UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

bracketology

During the BU-Duke game last night both Bilas and McDonough were impressed by BU. Bilas said he was surprised Albany was picked by the coaches to win the AE. That was echoed later by Steve Lavin on College Basketball Tonight or whatever they call it. It wasn't in the greatest context in the world but was great to hear the AE and Albany discussed on ESPN. Hopefully it builds more excitement for the home opener.

just so everyone knows...i want to hit Bilas everytime i here him talk about certain things...im glad i missed the game, because if i heard and Albany bashing by him, i probably would have put a bat threw my TV...

he's a tool. Only ESPN Analysis for them i have respect for is Andy Katz...cause he just reports whats the deal, and doesnt throw his bs garbage at people...these other guys think they are gods gift to the world.

ESPN's Joe Lunardi has us in the play-in game

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

10402[/snapback]

I've gone to the website, and I see no mention of UAlbany at all. Can you please direct me to the place where we are mentioned. Maybe I can't see in this dark, dismal day.

10405[/snapback]

On the front page, under the title, before E-mail Joe it says "Here's Joe's season-opening look at the 2006 bracket. Note: Teams in CAPS are auto qualifiers. Play-in game is Albany (Am. East) vs. Hampton (MEAC). Records are from 2004-05 season (D-I only). Comments?"

ESPN's Joe Lunardi has us in the play-in game

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

10402[/snapback]

I've gone to the website, and I see no mention of UAlbany at all. Can you please direct me to the place where we are mentioned. Maybe I can't see in this dark, dismal day.

10405[/snapback]

Took me a while too, thought we were off the list or something. We are listed on the top right next to Lunardi's head in a sentence about the play-in rather than a bracket. It has us playing Hampton from the MEAC. Hope that helps.

[On the front page, under the title, before E-mail Joe it says  "Here's Joe's season-opening look at the 2006 bracket. Note: Teams in CAPS are auto qualifiers. Play-in game is Albany (Am. East) vs. Hampton (MEAC). Records are from 2004-05 season (D-I only). Comments?"

10406[/snapback]

Thanks, UAalum 72. I doubt I would have found the citing without your help.

One question about the ranking: Has the AEast's position at the end of the season sunk so low in this rater's eyes that the league does not deserve one of the 16 regular slots in a single regional?

Guess we will have to go out and prove otherwise.

That said, I think that BU's performance vs Duke last night indicates very difficult competition to win the league title.

I think that most analysts are looking at the competition in the AE this year as more of a Vermont downfall as compared the building of some solid competitive programs by the Danes and even BU. I think many people will be surprised when the see that the AE is not just a one team conference as it has been in the past.

That being said I think that may hurt the conference winner when March Madness rolls around. If the competition for the conference does exist as I expect it will it will probably hurt our conference and overall record heading into selection sunday. So in the end, coming out of an underrated division, with a battled record it would not surprise me that AE champ has the play in game.

My understanding is that the selection committee ranks the teams and the 64th and 65th ranked team are in the play in game.

I think those are usually mid major teams that upset teams in there conference tournaments (last year Alabama A&M was a 4th or 5th seed and won their tournament and Oakland was 7th in their conference and won their tournament). I'm sure that they use RPI and other factors as well.

This is why, as a conference, you want members to win OOC games (improved conference RPI). It's also why scheduling is so important. If you look at the BU schedule, they play a lot of OOC games that are "winnable" against teams with comparable or higher RPI's - Rhode Island, UMass, Canisius, Holy Cross, Michigan and a west coast tournament that is with comparable teams giving them a chance to win.

I mentioned on the AE board a while back, that the conference needs to enforce some sort of minimum RPI for OOC games to ensure that the conference teams are playing at an appropriate level of competition. It's good to play games against NEC and Ivy league opponents, but take a look at last years schedules that Northeastern, BU, Vermont and Binghamton had - again a lot of winnable games against higher or comparable RPI teams.

If whoever wins the AE wins both the regular season and the tournament they will probably avoid the play in game (assuming there are a couple of upsets in other tournaments). Also, if the winner of the AE wins some significant OOC games, they may avoid the play in - one reason the bracketbuster game could be important.

All of that said, having to win a play in game is not necessarily a bad thing.

In regard to Bilas - I don't think he was saying anything bad about UA. He and Lavin both said they were surprised that BU wasn't picked to win the conference. These are people that don't know mid major basketball. If Kyle Whelliston (mid majority.com) said that, then I think it would have some validity. Also, remember that Bilas spoke at a BU event a couple of weeks back and these guys work with Tom Brennan who competed with BU for conference championships for the last few years.

Bilas said he was surprised Albany was picked by the coaches to win the AE. That was echoed later by Steve Lavin on College Basketball Tonight or whatever they call it.  - Dane Pound

i heard the comments as well ... it sounded as though they had done zero homework on UA/America East for 05-06 ... as reeder stated, "These are people that don't know mid-major basketball." ... BU looked good vs. an elite team, therefore not surprising ... pleased that the BPG is vs. the terriers, best crowd of the year for the most pivotal game, AE tournament homecourt likely on the line

This stuff means not a thing until the season gets into full swing.

Injuries - Upsets - Winning as the preseason favorite

and

not dropping games to teams we should beat

that's what it's about

that's one reason why the NCAA kicks the NBA's butt

you never know how things will end up