UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Is President Hall the right Choice for Atthletics?

Ruler

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And again, your laws are off...trust me...I WROTE FOUR BILLS THAT ARE HIGHER EDUCATION RELATED. There is no law that states what funding is available. In fact, the governor's office can see fit on how much he wants to dedicate in the budget to the system. Then, they legistlate and negotiate. THERE IS, however, a law stating that the governor cannot GO BELOW a certain level.

While you may be a VP of the SUNY system student government you most likely havent read all the fine print. Head into the Capital and pull the budget books as well as the corresponding law. I think you will re-check your thoughts. As an example...it was Pataki who made over 14% cuts in one year to the SUNY system that got over 12000 students to march on him.

You have good intentions but you are still learning. Until you actually work up on the LOB you are unfortunately, because I am sure you do want to get all the info, a bit out of the loop.

BTW, Tom Golisano got slapped in the face pretty hard (proverbially) by the voters even with his crap 14% showing in 2002...he is a on the dunce chair right now for that move.

The info that I gave on the ratings are the facts..it's the first report

UAlbany News Ranking

And I have worked for, not just with, the NYS Legislature. I worked for Assembly Minority Leader Charles Nesbitt.

I'm not sure why you, as you have been the only one saying it has been, seem to think my opinions are a personal insult. I have made a number of statements since I have been on this board that people have disagreed with, just as I have disagreed with many posts from various people, all without claims of personal attacks being thrown around.

If you don't think the academics of this University are good, then I certainly respect your opinion and don't view it as a personal attack upon myself or the other thousands of students who have chosen this University. I simply expressed my opinion using my current experiences as a student and current program reputations.

Also, after Ruler's original post, I asked a number of my friends if they felt we were "on par with Michigan and Florida." All of them said no, and a number of them even laughed and thought I was joking. So I really don't believe that us students have a drastically unrealistic view of how UAlbany stands. If anything, a number of the students don't even realize the amazing reputations that a number of our programs have.

Ruler,

First off, none of this is meant to be a personal inslut or slap to you, but your last post is exactly the negative kind of crap that demoralizes students and anyone looking to have some kind of a relationship with this University, as you can see from Reeder's post. You have hit something that is near and dear to my heart (the University that I spend $10-15k per year to attend). So, let's look at the issues:

I'll pick the most absurd thing first,

Again, this is in no way meant to be personal Ruler, I just ask you to realize what you're saying and thinking before you post it on this board. Especially with something as serious as the academic integrity of this University.

You make me laugh because you must be kidding. Check the tone of this quote. Anything you said in between these two were meaningless because, while you meant it as not a slap, you slapped Ruler right in the face.

It's all in the delivery kiddo. I am glad u interned for the NYS. Doesn't make you knoweldgeble on the actual laws. I know the program you were in. You meet some constituents, talk with the rep you work for, rewrite some proposed bills, go get gold or blue sheets filled out for sponsorship and hit cocktail parties. Now if you show me these laws you purport to exist...I will buy you a steak dinner.

First off, I don't think any of that is insulting. But I certainly apologize to Ruler if he has any problem with the tone that you speak of. But even his responding post did not mention any interpretation of a personally aimed negative tone from myself.

For the "absurd" part about the Party School Ranking, it doesn't mean that it was "absurd" what Ruler said, but that the ranking is the most absurd thing.

Further, I was not an intern through the University Assembly/Senate program that you are refering to. I was hired by Charlie's office even before I started attending this school. Please do not assume you know so much about me. I will certainly be more than happy to let you know anything about myself if I am simply asked.

It seems (whether my mistake or yours) that you're assuming a lot of insulting tones that you feel I made. Again, if you wanted to clarify anything I posted to check exactly how I meant it, I will always be more than willing to do so if simply asked before accused.

What a fire storm I created...LOL!

1) Thanks to Dane 96 for coming to my rescue. We will eventually meet at a game and then throw one or two back at "The Pub" after a resounding victory with Fordie, Simpson, and several Alumni. See brilliant minds think alike...LOL!

2) I will formally apologize to anyone who thougt I was insulting Albany. It was read out of context. I did not say Albany was "awful" I actually said our ranking was awful. Go back and re read my statement

3) When I ame out of Albany in 1987 I was waiting for Wall Street to embrace me with open arms and catapult me to the board of Goldman Sachs. Why did I think this? Because I kept hearing about how great our business school was and how many people were turned down trying to get in. You know what happened on my first interview down here? The interviewer asked me why I should hire you when he has 10 kids in the waiting room from Stanford, Harvard, Duke etc. I said "but I graduated from Albany" HE LAUGHED AT ME. That was real world 101. Fortunatly I have skin of steel and proceeded. I am NOT on the board of Goldman, but 18 years and many black eyes later I am holding my own. I could of went to Cortland(thank God I did not) and be in the same position. You will realize all of this your first month out and see WE ARE A DECENT SCHOOL, WE ARE NOT YALE.

4) I think the world of my experience at Albany. I love the football program, the coaching staff(they were truley instrumental in my supposed success), I have made the best friends I have in this world at Albany (yes most of them are former athletes )

5) Finally, back to my initial point Is Hall the right guy to get OUR Stadium built? Is he the right guy to get Albany to full scholarship football? I sure as hell hope so!

let me tell you...I WAS ON THE FIELD WHEN PRESIDENT HALL CAME OUT TO CELEBRATE WITH THE LACROSSE TEAM...THIS MAN BLEEDS PURPLE AND GOLD, AND WANTS SUCCESS IN THIS DEPARTMENT...HE GAVE THAT TEAM ONE HELL OF A VICTORY SPEECH...

Hey Guys thanks for all of the support for WCDB this season. I had a blast for three years and i certainly will be rootin for the Danes all the way out in the midwest. One program that doesn't get ranked by US News that is tops at Albany is the Earth and Atmospheric Science graduate program. 70 students applied for 6 spots for the fall semester. My buddy had 3.6 and was rejected. its one of the tops in the nation and we party just as hard as we study and we study pretty hard. Thanks Guys.

let me tell you...I WAS ON THE FIELD WHEN PRESIDENT HALL CAME OUT TO CELEBRATE WITH THE LACROSSE TEAM...THIS MAN BLEEDS PURPLE AND GOLD, AND WANTS SUCCESS IN THIS DEPARTMENT...HE GAVE THAT TEAM ONE HELL OF A VICTORY SPEECH...

A guy showing up and a guy earmarking money for athletics are two seperate things. I dont care if he showed up...he has publically stated our facilities are adequate. Wake up....the guy is not a pro-facility guy...and it will hurt us in recruiting. FACT!

Ruler:

Just an aside that is not a big deal and a little late in the game...but I just have to defend my alma mater (UA School of Criminal Justice). It is a common misconception that it is a "police academy" as you stated. In actuality it is a school of Criminology (criminal, correction, and prevention theory). I know this has nothing to do with President Hall being good for athletics, but I've heard too many people refer to the Criminal Justice school as a police academy and I thought I should clarify that it is not.

On President Hall:

I think its too early to tell if he will be good for UA Athletics. But I do know one thing...if Hall and McElroy can't get on the same page about the future plans we are in big trouble. Another issue for consideration is how much the student body opinion regarding athletics will be taken into consideration. Everyone who plays sports at UA and a handful of other students want the facilities and ahtletics to improve...but from my experience the majority of the student body doesn't seem to care about sports. It looks like Hall is really interested in what students think and if he gets the idea that students are more concerned with other things why wouldn't he address those concerns first. After all, his job is to spark more interest in the school as a whole.

May personal opinion (being an alumni and former UA athlete) is that increasing athletic funding for the school is great, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind having a diploma on my office wall that gets a little more respect than it does now. (I don't think many UA grads would argue with me on that point.)

Point is right...but not forward thinking. People, you need to start realizing an argument that was made years ago when BCS first became a household name: 80,000 people dont pay to watch a chemistry experiment that will help cancer research, however 80,000 people in turn pay to have the facilities for that experiment. While we will never ever be a Florida State, where athletics support new academic builidngs, we also WILL NEVER EVER EVER BE A TOP 20 or PATRIOT LEAGUE SCHOOl...end of story.

What we can be, however, is a highly recognized school, one that is known not in the NE but across the country. Sure, in the programs like Criminology, or my MPA program from Rockefeller College, we are recognized, however the students who attend these programs pale in comparative numbers to those students who live out of state and want to attend because they have A) heard of UA or B) love the atmosphere at UA. Those two come from public awareness that can only be achieved by sport recognition....something people need to start accepting.

This, my friends, was a big reason NU moved to the CAA; across the board their member schools are widely known for academics and sports. The fact remains, we should be postioning ourselves for CAA membership when the time comes that the conference will implode...and it will in 5 years. Facilities are what counts, and students who have not lived outside the glass of the University are not capable of looking at the big picture. It is a fact, not my own belief, that DI sports increases donations. There have been numerous studies. It is also a fact that DI sports does not increase donations on a large basis if the program is not successful. The school needs as much money as possible and to be frank, academic progams will not suffer in the short run because the University's development arm (a seperate part of the school...the Foundation) will always procure money and grants for academic projects. TO divert excess funding from the budget to increase the athletic opportunities will hurt in the short run but will come around to build a better overall community, both academically and athletically, in the long run.

My buddy, a former U Florida student who was a top athlete, attend the lax final on Sat. He said "man, that campus is much nicer than I thought it would be, however your athletic facilities are an embarrassment for DI." OUtside of the RACC, he is correct. This is a man who works with Universities all across the country on a regular basis. His thought was that Albany and not Buffalo, a school he worked with, can truly be the UCLA of the East if given a little direction by our leaders. The UCLA comment stemmed from my recruiting story when UB told me they were the UCLA of the EAST.

President Hall and Dr. McElroy are not on the same page...that much is apparent. Again, it is not too early to judge someone who publically makes unabashed statements regarding the level of our facilities. Further, for those around long enough, President Swygert and Hitchcock both went on the record early on regarding the need for DI athletics and the importance to the community. Even when it was a very touchy subject, they took a stance backing our moves.

Could you imagine if our football team had Lavalle stadium? The local community would fill that place...count on it....and money would start pouring in...not from ticket sales, but from a more important source: CORPORATE DONORS. That, that is what pays the bills.

Dane96:

You have raised a very very very very valid and troubling point. Where are all the corporate sponsors? What at UA has been built on corporate sponsorship? The only thing I can think of is the Science Library that was built on Barnes and Nobles contributions. I know there exists much beurocratic bull because UA is a state school, but does it completely rule out corporate sponsorship? Why doesn't UA focus on the local powerhouse companies like First Albany, Inc. "First Albany Stadium" sounds pretty nice to me. What about "Tokyo Electron Fieldhouse"? As much as it may appear to be, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

Second, not being state government politically savy, how does an institution go about naming something after a political figure. Joe Bruno has a stadium built in his name, why can't UA have the "George Pataki Stadium"? Sounds like that would be great incentive for some state funds.

Perhaps you are right Dane 96...We as UA supporters have been conditioned not to be forward looking. We have seen slow progess with everything to this point and we are all skeptical about change.

Where are all the corporate sponsors?  What at UA has been built on corporate sponsorship?  The only thing I can think of is the Science Library that was built on Barnes and Nobles contributions. 

Well, there IS the Key Atrium at the RACC ($250K donation) but in general you're right, there isn't a lot of naming for corps, even though a lot of equipment for CESTM was donated. Since Fallon's donation for the lax field is also $250K, that may be the minimum for building naming rights.