UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Binghamton game

Listened on the internet.

Good win - sounded like a decent crowd and it must be a big boost for their confidence.

Thoughts on what I heard:

1. Lillis seemed to have a great game - at last count they said he had 11 boards.

2. Jamar seemed to have a few bad turnovers. Twice, Wyland said that Jamar was doing too much and right after he said it, Jamar got a TO.

3. I think it took Brown too long to get Zoellner out of the game when he was being fouled late in the game. That late in the game, it was just a free throw contest.

4. Brown sounded so happy in the post game interview - must be a huge relief to get the win.

Good win - bring on Stony Brook.

13 missed foul shots, a few bad turnovers, but the W was great. I guess we let them back in so we can win a close one. Very cagy of the coach! We stand around a little too much when Jamar gets the ball. Iati was money, even after sitting for a long stretch. Whew!

Ugly game to sit thru. Don't think this is the first game of 2:20+ this year.

Announced 2300+ isn't bad with finals over.

Anybody see/hear how Gordon got his broken nose & concussion?

Couldn't figure how Walker got himself a technical right after a foul call against Albany.

Ugly game to sit thru. Don't think this is the first game of 2:20+ this year.

Announced 2300+ isn't bad with finals over.

Anybody see/hear how Gordon got his broken nose & concussion?

Couldn't figure how Walker got himself a technical right after a foul call against Albany.

10894[/snapback]

Not sure about Gordon's broken nose. It was during the play when Zo made his half-hook 6 footer with the foul. The refs called the foul and then Gordon came over with his nose dripping all over.

Walker got the T for, well, being Walker (boy was it fun with him right near us students on the far end..lol). But the actual call was right after the foul you mentioned was called, it was pretty quiet and Walker jumped into the court and yelled at the top of his lungs right at the ref something like "He's just sitting in the lane the whole time!!" I'm assuming he was thinking Zo was in the lane longer than the 3 secs. Certainly not the worst of what he was doing, including nearly making contact with players during the game when he jumped on the court yelling throughout the contest.

Walker is a big screaming idiot but you have to admit he was effective in getting his team some calls. Those fouls on Hailey's drives at the end of the game were outregous, not to mention Jamar's fifth "blocking" foul on Olemo.

Jamar did at times try and to do much but I was happy to see he's rediscovered his pull-up jumper instead of driving all the way to the hoop all the time. Iati was clutch. I like that he told Coach Brown in the huddle to give him the ball because he'd make the free throws.

Walker is a big screaming idiot but you have to admit he was effective in getting his team some calls. Those fouls on Hailey's drives at the end of the game were outregous, not to mention Jamar's fifth "blocking" foul on Olemo.

Dane Pound,

You are absolutely correct on Walker and the refs. I am surprised that none of the articles mentioned those questionable calls at the end of the game which were critical to whether UAlbany would remain in control of the game or allow it to go down to the wire.

Now some other points:

(1) Albany finally won a close game. It's about time. Congratulations to the team for remaining composed in the face of adversity.

(2) When Jamar fouled out, part of me was thinking this situation could actually be good for the team. It is not good when the entire prospects for us depend on only one player. We were able to get it done without him. I hope he realized the same point while sitting on the bench. He no longer has to do everything, which inevitably sometimes leads to poor decisions. His perception could go a long way to make this team even better.

(3) Coach Brown utilized different strategies in this game - plans which proved successful. Starting Lillis at the point and using Zoellner when he was most effective were two strategies that worked. Brown has had to learn a lot this season. He has begun to use his players much more effectively. First, he had to learn to use more weapons; until this season he had a small bench. Now, he has begun to use his players according to how they fit best into a successul pattern. Let's give this young coach some credit for these lessons. I am sure that he is much more relieved about his team and his future.

(4) UAlbany played better this game. While we did fall behind early in the first half, we did not do so in the second half. When was the last time we did not start either half on a weak note?

(5) It was good to see the size crowd we had. With the students gone and the terrible losses to Sacred Heart and Harvard, it was good to see over 2,000 people in attendance - more than last Saturday. Not every UAlbany fan is a fair-weather follower.

(6) What's with Walker? I have watched many basketball games, but this game was the first I ever saw a coach get a T and the call. Yes, I know he's Walker, but . . . ?

It's great to win again, and it was great to win a close game.

"3) Coach Brown utilized different strategies in this game - plans which proved successful. Starting Lillis at the point and using Zoellner when he was most effective were two strategies that worked. Brown has had to learn a lot this season. He has begun to use his players much more effectively. First, he had to learn to use more weapons; until this season he had a small bench. Now, he has begun to use his players according to how they fit best into a successul pattern. Let's give this young coach some credit for these lessons. I am sure that he is much more relieved about his team and his future."

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend last night's game and I do not get TW3 here is Mass. So I cannot comment on what I did not see. Anyway, I do agree with the statements about Brown's "learning" in the above quote from Olddog71. It is too easy to forget that Brown is still one of the youngest coaches in D1. Yes, he has a lot to learn. Yes, we (the team) are not living up to expectations. Yes, we (the fans) are frustrated. However, I, for one, am willing to give him more time, even if we don't finish this season where most of us had anticipated. I see too many positives with this coach to turn him loose, if that is what the AD and others are already thinking. He is a very good recruiter. He has surrounded himself with a good staff. He works exterenly hard and is willing to make changes when necessary.

For the short term, we wish things were better. But for the long term, I do see this PROGRAM growing along with the coach. I'd hate to sacrifice the long term for short term satisfaction.

Good win.

How often can you say great job from your point gaurd when he has 2 pts and 2 assists and 1 steal? Almost forgot 11 rebounds, 1 block and only 1 TO. And despite only 2 assist, 5 guys in double figures.

Besides the obvious points I also loved the way Levi was used at the end of the game. He is, for a big man (kind of), a good ballhandler and good free throw shooter and was very effective against the press. 0 points though.

Free throw shooting must improve. Absent Iati's 8-8, 50% for the team.

As already pointed out, J. Wilson's pull ups were nice to see and were at a clutch time in the game. This should make him more effective and cut down the TO's. Also liked his 8 rebounds at 6'1".

Jimmy Covington made a nice impact on the game. I see some offensive potential, and love the aggressiveness. Reminded me a bit of Wyatt on a tie-up, he was going to get the ball even if the whistle blew.

Just a nice win against a team that plays a style that is tough to watch and I would imagine tough to play against.

Free throw shooting must improve.  Absent Iati's 8-8, 50% for the team.

10903[/snapback]

Good observation on the foul shooting.

Usually, UAlbany is much better at the line. Last year, Jamar was one of the best in the country, but not last night.

Last night, Binghamton was better, although in several games this season, their free throw shooting was abominable.

Hopefully, this discrepancy will even itself out in the game at Binghamton, and we will have an advantage down there.

Yes, Lillis's 11 rebounds were great. You could just see the wheels in his head turning as he anticipated where the missed shot was going to land. He got into good position. It may be one of the reasons why Brown thinks he is a smart player.

Specifically, Zoellner will need to improve his free throws. He is clearly playnig much better, but he will be fouled more because he is more aggressive. Also, when they are in a close game, teams will use the Binghamton strategy and just foul him.

Also, over the next few games, it would be good to see Lillis make a few shots. The risk is that his defender starts to back off and sag into the lane creating a double team on Zoellner.

Binghamton plays a different brand of basketball - aggressive in the half court. Almost like the old Big East. That lends itself to sloppy play.

You're right, Reeder. Lillis will have to make some shots. But that should not be a problem. As I recall, he had one of the highest shooting percentages on the team last year and some were from way out. The problem is that he doesn't take many shots. However, I think he will once he feels more comfortable with more playing time. He is certainly smart enough to know when he will have to stop and pop.

Good Win!! I'll bite my tongue on the negatives and stay positive:

**Attendance--a pleasant surprise for a Tuesday--student attendance was very good!!

**Iowa--We need more mid-westerners--great fundamental skills and even greater effort

**Lillis--when the rust comes off he may be special--great court sense--probably not a true point guard but knows the job of a point and does it--GREAT REBOUNDING

**Levi--must be hard after being a go-to-guy but he is doing his job as a Captain--challenging team members and when called on goes in and does his job

**Brown--good substitutions in the end--mobility and free throw shooters

**Iati--you got to love him--a 3 in the first half off the backboard which he didn't call but the refs let it count and then 8 free throws off the bench

**Covington--as he improves the team will improve

**Depth--the first time we have seen how important it is to have a bench--in prior years we would have lost this game!

**Lucious--whenever things seemed to be going South, Lucious came up with a big effort

I'm glad McFan mentioned Covington because I noticed him last night also. He did a nice job backing Herminer down to the hoop for his first basket. Then they went back to him again and he backed him to the hoop again and got fouled. Hopefully he finds some rythym as he gets more playing time but definetly something to build on there.

I do agree with the statements about Brown's "learning" in the above quote from Olddog71. It is too easy to forget that Brown is still one of the youngest coaches in D1. Yes, he has a lot to learn. Yes, we (the team) are not living up to expectations. Yes, we (the fans) are frustrated. However, I, for one, am willing to give him more time, even if we don't finish this season where most of us had anticipated. I see too many positives with this coach to turn him loose, if that is what the AD and others are already thinking. He is a very good recruiter. He has surrounded himself with a good staff. He works exterenly hard and is willing to make changes when necessary.  - UA66

plenty of season left to "live up to expectations" ... important for the AD/administration to remember how we arrived at the point where there are expectations ... slow, and yes, painful start to the year, but Brown deserves the vast majority of the credit for elevating the team from rubble (departure of "the man whose name we should not mention")/DI infancy to the point where most analysts/fans expect to make the tournament ... to the folks murmuring for a coup d'etat because of a 3 and 6 start, the coaching staff has earned a little more support and patience from the UA family ... "just my $.02" ... happy holidays kids