UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flag Man going National

This from Mark McGuire's column this morning:

Flag Man, super fan

University at Albany's memorable NCAA tournament appearance ended two weeks ago. But Great Dane's super fan Adam Thorpe is still getting face time on CBS.

The 23-year-old senior and Queensbury native is a fixture at games: 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, he paints his face purple and gold, waves a giant UAlbany flag, and generally goes nuts.

He caught the attention of CBS cameras, and CSTV. Thorpe will be profiled during the Final Four on CBS and its cable sister in a 30-second CSTV package highlighting rabid college basketball fans. Thorpe is one of nine fans who will be getting the mini-biography treatment in a Coke-sponsored spot.

You can watch the spot now at http://www.cstv.com/coca-cola/.

A side note: Former Times Union columnist (and UAlbany grad) Keith Marder is now the spokesman for CSTV.

This from Mark McGuire's column this morning:

Flag Man, super fan

University at Albany's memorable NCAA tournament appearance ended two weeks ago. But Great Dane's super fan Adam Thorpe is still getting face time on CBS.

The 23-year-old senior and Queensbury native is a fixture at games: 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, he paints his face purple and gold, waves a giant UAlbany flag, and generally goes nuts.

He caught the attention of CBS cameras, and CSTV. Thorpe will be profiled during the Final Four on CBS and its cable sister in a 30-second CSTV package highlighting rabid college basketball fans. Thorpe is one of nine fans who will be getting the mini-biography treatment in a Coke-sponsored spot.

You can watch the spot now at http://www.cstv.com/coca-cola/.

A side note: Former Times Union columnist (and UAlbany grad) Keith Marder is now the spokesman for CSTV.

13683[/snapback]

And so it begins. So many of our alumni wanted to be simply...college grads. The sad thing is we have so many alumni in SO MANY INFLUENTIAL places. Our school is not perceived to be a top school because our alumni dont hold an affection for it to actually help prop the school up.

Now, you will see more and more ancillary benefits of our sports program success because these alumni WILL affiliate their work with the school they came from.

We are slowly becoming a household name.

Again....THANK YOU TO BOTH THE TOP ACADEMIC PROGRAMS AT UA and to OUR ADEPT and athletes for their tireless efforts to represent our school. The work is showing signs of paying off.

BTW....THORPE....big part of that.....and this should only help us yet again. We need more crazies like THORPE and GDG...and the other youngin's who come to this board.

i must defend myself in this. I would be with the group of Thorpe if i didnt have the broadcasting. I worked with Brian and am friendly with Thorpe, and both of them i truely believe are the student faces of this university.

I originally wanted to join them at that point, but with my work at WCDB, i know i cant do that. However, ask Thorpe...i was side by side with him in Binghamton when we won that semifinal game. Whenever I go to a game and dont broadcast, i find him, cause i want to be a part of that.

Way to go Flagman (a.k.a Mr. Thorpe). My wife is not a sports fan but has reluctantly gone to a few games with me over the years. Rgearding the games of recent years, it seems she only remembers Flagman and will sometimes ask when I get home from games if Flagman was there doing his thing. The she asks if Albany won.

I have been waiting for that moment for sooooo long!!!!!!!!!! there's going to be one more thing as well not sure when it will air though.

13807[/snapback]

Dude...who replaces you next year...gotta work on that (your hard work should be continued).

Also...someone should wave a "BIGPURPLEFANS.COM" flag at the games...get people to find this board....start the culture in a new way.

I have been waiting for that moment for sooooo long!!!!!!!!!! there's going to be one more thing as well not sure when it will air though.

13807[/snapback]

Also...someone should wave a "BIGPURPLEFANS.COM" flag at the games...get people to find this board....start the culture in a new way.

13808[/snapback]

I'm considering having some shirts printed up next year. If I do I'll have a Big Purple Fan tailgate next fall to hand them out.