UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

You mean to fully fund, as in the form of an endowment, a scholarship, correct?

There aren't many schools that fully endow scholarships. W&M's football programs is fully endowed, I believe. It would be nice to endow a couple of sports.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you guys move to the CAA......a few things to consider:

Current line-ups:

AE:

Maine

UNH

UMass-Lowell

Vermont

Hartford

Stony Brook

Binghamton

UMBC

CAA:

Northeastern

Hofstra

Drexel

Delaware

Towson

W&M

UNCW

C of C

Elon

* Both leagues are 1 bid leagues in hoops

* When was the last time that the CAA was in the CWS, FH Final 4, or College Cup?

* Both leagues have similar academics

* The CAA has greater travel expenses

* Albany is already a member of CAA Football

I still don't get the obsession with becoming a full member of the CAA.......????

You mean to fully fund, as in the form of an endowment, a scholarship, correct?

There aren't many schools that fully endow scholarships. W&M's football programs is fully endowed, I believe. It would be nice to endow a couple of sports.

Yes. That's the amount needed to endow the full scholarship. It's the goal, to strive for. I guess if we had a plethora of donors forking over $40,000 a year, that would also work.

Current line-ups:

AE:

Maine

UNH

UMass-Lowell

Vermont

Hartford

Stony Brook

Binghamton

UMBC

CAA:

Northeastern

Hofstra

Drexel

Delaware

Towson

W&M

UNCW

C of C

Elon

* When was the last time that the CAA was in the CWS, FH Final 4, or College Cup?

I still don't get the obsession with becoming a full member of the CAA.......????

I am in agreement. To make the move for basketball reason alone is silly. As jeff stated, we already are in the conference for football. That alone is the big money maker. We compete in one of the top lacrosse conferences in the country and in the non-profit sports, we have just been as equal, heck better, than CAA programs. Even more important AE teams are competing nationally in those sports.

2 percent of donations, for the last fiscal year were for athletics. We need to raise an awful lot of money to fund athletics. It takes about $500,000 to fully fund a scholarship assuming about 4% payout, With a couple hundred scholarship athletes, that's 100 million, although some may qualify for other scholarships already funded, We still need some capital improvements to our facilities. So the 500 - 600 donations yesterday, of which a majority were probably under $100, isn't going to get it done.

Benson and University Development have their work cut out for themselves. I have to say that development has made tremendous strides for the last several years and I couldn't be happier with the recent hires for President and AD. We're certainly headed in the right direction, but I don't see how we can afford to make any major moves in conerence affiliations.

Tough situation. I would assume they've had some plan since making the commitment to full scholly football.

The difference is travel costs in the CAA. How much of an increase would we see in expenses due to travel?

So it appears official now. UAB has dropped football. CUSA requires all members to sponsor football so it's expected they will force UAB out.

I suspect we'll see James Madison leave the CAA for CUSA.

That leaves open a potential all-sports membership in the CAA again.

And what's your opinion now, of a move to the CAA in all sports?

So it appears official now. UAB has dropped football. CUSA requires all members to sponsor football so it's expected they will force UAB out.

I suspect we'll see James Madison leave the CAA for CUSA.

That leaves open a potential all-sports membership in the CAA again.

And what's your opinion now, of a move to the CAA in all sports?

I'm not sure anymore.

What I don't want to happen is getting left even further behind Stony Brook and Buffalo. I want to see our Admins set out a plan to get to the same level of facilities and funding as Stony Brook and then I'd like to see us work with Stony Brook to get us both to the same level as Buffalo. Which may or may not involve FBS football.

Current line-ups:

AE:

Maine

UNH

UMass-Lowell

Vermont

Hartford

Stony Brook

Binghamton

UMBC

CAA:

Northeastern

Hofstra

Drexel

Delaware

Towson

W&M

UNCW

C of C

Elon

I am in agreement. To make the move for basketball reason alone is silly. As jeff stated, we already are in the conference for football. That alone is the big money maker. We compete in one of the top lacrosse conferences in the country and in the non-profit sports, we have just been as equal, heck better, than CAA programs. Even more important AE teams are competing nationally in those sports.
Please don't talk about Football in the CAA or anywhere else making positove $ besides the top 1/2 of the big time conferences. Football should not be looked at as a $ generator. If it is required to make $ it will be canceled. The benefits of a quality program are many but $ is not one of them. Edited by jalidanefan