UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: Delaware to Conference USA

Didn't want to muddy up your Richmond game thread....

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38991597/delaware-set-join-c-usa-part-fbs-move-sources-say

57 minutes ago, ctdanes said:

Delaware leaving the CAA. Would have to think the other CAA football only schools are weighing options. Some combination of UA, UNH, Bryant, URI, Maine, Villanova and maybe a couple others make sense. Whatever gets them off of god forsaken FloSports

edit: spitballing but maybe Monmouth and Stony Brook wind up in the America East. I’m sure they’re not happy either 

Edited by mainejeff

Regarding ctdanes thoughts......does Albany join the CAA for all sports now?  Or do they band together with other AE football programs to push for a new regional football set-up that benefits them more financially and competitively?  Also maybe an opportunity for AE to expand membership for all sports (Northeastern, Stony Brook, Drexel, Monmouth, Towson).

Something’s gotta give. Of all the football only schools Albany is kind of the odd man out, with Bryant. CAA seems intent on adding schools from the south. Not sure if the AE would/could sponsor football but that makes the most sense imho 

• Like 1

Right. I remember the whole purpose of joining CAA and getting the new stadium was to join the highest football available at fcs with possibilities of even more. Now they’re kinda just lumped in with a bunch of other schools in the Carolina’s in a conference losing it’s identity. Odd spot to be in 

4 hours ago, B9j2j6s said:

Man that is a big domino to fall.  Get the popcorn ready have to imagine W&M will be next.  Please Benson stay away from this dumpster fire.

Agree 100%. Do Not join CAA UA. Makes absolutely no sense! TOO MANY teams only 1 ncaa bid (except football).  Not surprised at all if more rats don’t jump ship. 

4 hours ago, mainejeff said:

Regarding ctdanes thoughts......does Albany join the CAA for all sports now?  Or do they band together with other AE football programs to push for a new regional football set-up that benefits them more financially and competitively?  Also maybe an opportunity for AE to expand membership for all sports (Northeastern, Stony Brook, Drexel, Monmouth, Towson).

As I said on AE board, shine of CAA is off for me. Time for AE to step up and secure their own future with CAA continuing to take body blows. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mainejeff said:

I honestly feel like this is a gut punch for administrators at Albany, UNH and W&M.....they all aspire to be Delaware 2.0.

I don't understand this point at all...you continue to make it but it makes no sense. What is there to aspire to? Albany is just trying to get to the highest level it can that makes sense for their program. You have to be delusional to think that Albany's goal is to be Delaware. 

• Like 1

If the Northeast/New England teams would accept what it is, you can actually make a really good new conference...

UAlbany

Stony Brook

New Hampshire

Maine

Bryant

Monmouth

Rhode Island

See if you can get Villanova on board. Then go raid the Northeast Conference. I would take LIU, Central Connecticut State and Sacred Heart. You have a very solid conference if you ask me. But what do I know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I don't understand this point at all...you continue to make it but it makes no sense. What is there to aspire to? Albany is just trying to get to the highest level it can that makes sense for their program. You have to be delusional to think that Albany's goal is to be Delaware. 

Not so much to be Delaware.....but to be their little bro and keep them within arms reach.

3 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

If the Northeast/New England teams would accept what it is, you can actually make a really good new conference...

UAlbany

Stony Brook

New Hampshire

Maine

Bryant

Monmouth

Rhode Island

See if you can get Villanova on board. Then go raid the Northeast Conference. I would take LIU, Central Connecticut State and Sacred Heart. You have a very solid conference if you ask me. But what do I know.

The collegiate athletic scene in the Northeast has totally screwed the pooch on developing regional rivalries and allowing their fans reasonable travel to away games.  This isn't Ohio State vs. Michigan we are talking about.....this is small time college football....and it has been managed horribly.

Edited by mainejeff

28 minutes ago, mainejeff said:

Not so much to be Delaware.....but to be their little bro and keep them within arms reach.

Are you confusing Delaware with JMU? Anyone who aspires to be UD aspires to be mediocre. I mean, I guess that's an improvement compared to UA, but since 2010 (last time UD went to the championship) they have made the playoffs 4 times (and that happened in the last 6 years). From 2010-2017 they were .500 more or less every year - definition of mediocrity.

I can see other CAA teams aspiring to be JMU but UD? That's a lateral move.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Delaware_Fightin'_Blue_Hens_football_seasons