UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB Game 27/Conference 12 vs. Vermont Catamounts, Broadview Center, Albany, NY, Thursday, February 22, 2024. 7:00 PM

UAlbany has lost the last 6 matchups with the UVM Catamounts, will this UAlbany MBB team end the streak?  The UAlbany MBB team needs the win to make the playoffs

That being said, there will be a respectful number of the Vermont fans in the Broadview Center, asking the question: What is wrong with the State of Vermont, the UVM community needs to have a facility like UAlbany' Broadview Center?  

By the way, after las week's turnout, I expect more Vermont fans in the Broadview Center.

Feb 22 (Thu) 7:00 PM
AE
vs 
Albany, N.Y. Broadview Center
ESPN_.PNG
Edited by cwdickens
correction

6 hours ago, S-money said:

Rise ‘n shine, it’s butt-whippin’ time

Great quote! One of my favorite movies as a kid !!!! 

Just don't get blown out.  We are going to have Killings for the next 2 years.  Don't want to see the team completely fall apart and not be able to keep at least some of the core guys.  

• cwdickens changed the title to MBB Game 27/Conference 12 vs. Vermont Catamounts, Broadview Center, Albany, NY, Thursday, February 22, 2024. 7:00 PM

I chuckled heartly when I read the article title caption because the season will be over by the time Killings, the team and the mind set are in sync. 

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes gradually changing mindset

By Pete Dougherty

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F22&id=Pc0170500&ext=.jpg&ts=20240222073053
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

UAlbany’s Ny’Mire Little, shown against UMBC on Feb. 3, said of the team’s current mindset, “Whatever we’ve got, we’ve got to figure it out.”

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F22&id=Pc0200600&ext=.jpg&ts=20240222073053
Jim Franco / Times Union archive

UAlbany’s Tyler Bertram shoots over a UMBC defender on Feb. 3. Bertram is shooting 48 percent from 3-point range at home and 23 percent on the road.

ALBANY — Three weeks have passed since Jonathan Beagle left the University at Albany basketball program, no public explanation given and no indication that he will return.

As the games have passed, the 6-foot-10, 240-pound shadow that Beagle’s absence has cast over the Great Danes seems to be fading. They have moved on and seem to be adjusting to life without the reigning America East Rookie of the Year, who left “for personal reasons.”

UAlbany returns to the court Thursday night to face Vermont, the last America East opponent to face Beagle, who played the first eight minutes and eight seconds of the Danes’ 81-59 loss Feb. 1 at Burlington and has not been seen on the court since.

“We’re playing better as a team now with the absence of Jonathan,” point guard Sebastian Thomas said Wednesday. “We’re coming together more, (playing) more team defense. We’re sharing the ball a little bit better, playing a little bit harder.”

It hasn’t been an easy transition without Beagle, whose 9.5 rebounds per game continues to lead the conference and 12.5 points ranks 15th. He has missed the past four games.

The Danes got their only victory post-Beagle last Thursday, a wire-to-wire 25-point home victory over NJIT, and played well in spurts Saturday in an 80-75 loss at UMBC.

“Like I tell the guys in the locker room, we’ve got to adjust, we’ve got to adapt,” said Ny’Mire Little, a redshirt sophomore guard who serves as a tricaptain. “It’s all about moving on, whether we got players, we don’t got players, whatever we’ve got, we’ve got to figure it out.

“It’s getting closer to the end of the season, so our mindset is just get into playoffs and trying to get as many games as we can. I told the guys just stay together, don’t let no distractions distract us, and ever since we’re getting closer and closer and better and better in games.”

UAlbany (12-14, 3-6 America East) is camped in fifth place, two games behind fourth-place New Hampshire and a half-game in front of Binghamton and UMBC, tied for sixth. Four of the Danes’ five remaining regular-season games are against teams currently in the top four of the standings.

In addition to Beagle, the Danes have played the past five games without starting junior forward Marcus Jackson, who has a hand injury. Coach Dwayne Killings indicated for the first time Wednesday that Jackson may not be able to return this season.

“The first games, as our personnel changed, our guys were a little frustrated,” Killings said. “We were all trying to figure out, OK, what’s next? We caught our breath, and I think we found a refreshing way to play for our guys. We’ve had good practices where they’ve been really competitive, really focused.

“Offensively, we’re more guard-oriented. The ball moves better. I don’t think that we’ve forced certain things to happen. We’ve been at times, though, a little careless with the basketball. We have this urgency to make plays vs. OK, let’s read the defense and get the best opportunity we can out of it, but I’ve been pretty happy.”

In Saturday’s loss UAlbany got big games from Thomas (30 points) and junior forward Aaron Reddish (21 points, 10 rebounds), but Killings is seeking more scoring from others. Amar’e Marshall and Tyler Bertram were held to five points apiece.

Bertram is shooting 48 percent from 3-point range at home and 23 percent on the road.

“It just wasn’t the night that we wanted out of Tyler and Amar’e,” Killings said. “We need those guys to be consistent. Tyler shot the ball unbelievably here, so that’s pretty promising for tomorrow night, but we need him to shoot the ball consistently, no matter where we play.”

VERMONT AT UALBANY

When: 7 p.m. Thursday

Where: Broadview Center, Albany

TV/Radio: ESPN+ (streaming), WTMM 104.5 FM

Good grief, this team can not any consistent play from several guys at once.  Bertram with 27 on 9 for 10 from field and Marshall and Thomas with nothing to really add.  And don't get me started on Reddish, 1 for 7 for 2 pts.

Edit:  Marshall ended up with 19.  Team defense still a mess, 94 pts tonight.

Edited by nysteve661
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Played fine for a bad team.  Killings unfortunately is a terrible coach.  

More often than not, the last 8 minutes or so, the wheels fall off.  Whether fatigue sets in, foul trouble, players making the wrong shot at the wrong time, the MBB team cannot finish a game, nor does our coach possesses the skill set.  UAlbany MBB is now 2-8 in the last 10 conference games.

My last thought, as our players return to their student housing, they are not thinking, we are our going to get tonight's opponent next year.  Our players are likely thinking right now, how do I salvage my basketball career and where am I going to play next year?

I imagine very few players and assistant coaches will return. 

Edited by cwdickens

5 minutes ago, UAlbany09 said:

Are there any rich donors out there that can pay to have Killings fired? This has been a dumpster fire since day one.

I imagine Mark Benson, Vic Cegles, President Rodriquez and sports development have discussed this avenue; however, how far they have gone with this, only a select group knows.  If MBB team does not make the playoff, top it off with 4 more losses, your suggestion will likely move forward.  The clock is clicking. 

When I left the Knick on 11/26, I vowed (to myself) not to complain about DK this season.  My discipline is being tested.  So, on other important topics:

What kind of promotion is a free chicken sandwich when the opponent misses a foul shot in the second half?  Is this the kind of sportsmanship the conference with the transformative logo seeks to promote?

And, don't most colleges & professional teams give out black tee shirts when they call for a "blackout"?

16 minutes ago, statefan said:

When I left the Knick on 11/26, I vowed (to myself) not to complain about DK this season.  My discipline is being tested.  So, on other important topics:

What kind of promotion is a free chicken sandwich when the opponent misses a foul shot in the second half?  Is this the kind of sportsmanship the conference with the transformative logo seeks to promote?

And, don't most colleges & professional teams give out black tee shirts when they call for a "blackout"?

I do not know, however; throwing out tee skirts out in the Broadview Center rarely if ever happens.