UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: Delaware to Conference USA

IMHO. My answer is NO to all of the above. I know most disagree with me and I respect that. But personally I have NOT seen any evidence (or very little) that the CAA helps UA significantly more than the AmEast. And in fact, the CAA without a doubt by it bloated size and # of teams make it MORE difficult to win ncaa bids.

23 hours ago, dslyank said:

I was NEVER for UA joining the CAA and especially vehement against joining for ALL SPORTS. I am NOT trying to re-start an old argument/discussion; and I respect that most on this board have been strong CAA proponents. 

Just wanted to point out adding teams [up to 16 now for football, almost half are football only.] has NOT increased opportunity or number of ncaa CAA participants. And for all other CAA sports which are predominantly and usually just 1 BID entries, the chances of participating in ncaa tournaments become MORE difficult with the number of teams that participate in the conference. 

Its just math;  in basketball in the AmEast UA has a 1 in 9 chance (of course quality and a lot of other factors enter in.)  In lacrosse UA has a 1-8 or 1-7 (2025 Merrimack out) and even higher as AmEast has been a 2 bid conference multiple times over the years. Not sure what CAA's all sports participant totals are but betting 1 in X  NOT good unless they could figure out a way to get multiple bids, which IMHO ain't happening. 

Agree on other sports but CAA is better than the NEC for football by tenfold 

• Like 1

Richmond fan here.  The CAA offers the opportunity to get multiple bids to the FCS playoffs.  This year we got 4 bids, some years we have gotten 5 bids. The CAA is one of the top 3 elite leagues in FCS.  There are 8 teams in the CAA that have had success at the FCS level. These are Villanova, New Hampshire, Maine, W&M, Richmond, Elon, Towson, and Albany. 

Other former CAA teams, including JMU, ODU, UMass and Delaware made the jump to FBS. The CAA allows that to happen.  Right now, seeding really favors the Western teams.  It is not fair, but those are the rules.  

That changes if Albany beats SDSU.

I think Albany has the opportunity to really make a statement.  Your team is positioned for long term high level success in the FCS.  You could replicate JMU's experience. No other league affords you that chance.

Edited by Stonewall D
  • Thanks 3

The problem is not really football. Obviously the CAA has earned respect over the years with multiple ncaa bids nearly every year. The problem as I see it, is their push to increase ALL SPORTS membership; WITHOUT doing anything to make those non football sports more respected, more competitive and without offering multiple ncaa bid opportunities. Even caa football is not what it use to be with departures like old D, jmu, and now Delaware. Their additions IMHO have not really added much, except having too many teams making it difficult to crown a definitive champion. 

The lowly Mac has done the same thing; and the only thing they have accomplished besides getting more lowly is allow members to play each other more and play OOC less.

More is simply NOT always better!

• Like 1

There are some real stinkers in CAA basketball.  William and Mary has never made the NCCAM basketball tournament.  They only made the CAA finals once.  Many of these schools have never invested in their basketball facilities or programs.  JMU only recently made this change.  If JMU had made investments in its hoops, it would now be in the Big 10.  JMU's long-term plan is to join the Big 10.

Edited by Stonewall D

1 hour ago, Stonewall D said:

There are some real stinkers in CAA basketball.  William and Mary has never made the NCCAM basketball tournament.  They only made the CAA finals once.  Many of these schools have never invested in their basketball facilities or programs.  JMU only recently made this change.  If JMU had made investments in its hoops, it would now be in the Big 10.  JMU's long-term plan is to join the Big 10.

My long term plan is to be a billionaire.  JMU won't sniff the B1G during our lifetimes. That said, the CAA's allure has long faded for me.  I was a proponent however, the league's primary sports (outside of Baseball and softball) is just completely down in the all-sport realm.  I would take AE lax, soccer, and volleyball over the CAA's.  I am excluding swimming, golf, etc. from this analysis.  I would also argue that right now, men's and women's basketball in the AE is equal, if not better than the AE.  Track and Field, while new to the CAA as a conference sport, is slightly stronger in the CAA due to the NC A&T add to NU.  That said, the mid-top of the AE is now seriously, and regularly, challenging Albany and I think overall, the AE has a better top-to-bottom track and field group. 

My only allure to the CAA--right now--is two-fold: 1) ensuring the the football product is protected.  I think every single CAA Football team is better off playing together; and 2) I do, very firmly believe, that the CAA will break up at some point...and I think being affiliated with the mid-atlantic / northern flank would be great.  I do not believe the PL will expand, they are less proactive than the AE...and that is saying much.

However, if the AE is NOT proactive (they should be going  right after SBU, NU, Hofstra, Drexel, Monmouth, and Towson) then I would want some of the AE schools to align with that set of schools.

At the end of the day, if that does not happen, I would be very good staying in the AE...but I do think for the AE's purposes, expansion time is now. 

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1