't see any issues with conference members in the same pre-season MTE as long as they couldn't meet until a championship game. 

Who would care about SOS? Maybe Syracuse? But honestly this would probably make their OOC schedule harder as they always play multiple low major schools every year to have a great record going into January. 

Again, just a pipe dream of mine that I wish someone with the ability to set it up would set it up. 

Yes there are multiple schools and ADs involved, but if it's limited to 16 teams, then you market it as only the first 16 to sign up get in. As long as you had buyin from St. Johns and Syracuse, getting 16 shouldn't be hard. Then you have two weekends of games set regionally.

Edited by godanesgo99

• 2 weeks later...

Any home OOC games??  Why renovate SEFCU/BROADVIEW if they are still going to run an 8away—4home schedule???  And please don’t use it may be not done in time excuse.  What ever happened to “if you build it they will come.”

ps. And bringing in D2-3 teams will not pay for renovations 😟☹️

On 6/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, dslyank said:

Any home OOC games??  Why renovate SEFCU/BROADVIEW if they are still going to run an 8away—4home schedule???  And please don’t use it may be not done in time excuse.  What ever happened to “if you build it they will come.”

ps. And bringing in D2-3 teams will not pay for renovations 😟☹️

Either Quinnipiac or Army will be home. Not sure which. I think the 2 games only counts as 1 game for limits because it is a MTE. That means 14 or 15 OOC games could be on the schedule. 

I don't think any other home games have been announced yet. My bet is that is because no one has a firm date yet for a game in Albany thanks to construction questions. 

I would hope we 5 or 6 at home. Need a few more road $ games.

12 hours ago, bob87 said:

Rothstein tweeted today Albany vs Temple at Barclay December 10 as part of a quadruple header.  Other 3 games St John's / BC,  Colorado/Miami and Fordham/ north Texas. 

This is SO smart. Love this.  UA should be playing at least 1 game a year in NYC.

23 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

This is SO smart. Love this.  UA should be playing at least 1 game a year in NYC.

YES.

AND also should be working on playing an even number of home/road OOC games every year. WHY renovate Broadview and WHY buy season tickets only to see other AmEast teams, a couple DIIs & IIIs, and maybe 2-3 mid/low major DI teams {if we are lucky?}