UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Title IX violations

UAalum72

So I don't know if I am reading this correct...does this mean they either need to cut a male sport or they need to add a female sport? I think the bigger issue w Women's Tennis was that all the AE schools were killing it and they had no place to go. UAlbany held on almost longer than anyone.

I read the article and was surprised the school doesn't have someone who is responsible to make sure Title IX is being followed. Most institutions (banks, hospitals, most organizations.. etc) have compliance officers or lawyers or someone on staff who's job it is is to make sure they are following all required rules, regs and laws. And it's not like Title IX is an unknown thing, just kinda surprised they don't have a staffer on that. Ball was dropped on that one. (I work in administration so that's why it's surprising to me). Least it looks like things are resolving themselves from the article.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

I believe the school MUST have a compliance(s) officer(s).If that is the case this falls squarely on the shoulders of the Athletic Administration.

No cuts or additions of teams means downsizing of current men's teams and increasing women's participants. Could affect most sports Men's and Women's Track and XC as well as FB and Lax (walk ons especially). Any sport with a large roster could be affected.

The problem with Title IX, is it was never really meant to apply to athletics. It was designed as an academic equality guarantee. Somehow lawyers, the aclu or some other freedom group got it extended to athletics on the "questionable grounds" that college athletics is an integral part of a college education. The problem is the same groups, when it fits their need will claim athletics is NOT an integral part of college experience [especially when it adds to the cost of college {fees etc.}]

This leads to the second and probably real problem with Title IX, it does not reflect the issue of revenue and which sports generate revenue and how much of such revenue should/could be used to support the non-revenue generating sports {i.e. most college sports.} So in MY OPINION, the real culprit here is the ncaa who gladly pockets huge sums of money from men's football & basketball while insisting that is NOT what college sports is all about. Now the power conferences if you will, avoid the issue because they make more than enough money to support any number of non revenue generating sports be it men's or women. They do not want to rock the boat or crack the golden egg. The problem of course than rest with the mid majors, DII & DIII schools to figure out a way to spread what little revenue they may be able to generate from sports, to run more sports than they would actually want to have. It is the same issue as unfunded government mandates (which in NY we have many).

So before everyone starts throwing darts @ me for being chauvinistic and anti womens' equality; let me reiterate that Title IX is really an issue about money and if college sports really are a necessary part of the college experience or not. Since, I feel college sports are most definitely integral to the college experience; of course equal opportunities for all woman and men should be made available. But some adjustments per cost vs revenue's would also be justified.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 3

First of all, where is the compliance officer? Who is this individual, fire them before lunch...today! Apparently this person has been completely asleep at the wheel. If they did raise a concern, who in upper management squashed it?

This is not a good look, and I say this as a guy who never goes to any womans events and don't really care about women's sports or any non-revenue sport with the exception of maybe men's lacrosse.

This should have never happened...this will be made a big deal of. Personally other than giving the program a bit of a black eye, this doesn't move the needle for me. You gambe knowingly or unknowingly now pay the price. Reduce football walk ons, scrap track...do what you gotta do.

Edited by Clickclack

The truth slowly leaks out...from the UA athletics page... http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=210686919

Melisa Peach is the Director of Compliance. This much is known...

"Peach came to UAlbany from Siena College"

#saboteur

giphy.gif

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

The truth slowly leaks out...from the UA athletics page... http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=210686919

Melisa Peach is the Director of Compliance. This much is known...

"Peach came to UAlbany from Siena College"

#saboteur

giphy.gif

HAHAHAHAH. I LOL'ed at both the GIF and the 'came from LCC' bit.

terX20j.gif

But seriously...like I said a few months ago on here somewhere about some other school (forget exactly)...how do issues like this happen? You probably have an ENTIRE DEPARTMENT tasked with compliance...so my guess is it was ALLOWED to happen, not just a simple overlook. Someone definitely squashed it. Also don't care for most of the UA sports (baseball, track, etc.) aside from FB and MBB but...COME ON, MAANNNNN. We're trying to build something here and this kind of PR will just take us back.

Edited by Eli

From the story...How can this be done? I'm assuming there are roster size limits on all D1 sports, no? We are talking about 97 roster spots here.

"The Athletic Department will reallocate existing funds into areas that will strengthen their Title IX position, as well as areas that will benefit all student-athletes from a student welfare perspective," said the statement announcing the program's termination. "UAlbany will increase the number of female student-athlete participants amongst the existing women's sports programs."