UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB - Game 29 / Conference Game 14: Home vs New Hampshire - Thursday, February 29, 2024, 7:00 PM

Not that often that the team gets to play on a February 29th, so that is kinda fun to have a game on a leap day!

Team has pretty much locked up the 7 or 8 seed in the conference tournament, but could finish as high as 4, or end up out of the playoffs depending on how things play out. If UA loses the last 3 conference games (which is definitely possible) and NJIT wins both of their final 2 games, then UA misses the conference tournament for the second straight year. We have the tie breaker with NJIT having beaten them twice, so any combo of a UA win or a NJIT loss means the season goes into the playoffs.  NJIT plays UMBC and Bryant for it's final 2 games. UA gets NH, Maine, and Bryant. I won't go into the specifics of how UA gets the higher seeds, because I am pretty much assuming the team ends at 7 or 8. 

BLAH, the ending of another disappointing season.  I can't believe it, but I am actually considering cancelling my season tickets for next season if something doesn't magically happen. Just not sure I can take the heartache anymore. 

Edited by godanesgo99

4 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Not that often that the team gets to play on a February 29th, so that is kinda fun to have a game on a leap day!

Team has pretty much locked up the 7 or 8 seed in the conference tournament, but could finish as high as 4, or end up out of the playoffs depending on how things play out. If UA loses the last 3 conference games (which is definitely possible) and NJIT wins both of their final 2 games, then UA misses the conference tournament for the second straight year. We have the tie breaker with NJIT having beaten them twice, so any combo of a UA win or a NJIT loss means the season goes into the playoffs.  NJIT plays UMBC and Bryant for it's final 2 games. UA gets NH, Maine, and Bryant. I won't go into the specifics of how UA gets the higher seeds, because I am pretty much assuming the team ends at 7 or 8. 

BLAH, the ending of another disappointing season.  I can't believe it, but I am actually considering cancelling my season tickets for next season if something doesn't magically happen. Just not sure I can take the heartache anymore. 

I believe many others are considering not renewing their season tickets for 2024-2025, including myself.  Based on attendance for the Vermont game, many have already given up.

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I believe many others are considering not renewing their season tickets for 2024-2025, including myself.  Based on attendance for the Vermont game, many have already given up.

I say that now, but I'm 99.44% sure I'll be back regardless, it's just a frustrating spot this program is in right now. Some great players, some great personalities, and the team has never seemed to lack intensity or effort. I want to root for them soooooo badly. As Dane96 has pointed out, the team just isn't constructed well, they are unable to overcome losing Beagle and Jackson, and the coaching staff has been unable to get them to play cohesive defense or to get them out of hero mode. I mean, Marshall is extremely talented and I love watching him, but how many times can he run into a wall and lose the ball in the paint after being shut down - at the most inopportune moments of the game? How many times can the ball be thrown away because someone didn't cut like they were supposed to? The only identity this team seems to have is run and gun and hopefully score more than the other team. It's never run and gun, then stop the other team. I digress....

Only 4 more games left. 3 conference games then a 1st round playoff exit, then the rebuild begins. AGAIN.

If anyone from the staff or the team reads this (and I hope you don't): please prove me wrong. Win a few more games and extend the season. I just don't see it happening.

Edit: that wasn't a rip at Marshall. Didn't mean to call him out, it's a comment on the style of play, not any individual. I could have used anyone. It just seems like Marshall has just been in that position at the wrong times lately.

Edited by godanesgo99

Count us among the group of fans who are considering dropping mens tickets for next year. In our case, strongly considering. We really only renewed this year because of our new and improved arena. It is great and we love sitting in it! But we no longer want to support DK, his inept coaching, and the off-the-court dramas. He is in over his head and fans are paying the price. We will wait to see what happens at season’s end. It’s probable that he’ll return, but unlikely that we will, until a coaching change is made. We will, as always, continue to support the women’s program. 

Thursday will be my last men's basketball game of the season. I haven't decided which other Danes game or games with former Great Danes to see this weekend. 

If will be tough for me not to renew for next season. With st rose ending, the only other basketball options in town will be division 3. 

I was a season ticket holder for 10+ years and dropped 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't looked back. I don't see anything worth spending money on. I have better places to spend $200.

Edited by Eli

Jeez how many people ended up canceling football season tickets over the years up until this season. 

Has DK been cleared of everything from the lawsuit? If so it’s done and over with. Don’t know what other dramas he’s brought. I do know at one point in the season people here thought Albany basketball was heading in the right direction. To say that Beagle quitting would have no effect on the results we are seeing now I have to disagree with.

There have been no announcements to my knowledge on the resolution of the lawsuit and/or the stage that the lawsuit is at.

If so, the local media would have picked up on it and/or a positive outcome for the university, the university would have resulted in a brief news release.

In regard to heading in the right direction, yes, many people that I talked to, including myself felt the team was headed in the right direction in the out of conference schedule.  The team chemistry started to breakdown with UMass-Lowell and continued to dissolve over the conference schedule. What I witness from my view from in the stands across the UAlbany bench is something I will not forget.  When Marcus Jackson could not settle Beagle down, I strongly felt Beagle was headed to the door before the end of the season.

For three seasons, I have watched Dwayne Killings demonstrate he is not a DI basketball coach.

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

Jeez how many people ended up canceling football season tickets over the years up until this season. 

Has DK been cleared of everything from the lawsuit? If so it’s done and over with. Don’t know what other dramas he’s brought. I do know at one point in the season people here thought Albany basketball was heading in the right direction. To say that Beagle quitting would have no effect on the results we are seeing now I have to disagree with.

Beagle quitting definitely has had a huge effect on the team, I don't think anyone really doubts that. The question is why did he quit? I'm not a fan of coddling players and if it was because the coach yelled at him or treated him poorly, I'd tell him you have to suck it up and grow with it as a player, but it feels like more than that the way it was announced and subsequent silence. The fiz thing just adds another wrinkle when looked at together.

Either way, I clarified my comments and said I'd be back no matter what, but there is a real frustration among the fans that we landed in last place last year, and will end this year near the bottom again, and there is still a chance the team finishes in the actual bottom again. The issues we have seen go beyond player talent. We have talented athletic guys that put up almost 80 a game. It's a failure to mold the game plan around the players we have and the inability to get them to do what is needed. I'd rather DK work out and figure this whole thing out (I was vocal about supporting him through the lawsuit) but the issues and problems just keep adding up. At some point there is no return.

19 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

There have been no announcements to my knowledge on the resolution of the lawsuit and/or the stage that the lawsuit is at.

If so, the local media would have picked up on it and/or a positive outcome for the university, the university would have resulted in a brief news release.

In regard to heading in the right direction, yes, many people that I talked to, including myself felt the team was headed in the right direction in the out of conference schedule.  The team chemistry started to breakdown with UMass-Lowell and continued to dissolve over the conference schedule. What I witness from my view from in the stands across the UAlbany bench is something I will not forget.  When Marcus Jackson could not settle Beagle down, I strongly felt Beagle was headed to the door before the end of the season.

For three seasons, I have watched Dwayne Killings demonstrate he is not a DI basketball coach.

I agree he has not shown himself as a head coach. I also don’t think it makes any sense to fire him either just yet. He’s got the two years left? Let it play out and maybe something clicks if not see ya. People so staunch about canceling their season tix here feels like it’s more of a axe to grind because they just don’t like DK. 

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

I agree he has not shown himself as a head coach. I also don’t think it makes any sense to fire him either just yet. He’s got the two years left? Let it play out and maybe something clicks if not see ya. People so staunch about canceling their season tix here feels like it’s more of a axe to grind because they just don’t like DK. 

Money is the only way we have to speak so why are you shocked people are so staunch in their stances about season tickets? Sure, my $500 total individually might not mean much to Benson; but if 500 of us don't spend $500? That's a different conversation.

I personally do not know DK or Gattuso; I judge them solely off their ability on their respective fields of play. In Gattuso's case, he got some redemption this year but I still don't think he will be able to sustain it based on 9 other years of history; if we are at or below .500 next year, it's an abject failure. His 'coaching sins' won't be wiped clean until he is perennially fielding playoff teams. EDIT: Or leaving Ambrose or whoever with such a program since it sounds like he's close to retirement.

But DK? He has only proven that he should be an assistant so far. He's not cut out to be a HC. As of right now, he is 33-57 (36.7%). You want us to wait 2 more years? He is trending to be ~11-19 the next two years for a total 5yr record of 55-95 (36.6%).

(FWIW, Browns last 3 years were 37.5%, 43.8% and 43.8% respectively as far as winning - Brown did NEVER not qualify for the tournament like we did last year - numbers that DK should dream of. BTW, I also do not know Brown personally.)

Edited by Eli

2 hours ago, UA'08 said:

My comment had nothing to do with an axe to grind. I have been a vocal supporter, with someone even accusing me of being a shill for the program. I want DK successful. Nothing would make me happier to see him lead the team to a few tournament appearances then debate wether he should take a higher level job. That would be amazing. That said, after 3 years, confidence of that happening is lowering by the day. Something has to give. 

tPlease check the America East stats.  UAlbany leads the league in attendance in both women's and men's attendance.

If you will only buy season tickets if we are winners than you really aren't a fan and not buying a season ticket will eliminate one more negative fan.  I have been a MBB & WBB season ticket holder for 25 yrs. & football for 20 yrs and as long as I can drive 100 miles per day for games I will be there win or lose.

A leap year special on tickets for tomorrow night's MBB game

Men's Basketball vs. UNH - Tomorrow at 7 PM
Broadview Center

Men's Basketball returns to the Broadview Center tomorrow at 7 PM. The Great Danes make their push for the post-season in the first of two home games this week. UAlbany will wrap up the regular season with home games against UNH (Thursday) and Maine (Saturday).

Come celebrate the Leap Year with this Buy 3 get 1 special! Purchase tickets through the link below, and enter promo code 
LEAP to access offer!

Click Here for Tickets
Enter Promo code LEAP to access the offer.