UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: Delaware to Conference USA

OK....waving thew white flag on this one.  I'll walk it back to this.....there are many people disappointed that Delaware will no longer be a part of their conference experience.

If America East is aggressive and can bring in at least a group of 3....some combo of Northeastern, Hofstra, Drexel, Monmouth and Towson...then I don't think Albany is going anywhere.  If AE does nothing....then I think there is a good shot that Albany will leave for the CAA.

• Like 1

Good riddance to Delaware.  If Delaware cant win the CAA, how can it win in FBS?  They are more like UConn and UMass than JMU.  JMU is the only  recent success story in the move up.  UConn and UMass both regret the move to FBS, i suspect both are thinking about moving back to the CAA.  The CAA has one of the strongest brands in FCS football. We did get 4 teams in the playoffs.

Edited by Stonewall D

I read/hear how all these schools are looking to move up, including Stony Brook.  

I guess my question is, why aren't we? I would imagine we would have a lot to offer with our size, decent market, and overall athletic success over the last 2 decades. 

Our football stadium can be expanded. We just got a new basketball arena that is the best in the AE. 

Why are we not looking to make a big move ? The answer may be "Because we don't want to".

It would seem to me that we should at least be exploring it.  

The reason not to move is that after the departures the CAA is worse than the AE. Delaware is leaving, JMU is gone, Bill and Mary will be next to move.  Ask Northeastern how has there CAA experience been?  They would probably say it sucks.  Hofstra might move to the MAAC, Northeastern and W&M to the Patriot.  A&T and Hampton might go back to the MEAC. Please Benson keep us away from this dumpster fire.  This could turn into the PAC2 of the east.  Do you want to be in a league with Campbell or UVM?   

Edited by B9j2j6s
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mainejeff said:

OK....waving thew white flag on this one.  I'll walk it back to this.....there are many people disappointed that Delaware will no longer be a part of their conference experience.

If America East is aggressive and can bring in at least a group of 3....some combo of Northeastern, Hofstra, Drexel, Monmouth and Towson...then I don't think Albany is going anywhere.  If AE does nothing....then I think there is a good shot that Albany will leave for the CAA.

I hope AE is aggressive, problem is, AE is never aggressive. 

I have spoken to my Delaware connection, while not a Delaware, his neighbors are, and the discussion about leaving the CAA has been an on-going for over one year.  The primary reasons are:

• The departure of Old Dominion and JMU
  • Allowing NEC and MEAC teams into the conference, which has diminished the quality of the in-conference competition
  • Upgrades already made to the basketball arena and the football stadium deserve a better quality teams.  Delaware has a long term plan to spend fifty million dollars into their sports facilities
  • Improve TV revenues and visability from a higher level conference other the CAA
  • The older, deeper money pocketed supporters of Delaware sports want a change of conference and are willing to cover the cost to move to the next level

Downside: Certain sports may have to seek affiliated association with other conferences, these sports include MLAX, WLAX, Field Hockey.

I'm copying and pasting what I just posted on the AE forum.  Thoughts?

I've been too AE centric in my thinking.....assuming Delaware to C-USA and Charleston to A-10......what if the CAA offers Albany, UNH and Maine all-sports membership....as well as High Point? That creates an all-sports CAA that looks like this:

*Maine
*UNH
Northeastern
*Albany
*Stony Brook
Hofstra
*Monmouth
Drexel

*Towson
*W&M
*Hampton
*Elon
*NC A&T
High Point
*Campbell
UNCW

* Sponsor football

This isn't the worst looking conference in the world.

Geographically it becomes an evenly disbursed conference which should control travel costs. For instance Maine trades trips to Vermont, UMass-Lowell, Bryant, Binghamton, NJIT and UMBC for trips to Northeastern, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Monmouth & Drexel. Not sure if 22 league games could be scheduled for hoops but considering how difficult it is to get home games for most mid-majors....maybe 11 guaranteed home games (7 H&H vs. division and 4H & 4A vs. other division) would be an attractive scenario. Of course other scheduling scenarios could also be formulated.

Football wise it would bring 11 FCS programs together under one umbrella....something the CAA has been pining for....but more importantly gets 10 football members all on the same page in preparation for other changes that will take place down the road.

Just spitballing but I don't think that this is totally out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by mainejeff
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mainejeff said:

I'm copying and pasting what I just posted on the AE forum.  Thoughts?

I've been too AE centric in my thinking.....assuming Delaware to C-USA and Charleston to A-10......what if the CAA offers Albany, UNH and Maine all-sports membership....as well as High Point? That creates an all-sports CAA that looks like this:

*Maine
*UNH
Northeastern
*Albany
*Stony Brook
Hofstra
*Monmouth
Drexel

*Towson
*W&M
*Hampton
*Elon
*NC A&T
High Point
*Campbell
UNCW

* Sponsor football

This isn't the worst looking conference in the world.

Geographically it becomes an evenly disbursed conference which should control travel costs. For instance Maine trades trips to Vermont, UMass-Lowell, Bryant, Binghamton, NJIT and UMBC for trips to Northeastern, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Monmouth & Drexel. Not sure if 22 league games could be scheduled for hoops but considering how difficult it is to get home games for most mid-majors....maybe 11 guaranteed home games (7 H&H vs. division and 4H & 4A vs. other division) would be an attractive scenario. Of course other scheduling scenarios could also be formulated.

Football wise it would bring 11 FCS programs together under one umbrella....something the CAA has been pining for....but more importantly gets 10 football members all on the same page in preparation for other changes that will take place down the road.

Just spitballing but I don't think that this is totally out of the realm of possibility.

This is an interesting take...if I'm AE, I get aggressive before someone (CAA) does this and bends you over. 

13 hours ago, mainejeff said:

This would be great to build up the AE

13 hours ago, Stonewall D said:

Good riddance to Delaware.  If Delaware cant win the CAA, how can it win in FBS?  They are more like UConn and UMass than JMU.  JMU is the only  recent success story in the move up.  UConn and UMass both regret the move to FBS, i suspect both are thinking about moving back to the CAA.  The CAA has one of the strongest brands in FCS football. We did get 4 teams in the playoffs.

There should be a Northeast FBS conference if pride were checked and common sense prevailed.

Existing/Transitioning FBS

UConn

Buffalo

Army

Delaware

+ Any other CAA members willing to make the investment (Rhode Island, Maine, Albany SBU).

A fairly level playing field and short regional travel