UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attandance

In my opinion playing at the Pepsi is not a big deal. The time has come for this series to be home and home in alternating years.

It's just another road game when we need home games - 3/4,000 home fans at the RACC is more profitable to us then 9 or 10,000 fans at the Pepsi where Siena benefits.

As for this tourney concept its ridiculous if we're forced to play Siena at the Pepsi every year. They have the upper hand as far as dictating when and at what time.

We need to have as many home games as possible when students are on campus, we don't need to be helping Siena fill its budgetary needs. Do the teams in the MAAC play all their games at the Pepsi because it has more room then their on campus facility. They all play home and home.

It's one thing to have a Major pay you to play at their facility but it's a little silly for a team who over the last two seasons has a lower RPI dictating what's going to happen and benefitting from the game and have us walk away with basically nothing.

Our goal should be to continue to increase attendance at the RACC not at the Pepsi.

14078[/snapback]

Sounds good to me!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thoughts...

1) separate from the question of should we be playing all the Siena/UA games at the Pepsi, if UA gets the revenue from tickets sold through the UA box office, then there is no excuse if this has not been communicated to at least UA season ticket holders (please correct me if I'm wrong season ticket holders) UA's marketing dept needs to step up.

2) I agree completely that the RACC is the building to fill. but from my point of view our OOC need to mature a bit. I'd pass up a road game against a top 10 team in a heart beat for two games against top 50 teams with a chance to get an eventual home game. Hell I'd like to play more top 100 teams. I want to see some quality wins from this team next year. We have come a long way in two short years but this is where we need to be going.

I for one believe that the Siena/UAlbany game should always be played at the Pepsi. It really creates a big-time college basketball atmosphere which is great for the fans and players. Can you imagine what the place will be like when both Alabny and Siena are preseason favorites to win their conferences? That day is right around the corner and I would expect a war infront of a sell-out crowd.

saints73 - that may be very true but remember this is a business first for the Pepsi, for Siena and for UA.

Keep the game at the Pepsi but one year let Siena have it as a true home game and the following year have UA as the true home team.

This way each team profits from the game.

Right now in my opinion it's a onesided deal and up to this point (to be honest deservingly so) but now that the gap has closed and UA wants to improve its status it must consider how every game benefits their program as does Siena.

I agree that the UAlbany-Siena games should be played at the RACC because there are simply too many fans who want to see the game who cannot fit in another facility in the Capital District area.

There are two unreasonable aspects of the current setup for me:

(1) Every time the two teams play, it is a home game for Siena. This situation needs to be rectified. UAlbany has matured enough for the game to be a more even deal. Arguments aboout who the better team is and which team draws more fans are irrelevant. Each team currently plays in a conference where each team plays the opponent in home-and-away matchups during the season, regardless of current or past record or attendance. Even OOC teams in a multi-year contract play a much more even home-and-away schedule. The lone exception to multi-year matchups where one teams gets far more home games is when a team is being initiated into Division I ranks and needs to schedule some games. Our situation no longer fits that mold.

(2) I had to pay $17 for a cramped seat at the Pepsi where I was relegated to a corner. Most other UAlbany fans were also seated in the same fashion. Analogous to a football stadium, my seat wasn't even located between the yard markers. It was outside the zone. I pay $7 for a prime seat at the RACC. Dane Pound, you are very correct on this point. I had a relatively decent seat when Syracuse came to town in the one game we played at the Pepsi. The two schools should alternate seating arrangements through the years.

I believe the upcoming year is the final year in the current contract. It needs to be modified.

Edited by olddog71

I just think we ought to alternate true home-and-home and play every other year in the RACC. Sure not everyone could make it, but not everyone could make the AE final this year and wasn't that a nice pasting of another green and gold team?

The die-hard season ticket holders get their good seats, the students camp out, and the general public dirtbags like myself line up Tuesday morning for tickets. Sound familiar? Just don't seat us dirtbags next to Siena fans...we could probably sell them fewer tickets than we had to allocate to Vermont anyway. I think UA may eventually have the leverage to demand games at the RACC every other year, if they want to.

TW3 could pay for TV rights, though I don't know if that would make UA as much money as being the "home" team in the Pepsi. College games in city arenas are sort of a pet peave of mine. Like some other posters, I far prefer campus venues so the fewer games at the Pepsi, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Peace out,

S$

The best analogy I can see, is that when the Jets host the Giants at Giants Stadium, the Giants fans (who are almost as old as 'aints fans) don't sit on the 50-yard line.

I'd even be willing for it to be a true neutral-court game every year, with each school selling seats on one side of the building, and some equitable split of ticket revenue for seats not sold by the campus ticket offices.

I'm not trying to use the home deal as a means to walk away, I'm saying it's the bad deal lowers the value of the game. Think more Albany fans might come if they weren't forced to sit in nosebleed seats every year?

The exclusivity did exist in previous contracts, but may have been for only one day instead of two each side of a game, I'm not sure.

Actually, that is not a very good analogy. There is one fundamental difference; Giant Stadium is home to both the Jets and Giants, where as the Pepsi Arena is home to only the Saints.

That reason alone is why this game will never alternate home teams as long as it is played at the Pepsi. Playing at the RAAC is an option, but again, it is not a large enough venue for the game.

Actually, that is not a very good analogy.  There is one fundamental difference; Giant Stadium is home to both the Jets and Giants, where as the Pepsi Arena is home to only the Saints.

That reason alone is why this game will never alternate home teams as long as it is played at the Pepsi.  Playing at the RAAC is an option, but again, it is not a large enough venue for the game.

14086[/snapback]

Well there is another difference between the Giants/Jets vs Siena/Albany. It is that only 3 out of the 4 teams could sell out the home building for the mentioned rivalry game. In other words the Giants already sell out all tickets to the game to their ticket holders. So do the jets. So could Albany at their home as evidenced by the sellout of 2 big games last season. Only Siena needs help to fill their seats and since they need so much help filling the seats, I think it is fair to split the arena down the middle like you do for a bowl game. I am assuming even Siena fans who don't have a football team do know what a bowl game is.

As far as a building not being big enough for a rivalry game. That is a fact of life in many big rivalries. For example neither Duke or Carolina's arenas are big enough for their rivalry game.

Siena will NEVER be the visiting team at the Pepsi period. It is Siena’s home court

If Albany walks away from the Siena/Ualb game, well who can really blame them, they take a beating just about every year and will more then likely continue to get beat the next few years. My understanding is Albany gets to keep all the revenue from tickets they sell. Question to Albany season ticket holders is the Siena game part of your season ticket package?

So if I have this right, Albany gets to keep all revenue from its own ticket sales. You make it part of your season ticket package. You get a game where you can accommodate all your fans, You get tremendous local media coverage. You get a game where you don’t have to leave the city of Albany and yet despite all that it’s not enough for some of you? Lets hope your AD is smarter than some Dane fans. If Not no big deal, Siena will continue to play at the Pepsi and will continue to prosper. Albany will lose the privilege of playing in the Pepsi

If the MAAC challenge tournament goes through (and it looks like it will) the Siena Albany game will be Wed Nov 15th. Organizers are hopeful to have at least 1 Big East and A10 team. Get a team from the CAA and Mid American and you have the makings of a pretty good tournament. The Pepsi would host doubleheaders on the 18th and 19th, I would presume Albany would be in the opposite bracket from Siena on the weekend to try and balance out the crowds ( we’ll see if Albany can draw anyone to the Pepsi on their own, ) the tournament is a pretty good deal for the Danes, you get 3 of the 4 games without leaving the city of Albany, against what I hope is a dynamite field. Albany would get to play some combination of top teams from the MAAC, MAC , CAA, Big East and A10 throw in a top Patriot league and NEC team and it could be a lot of fun!! I think the key to the tournaments success is having some top teams

Actually, that is not a very good analogy.  There is one fundamental difference; Giant Stadium is home to both the Jets and Giants, where as the Pepsi Arena is home to only the Saints.

14086[/snapback]

What's your point? If Albany is the home team for Albany/Aints, the Arena is the home court for Albany for that day. Giants fans get no privileges for being Giants season-ticket holders at a Jets Game. And the Jets haven't always had enough season-ticket sales to sell out the entire stadium.

Question to Albany season ticket holders is the Siena game part of your season ticket package?

Of course not, although it's an extra-cost option. Why would long-time season ticket holders want to be shuffled off to the nosebleed seats? I'll expect it to be part of the complete package when I can get the same view as at my other home games.

Siena will NEVER be the visiting team at the Pepsi period. It is Siena’s home court

If Albany walks away from the Siena/Ualb game, well who can really blame them, they take a beating just about  every year and will more then likely continue to get beat the next few years.  My understanding is Albany gets to keep all the revenue from tickets they sell.  Question to Albany season ticket holders is the Siena game part of your season ticket package?

So if I have this right, Albany gets to keep all revenue from its own ticket sales. You make it part of your season ticket package. You get a game where you can accommodate all your fans, You get tremendous local media coverage. You get a game where you don’t have to leave the city of Albany and yet despite all that it’s not enough for some of you? Lets hope your AD is smarter than some Dane fans. If Not no big deal, Siena will continue to play at the Pepsi and will continue to prosper. Albany will lose the privilege of playing in the Pepsi

If the MAAC challenge tournament goes through (and it looks like it will) the Siena Albany game will be Wed Nov 15th.  Organizers are hopeful to have at least 1 Big East and A10 team.  Get a team from the CAA and Mid American and you have the makings of a pretty good tournament.  The Pepsi would host doubleheaders on the 18th and 19th, I would presume  Albany would be in the opposite bracket from Siena on the weekend to try and balance out the crowds (  we’ll see if Albany can draw anyone to the Pepsi on their own, )  the tournament is a pretty good deal for the Danes, you get 3 of the 4 games without leaving the city of Albany, against  what I hope  is a dynamite field.  Albany would get to play some combination of top teams from the MAAC, MAC , CAA,  Big East and A10 throw in a top Patriot  league  and NEC team  and it could be a lot of fun!!  I think the key to the tournaments success is having some top teams

14094[/snapback]

Same old garbage from Tony.

1) The to be renamed arena is NOT Siena's home court. It is rented from the county of Albany since Siena is TOO LAME to actually have a home court like most colleges and universities. Siena's rights end at whatever the county agrees to. Again is it any surprise that no major corporation wants to pay money to name an arena that either Siena or the River Rats are the primary tenant.

2) The Giants have been visitors at a stadium named after them. Surely Siena/Albany could be a neutral court game like a bowl game in a few years when Albany's support passes Siena's. That may not take all that long.

3) You got one thing right. Obviously the key to the success of the tournament is to have some top teams since Siena rarely come close to filling the building on their own.

4)In spite of the fact that Tony knows nothing about Albany's returning players and in coming class he makes predictions about results. Hope you are not betting the rent money on Siena.

My 2 cents:

I have no problem with UA wearing home whites and even profitting more financially as a "home" team but you're not going to get Siena season tix holders to be visitors in the Pepsi. You guys have pointed to the Syracuse game a few times. A more correct analogy would be to have UA being the home team at the Dome. Ridiculous...sure. Just as much as having Siena being the visitor at the Pepsi. Hey, SU plays Cornell every year. Do you think the Red have told SU they want to be the home team? I doubt it.

Also, it's funny to see how for so long UA fans were all about calling Siena chicken for not signing up to play the game. Now you're talking about walking away. Personally I like the game but if you guys walk away that's fine by me. Then Siena isn't the "bad guy". Hey, Siena is willing to play the games - if UA doesn't think it is a good deal then bag it. We'll both be able to find other teams to fill the schedule. UA will fill it with a game that'll draw a max 4K or so at the RACC. Siena will fill it with a game that will draw a minimum of 5K and a max of 10-12K at the Pepsi.

Oh - I think Tony is underestimating UA for next year. I personally feel the big kid you guys recruited will be an impact player and I think you'll be as good or maybe a bit better than last year.

Edited by SienaGlen

I would take Siena Tony's predictions with a grain of salt. Here are just a couple predictions from the end of the season just concluded.

(1) He predicted that VCU would "wipe the floor" with UAlbany. That didn't happen.

(2) He made a similar opinion about the UConn game. Same result.

We'll see what happens with his assertion that Siena will "never" cede its claim to be the home team at the Pepsi. "Never" is a very long time.

His insistence that UAlbany gets such a great deal at the Pepsi is simply laughable. He continues to show a basic lack of understanding for the contract Siena has with the Pepsi and how college teams across the country relate to each other. Therefore he reveals a lack of respect and fairness to his crosstown rival. He still doesn't understand why his arrogance makes UAlbany fans dislike his team.

Hey Bob are you that dumb or are you just pretending to be that stupid?

1)Well Bob you do know that Siena has the 4500 seat ARC , but is too small to accommodate Siena’s fan. As for the Pepsi, Siena negotiated a contract that makes Siena the primary college basketball tenant. .. Read the press release yourself genius. Albany will not host Siena at the pepsi under the terms of that contract..

2)Siena will never be the visitors at the Pepsi, what part of that don’t you understand? Bob how many different ways can I say that? if Albany walks away no big whoop. We will play someone else

3)Siena’s average attendance is normally double that of Albany and good chance it’s triple that of Albany this year (not sure what your point is Bob other than to make stupid comments)

4)I’m very aware of what Albany has coming in recruit wise. I’ll go slow for you Bob since you apparently are not very bright. Siena beat Albany last year, Albany will not be as good next season, at best will be the same. Siena will be vastly improved, more than likely a top 100 team, I don’t believe in its history as a d1 program that Albany has EVER even beaten a team in the top 150, let alone a top 100 team, let me repeat that, Albany had no wins last year against teams in the top half of Division 1 , your best win was over a team ranked 187, in fact you’re only win over a top 200 opponent. Siena will be favored in the contest and should win the game .. so you talk smack all you want Bob