UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday Night

IIko

How is the albany -LCC situation remotely similar to Knicks-heat . Has one of those teams hosted every game for 15 straight years between those 2 teams .

And yes I decided years ago I would never buy a ticket for any LCC game until after they play at albany .

BTW , if I haven't forgotten to add a venue on my spreadsheet I have seen the Danes play various sports in 101 different venues most recently at south florida , holy cross and Marist for the first time

You're reading too much into what I said (maybe it was a lackluster example, but my general point still stands). Fact of the matter is why are people still (they've already agreed to play at SEFCU) still 'boycotting' the TU? Their fans don't have an issue buying much more expensive season tickets than our fans who don't want to give them $20 once every other year.

It's just silly...we need fans at games supporting the team. If I had a life like yours where I could afford to travel the whole country and go to every game, I would...but I have school and work so I go to every game here to support the team.

I thought I read that the 575 UA specific tickets were sold out.

Sold? Maybe. Attended, nope. Like I said, there were at least 25-30 seats scattered around the section I was in (which is the whole UA section no?) that were empty the whole game. And doesn't even include the upper bowl which I could not see.

So we get 500 Siena fans buying season tickets just to get to see their team next year. Is this really what UA wants? The spike in increased season tickets will be just a fluke and the following year that number goes back down. More importantly, what about the possibility of 500 empty seats for the BPG, UVM and Stony Brook. I hate being so cynical about this, but increasing your season tickets with your 'rival' buying them up doesn't seem very logical.

Interesting take, didn't think of it that way.

=========

I'm afraid there is no real 'win' for UAlbany here. Pulling these numbers just based on observation with my own eyes after going to this game for the last whatever number of years.

Play as away team at TU = 1500 UA fans (maybe - if including possible 'casual' UA fans scattered about) and the rest Siena due to boycotting, limited tickets given to UA, whatever have you

Play as home team at TU = 3500 UA fans and the rest Siena (assuming our usual SEFCU fans all go to the game)

Play at SEFCU = Will be a HUGE contingent of Siena fans and we'll lose a bit of homecourt advantage because they'll be just as loud in our little building

Play at a bigger SEFCU in 15 years (hypothetical) = even more Siena fans show up, although by then I hope we have more fans too.

Hate to say it, but their fan base is bigger than ours. No matter what we do, our fans will be either 50/50 split with theirs or close to it (games at SEFCU) or vastly outnumbered (games at TU whether we are home or away).

Even if my numbers are off, you just need to look around the TU at these Albany Cup games to see what I'm talking about. It's like 90% Siena and 10% Albany, every year. Year in, year out. I think it'll be more like 60% Albany, 40% Siena at SEFCU. Just a hunch.

I don't see UA outnumbering Siena fans at the TU in the next 10-15 years...neutral game or not. I love beating them and I hate losing to them. In the end, it's just an OOC game. If we end up winning a 4th title this year, I won't care any less about our loss on December 12th.

Edited by Ilko

So we get 500 Siena fans buying season tickets just to get to see their team next year. Is this really what UA wants? The spike in increased season tickets will be just a fluke and the following year that number goes back down. More importantly, what about the possibility of 500 empty seats for the BPG, UVM and Stony Brook. I hate being so cynical about this, but increasing your season tickets with your 'rival' buying them up doesn't seem very logical.

Your solution is what...keep playing away games?

Absolutely ridiculous that we are still even talking about whether this is a good thing or not, having a home game.

I think he said he rather drop LCC and replace them in a home game in a series that wouldn't draw as many people.

Also ridiculous .

I mean seriously if there is that much if a demand for seeing Vermont , stony brook and big purple growl and people really can't go because LCC fans bought the tickets up for 1 year (which I don't believe ) then those people shut out need to buy the season tickets the next year (when you claim 500 will be available ) and not give them up the next time LCC visits

IIko

Obviously I only give my opinion, but I know I am not the only one that refuses to go to the Knick..

LCC has not yet earned respect/trust how ever you want to say it. They have treated the (albany) fans poorly for so long with garbage seats and garbage stunts. Is it true the PA $ienahead told our band to stop playing. Frankly they don't deserve any of my money until they after thy actually play that game in our arena and even then only if they stop acting like $ienaheads.

Also I had no problem buying a $5 Saint Rose ticket this weekend, a $10 RPI ticket, a $55 St Johns ticket and a $29 Islander ticket but I did have a problem buying a LCC ticket at any price and thus did not.

I will continue to go to any Albany game I can with the exception of the at LCC game and it is always enjoyable to see various other fans at each venue, but I certainly don't question those that weren't at a particular game like you like to do about this particular road game

Absolutely ridiculous that we are still even talking about whether this is a good thing or not, having a home game.

It'd be to cancel the series. I don't know how you guys are ok with the potential of 1500 Siena fans making their way into SEFCU. It's just a terrible look. I'd rather play a A10/CAA school with 3k UA fans.

It'd be to cancel the series. I don't know how you guys are ok with the potential of 1500 Siena fans making their way into SEFCU. It's just a terrible look. I'd rather play a A10/CAA school with 3k UA fans.

So we shouldn't play any team that MIGHT bring fans into our arena. Should we cancel the Vermont game as well :)

IIko

Obviously I only give my opinion, but I know I am not the only one that refuses to go to the Knick..

LCC has not yet earned respect/trust how ever you want to say it. They have treated the (albany) fans poorly for so long with garbage seats and garbage stunts. Is it true the PA $ienahead told our band to stop playing. Frankly they don't deserve any of my money until they after thy actually play that game in our arena and even then only if they stop acting like $ienaheads.

Also I had no problem buying a $5 Saint Rose ticket this weekend, a $10 RPI ticket, a $55 St Johns ticket and a $29 Islander ticket but I did have a problem buying a LCC ticket at any price and thus did not.

I will continue to go to any Albany game I can with the exception of the at LCC game and it is always enjoyable to see various other fans at each venue, but I certainly don't question those that weren't at a particular game like you like to do about this particular road game

Yes, the PA guy was saying things like, "The UA band is still playing..." "Okay UA band, you can stop playing..." etc.

I dunno, regarding seating, etc. I guess I don't feel as disrespected as some people. We are the away team, what did people think would happen? Only thing I didn't like was the band comments by the PA, everything else was no different than what we do teams that come to SEFCU (less than stellar seats in the corner, etc.)

I guess I'm just not a stick in the mud like some people about playing at the TU in any capacity.

I don't want this series cancelled. However, no matter what we do they'll always have a ton of fans (and in some cases double ours or more) at the cup game. It's just how it is.

IIko

Yes, the PA guy was saying things like, "The UA band is still playing..." "Okay UA band, you can stop playing..." etc.

I dunno, regarding seating, etc. I guess I don't feel as disrespected as some people. We are the away team, what did people think would happen? Only thing I didn't like was the band comments by the PA, everything else was no different than what we do teams that come to SEFCU (less than stellar seats in the corner, etc.)

I guess I'm just not a stick in the mud like some people about playing at the TU in any capacity.

I don't want this series cancelled. However, no matter what we do they'll always have a ton of fans (and in some cases double ours or more) at the cup game. It's just how it is.

For the record, I had no problem this year being stuffed into the corner. Because unlike last year, we were the road team. However I will no longer accept ALWAYS being the road team and berated by their PA for the band to stop playing and various other disrespectful gestures over the year. UA needs to respect itself first...

I do not believe for a second that any more than a few $iena crazies are going to buy UA season tickets; just so they can get into one game. Like someone else said, call their bluff. If 500 or 1000 want to pay $150 (this year's chair back price--I bet it will be much more next year); GOOD, take the money and run. Like several have suggested, there are creative ways to make this $150 ballon for $iena crazies, while not penalizing UA regulars. Anyhow, I doubt that it will really be a big issue.

Now, for this years game, we absolutely sold out our allotment, as we have for the past 15 years. To make us pay for next year, the allotment was reduced from 2000-3000 to 575 seats {the worse seats in the house every year}. Of the 11,000 this year, I bet the % of UA fans was close to what it always has been {40 to 50% of the house}. This year, the UA faithful had to buy their tickets from the tu or $iena directly, but that does not mean they did not attend. $iena average of about 5000 did not ballon to 11,000 from casual attendees alone.

I have been attending UA $iena games before many on this blog were born. I stopped attending three years ago, as a one man's protest to get a fair deal. I never advocated or suggested an all out boycott, as I respect other peoples opinions and their freedom to blog as they deem fit. In my opinion (which I always express as an opinion and not as being gospel), I do not feel the new deal is really much better than before; and if as some suggest it allows $iena to take such a chunk out of our season ticket base that it hurts our ability to draw normaly, than it it is even more problematic. {As I said in my previous blog, I'd be surprised if really more than a few crazies do this though}.

I did not attend this year as it conflicted with a holiday tradition my wife and I have attended for years. I am undecided on my future one man boycotts; this game just does not seem to appeal to me much anymore and I feel that $iena gets so much more from this game than UA does. I may be wrong [remember opinion not gospel], but I do not see this game benefitting UA, while $iena reaps much $s and more importantly recruiting advantages by their affiliation with the tu. I still think the only true "fair" way to continue this series would be the tu as a neutral site. So, I hope even if you do not agree you can respect my desire not to give $20 or even a nickel to llc and the tu.

I know my opinion will not be the most popular but, I don't want the game at SEFCU, I understand 100% why it is wanted there by most and why UA wants it there...Ive always advocated that this game, "supposedly" for ALL FANS and for the entire capital district, should be a total neutral game EVERY year....I'd be happy if it were at the TU which does benefit all who want to go....the game is a total 50/50 split, one side Siena and the other US....I suppose the can alternate benches if they have too...and GET RID of the homer announcer as well....the atmosphere when there are 10K fannies in the seats makes it way more fun...and that is taking into account the bedlam after Peter's THREE last year...I want both bands going at it....both cheer/dance...well, there isn't a comparison there...going at it and fans and players equally....

For the record, I had no problem this year being stuffed into the corner. Because unlike last year, we were the road team. However I will no longer accept ALWAYS being the road team and berated by their PA for the band to stop playing and various other disrespectful gestures over the year. UA needs to respect itself first...

But even if we are the 'home team' at the TU and have 'prime seating'...we'll still be out numbered by a good margin as of present day (based on observation)...so are we really the 'home' team? Ever? I don't think so. Maybe in 15 years we can fill an arena with 8000 UA fans, but right now, no matter where we play...we are at a fan disadvantage or close to it. That's why I'm saying I don't understand why people are so hellbent on being offended that it is a 'road' game and fighting for a 'neutral' court game (again, we'll be out numbered so it's not really neutral). Only thing neutral will be the color of the court lol.

$iena average of about 5000 did not ballon to 11,000 from casual attendees alone.

Sorry dslyank...just my opinion, but there was no way we had 4500 UA fans there. IMO, we were vastly out numbered.

I still think the only true "fair" way to continue this series would be the tu as a neutral site.

See my comment to Click about neutral site game. We will never be the home team at TU. In my opinion (again, as you said, not gospel or fact).

It appears the 525 tickets were divided to 3 of the 4 corners. We were in 101, the people sitting next to us at Sefcu were in 109, etc., etc.

If divided proportionately, Sienas allotment next year should be about 135 tickets.

That's about what other teams get, no? lol.

But even if we are the 'home team' at the TU and have 'prime seating'...we'll still be out numbered by a good margin as of present day (based on observation)...so are we really the 'home' team? Ever? I don't think so. Maybe in 15 years we can fill an arena with 8000 UA fans, but right now, no matter where we play...we are at a fan disadvantage or close to it. That's why I'm saying I don't understand why people are so hellbent on being offended that it is a 'road' game and fighting for a 'neutral' court game (again, we'll be out numbered so it's not really neutral). Only thing neutral will be the color of the court lol.

We only have seen the dynamic of $iena getting the prime seats and everyone esle being sent to the crappy setas.

We will see how next year a home game at Albany plays out and then a reported neutral site game the follwing year.

Will LCC still have more fans at the neutral site game than Albany. Probably.

But I would be surprised if the gap didn't narrow continuously as Albany actaully takes care of the true fans instead of bowing down to LCC as they have in the past