UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday's Scrimmage

I just got back from the basketball scrimmage and football game a while ago. I thought the scrimmage was really well-run and pretty well attended. Hopefully there were some recruits on campus because that would have been a good thing for them to see. Really well-done.

The team was split into two teams. One was Jamar, Levi, Covington, Courtney, Brent and Connelly. The other was Lou, Iati, Zoellner, Siggers, Graham, Knotts and Bauman. Jamar/Levi's team won by seven or eight.

Before the game in lay-up lines either Zoellner or Siggers dunked on one of their attempts which spurred an unofficial dunk contest with Levi, Jamar, Lou, Covington, Siggers, Zoeller, and Graham getting in on the action. My winner was Siggers. Overall I was really impressed with Siggers, terrific athlete and good shooter.

After the scrimmage Brown took a microphone and anwered questions from the crowd who had a microphone handed around talk-show style. A couple of questions about exceptations and of course, the Siena game.

Of the returning players Jamar and Levi stood out the most. Really looks like Levi has lost some weight and seems alot quicker than I ever remember him. He was really flying around the court. Jamar looked slimmed down to me and if it's possible, quicker than last year. Iati had the unenviable job of trying to guard him and had his hands full.

Of the new guys I was impressed with both Siggers and Graham. Really thought Siggers was "just" a sniper but looked to have a lot more to his game than than. He really should add a lot. Ditto for Graham. He had some nice touch around the hoop. He is pretty thin but skilled and can really get off the ground.

Neither Covington or Connelly looked great in the first half but seemed to find themselves in the last 12 minutes. For freshman I was surprised that they both looked college ready strength-wise. These aren't beanpoles you hope will grown. Covington had some nice post moves and more importantly a determination to score when he catches it down low. Connelly got pushed around early but asserted himself after a while and grabbed some tough rebounds. He stuck with an offensive rebound and got a putback and foul that got the crowd excited.

Really a nice intoduction to the team and well-done. If they do this again next year I'd certainly enourage people to go. It's worth the trip.

The three local papers were represented as were several TV stations. I haven't seen any of the TV reports.

If Iati's rusty it didn't show in his shooting. He knocked down a couple of 3s and looked physically much stronger. Tough to gauge too much about Zoellner in a game like this. A lot of up and down and guard play. He did score several times and got fouled while going up.

Rodger Wyland and the Gazette's Bob Weiner were there, at least.

Courtney Johnson decided to take a charge when Zoellner went to the hoop. He went down and then left the arena for a while for a wardrobe adjustment (cup check) but he returned a few minutes later.

I missed the first half. In the 2nd Zoellner mostly played a high post, didn't go inside too much. But they were only 12-minute halves.

Probably 150-200 in attendance

An article in this morning's Times-Union provides more information and actual scoring for yesterday's scrimmage.

As reported by others, Jason Siggers appears to have made major contributions in scoring yesterday. Even Zoellner seems to have scored a fair number of points in the shortened play.

The results from the scrimmage make me feel even more positive about the upcoming season. I can't wait for the season to begin!

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...date=10/16/2005

I too attended.

Dane Pound hit the biggest points that struck me too. Jamar and Levi lost weight and were with out a doubt quicker. Jamar more like he was freshman year. Levi, like I've never seen him before.

Siggers very athletic, but I liked a couple of Jamars dunks the best in warmups (helped by the weight loss?). Siggers was very aggressive defensively and offensively (will not lead the team in assist).

Jamars D was impressive and also grabbed a couple of big boards.

One thing I saw was that Covington is ready to play and battled the other bigs very competitively. He didn't show much offense, but had little opportunity.

If Levi can play with that quickness and intensity this season this team will greatly improve and the others looking for minutes in his slot better be ready to go.

Well run scrimmage.

One other note that I think is impressive is the attititude and approach of this team and coach. I think you'd be hard pressed to put fourteen 18-22 year olds in a gym and not have some quetionable language (just out of habit). But in a gym with only 200 I did not hear one obscenity. Maybe my bar is low, but I think thats a good thing. A nice reflection on the coach and program as a whole. This has been the case under Coach Brown (absent the Levi incident, which was handled).

I continue to be cautiously opptimistic and can't wait for these games to start.

I too attended.

Dane Pound hit the biggest points that struck me too.  Jamar and Levi lost weight and were with out a doubt quicker.  Jamar more like he was freshman year.  Levi, like I've never seen him before.

Siggers very athletic, but I liked a couple of Jamars dunks the best in warmups (helped by the weight loss?).  Siggers was very aggressive defensively and offensively (will not lead the team in assist).

One thing I saw was that Covington is ready to play and battled the other bigs very competitively.  He didn't show much offense, but had little opportunity.

If Levi can play with that quickness and intensity this season this team will greatly improve and the others looking for minutes in his slot better be ready to go.

Well run scrimmage.

One other note that I think is impressive is the attititude and approach of this team and coach.  I think you'd be hard pressed to put fourteen 18-22 year olds in a gym and not have some quetionable language (just out of habit).  But in a gym with only 200 I did not hear one obscenity.  Maybe my bar is low, but I think thats a good thing.  A nice reflection on the coach and program as a whole.  This has been the case under Coach Brown (absent the Levi incident, which was handled).

I continue to be cautiously opptimistic and can't wait for these games to start.

9854[/snapback]

I am a little bit jacked up from coffee, however I am even more excited after reading this stuff. I am getting my Siena tickets (coming with a large group this year) today.

I think DP and McFan hit alot of important notes, including the fact this team seems to be focused (McFan....you are correct....obscenities are normal and for there to be none that were audible says alot about the focus of these kids) and that the recruits are doing exactly what was expected: athleticsm (Graham), aggressiveness and sniping (Siggers), and providing low post presence (our heralded frosh).

Let the games begin.....

I too attended.

Dane Pound hit the biggest points that struck me too.  Jamar and Levi lost weight and were with out a doubt quicker.  Jamar more like he was freshman year.  Levi, like I've never seen him before.

Siggers very athletic, but I liked a couple of Jamars dunks the best in warmups (helped by the weight loss?).  Siggers was very aggressive defensively and offensively (will not lead the team in assist).

One thing I saw was that Covington is ready to play and battled the other bigs very competitively.  He didn't show much offense, but had little opportunity.

Well run scrimmage.

One other note that I think is impressive is the attititude and approach of this team and coach.  I think you'd be hard pressed to put fourteen 18-22 year olds in a gym and not have some quetionable language (just out of habit).  But in a gym with only 200 I did not hear one obscenity.  Maybe my bar is low, but I think thats a good thing.  A nice reflection on the coach and program as a whole.  This has been the case under Coach Brown (absent the Levi incident, which was handled).

9854[/snapback]

I am a little bit jacked up from coffee, however I am even more excited after reading this stuff. I am getting my Siena tickets (coming with a large group this year) today.

I think DP and McFan hit alot of important notes, including the fact this team seems to be focused (McFan....you are correct....obscenities are normal and for there to be none that were audible says alot about the focus of these kids) and that the recruits are doing exactly what was expected: athleticsm (Graham), aggressiveness and sniping (Siggers), and providing low post presence (our heralded frosh).

Let the games begin.....

9857[/snapback]

Did anyone else think that the play by Zoellner during the scrimmage looked very much improved over last year? I noticed he wasn't doing his crazy hook shot, instead he was moving towards the basket, and he was drawing a lot of fouls.

As for the rest of the team I definitely enjoyed what I saw out of them. Jamar did amazing he looks like he is in top form, Levi despite not getting a point looked good as a role player, I really liked Siggers play I think he is going to be a burst of energy coming off the bench, the NB3 Grahm, Convington, and Connelly looked good. I think Connelly was a little shaky until the second half, Convington played well despite having to match up against bigZ. Grahm did well I wonder how many tattoos the guy had on his arms? Everyone looked good I even liked a couple of shots Bauman made, he could have a major role in the offense next season after Jordan graduates.

I know I've said I liked a lot of what I saw but I think the most impressive thing is that this team wants to win, and that they will accept whatever role coach Brown gives them, and will do there role well. To me that’s a great thing to have heading into a season, and as long as they keep a level head, we should be seeing UA go rather far into the conference tournament and hopefully the championship.

He got his cast off on Thursday. He was keeping stats on the bench. He's itching to get back, but realistically, no chances should be taken by coming back too soon. The AE is not getting an a large bid into the NCAA tournamet, so the most important games are in the league. I'd hate to lose Brian for any of those contests because he rushed back into the line up.