UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2015 America East Tournament

That's what I wrote above (and what others have mentioned)...but if I had to venture a guess, the majority of the UA fans are local, so thus they should (if possible) cater to the majority (me). No offense to the out of towners. Don't you think that makes more sense (fiscally and otherwise) than trying to appease a smaller minority of fans by playing the games somewhere else? UA typically gets 2,800-3,200 or so fans a game, right? Do you think there are the same number of fans that will specifically root for UA somewhere else in this country? I highly doubt it. You have to get the home court advantage when you can.

This is the best way for each team, not just UA, to increase it's exposure at its campus by getting people into THEIR seats. Again, the pro's out weigh the cons by a mile in my opinion.

Not an opinion agree with.

The last few years got spoiled watching 14 tournament games.

Now I don't know if when I am heading to Binghamton or if I have to drive there back to back days or if I will only get to see 1 of our teams play sunday if both are playing ;(

Edited by bob87

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we can certainly agree to disagree. To me, from a money and building-fan-interest stand point (which leads to more ticket sales)...you're better off getting as many home games as possible to increase local interest (the interest that matters most). Gaining fans that live 10 hours away is great...but they'll likely never spend the money to come see Albany at home other than maybe one game a year (such a BPG). Your biggest ROI will come from trying to influence the local market you play in.

As someone who has been to the tournament every year, I think the playoffs stink. I was thrilled when the conference did the right thing and combined the men and women at one site. I think it is completely wrong that a choice may have to made on Sunday between a game in Albany and a game in Bingo. At the very least don't play the mens and womens games on the same day.

Well, we can certainly agree to disagree. To me, from a money and building-fan-interest stand point (which leads to more ticket sales)...you're better off getting as many home games as possible to increase local interest (the interest that matters most). Gaining fans that live 10 hours away is great...but they'll likely never spend the money to come see Albany at home other than maybe one game a year (such a BPG). Your biggest ROI will come from trying to influence the local market you play in.

How much of a cut is the AE taking from each school that hosts a game. They don't have a guarantee from the tourney site anymore. The AE has to get that money some where. Yes the exposure is good for schools that get to host but half are left out and the money won't be as much as for a regular season game.

Semifinals should be on Saturday night. That's the one issue I have. Should not be on a Sunday. At least allow out of towners to have option to attend without having to travel back on the same day.

So then I should have to choose between the 2 games that day assuming the men win on wedneaday , only likely get to see 1 game instead of the 4 as in years past :(

Yeah but it is better for the league to cater to the fans looking for excuses not to go rather than the due hard fans like sarge.

I think not

Edited by bob87

Semifinals should be on Saturday night. That's the one issue I have. Should not be on a Sunday. At least allow out of towners to have option to attend without having to travel back on the same day.

Was this posted for me?!?! :) kidding but it is my biggest gripe about this. Saturday night would've been perfect. Now, it's going to be tough for me to make the semis.

I will agree with this. Sunday is terrible for me as well and I might have to miss it. If the game starts at any time other than 7pm, I won't be there.

How much of a cut is the AE taking from each school that hosts a game. They don't have a guarantee from the tourney site anymore. The AE has to get that money some where. Yes the exposure is good for schools that get to host but half are left out and the money won't be as much as for a regular season game.

I'm not sure...but I'm assuming UA is getting some cash money by having a home game vs a 'tourney game' at someone else's place. Plus the benefit of the casual fan (who otherwise wouldn't travel) being at a game as important as that (do or die) and getting them hooked.

As for the schools that get left out...again, it gives them incentive to either do better in the regular season or do better period (recruiting, etc.). Like I said, in years past, no one was reaalllyyy worried about the regular season because the tourney was a 'clean slate'. Similar to how no one really gives a crap about the OOC schedule as the conference schedule is more important. No anymore. If you don't show up for the first few months of the season, good luck winning on the road. I think, in the sense, winning is rewarded and losing is punished. As it should be.

Edited by Ilko

Seems to me that people fall into two categories...

- Those that watch ALL games - For these folks this is a terrible deal as the games are no longer at one sites allowing for game after game after game watching. Judging from the attendance of all sessions I have to believe this is a minority.

- Those fans that only go to watch the home team play and/or don't travel to away sites - This is an awesome deal, a chance to watch your team at home at least one more game if they earned it.

Personally I fall into category 2 so I like this deal....however, I understand category 1 as to why it sucks.

Seems to me that people fall into two categories...

- Those that watch ALL games - For these folks this is a terrible deal as the games are no longer at one sites allowing for game after game after game watching. Judging from the attendance of all sessions I have to believe this is a minority.

- Those fans that only go to watch the home team play and/or don't travel to away sites - This is an awesome deal, a chance to watch your team at home at least one more game if they earned it.

Personally I fall into category 2 so I like this deal....however, I understand category 1 as to why it sucks.

Pretty much hitting the nail on the head.