UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attandance

SienaGlen,

Your analogy of the Pepsi and the Dome, quite frankly, is ridiculous. Thanks for the rest of your post; it shows us respect.

The Dome, though partially built with State money, is on Syracuse's campus. It is their home venue.

The Pepsi plays host to a lot more events in the course of a year than Siena basketball games.

When Syracuse and Cornell play each other, Cornell gets to be the home team once in a while.

In the last five years, Siena has always been the host team. This situation is UNREASONABLE. I don't know if this situation is seen anywhere else in the USA.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Siena Tony's predictions with a grain of salt. Here are just a couple predictions from the end of the season just concluded.

(1) He predicted that VCU would "wipe the floor" with UAlbany. That didn't happen.

(2) He made a similar opinion about the UConn game. Same result.

How many did you win olddog?  I‘ll answer that none

We'll see what happens with his assertion that Siena will "never" cede its claim to be the home team at the Pepsi. "Never" is a very long time.

Well  you won't be seeing it before the end of this contract .. 2010 I belive

His insistence that UAlbany gets such a great deal at the Pepsi is simply laughable. He continues to show a basic lack of understanding for the contract Siena has with the Pepsi and how college teams across the country relate to each other. Therefore he reveals a lack of respect and fairness to his crosstown rival. He still doesn't understand why his arrogance makes UAlbany fans dislike his team.

14100[/snapback]

I don't think arrogance makes Albany fans dislike Siena, I think Albany fans have a case of penis envy when it comes to Siena and hey that’s understandable

I understand a contract, evidently you have trouble understanding a contract, do yourself a favor and read the press release from the Pepsi arena, Siena is not going to give up its advantage at the Pepsi by letting Albany host the Siena game, you guys are drinking kool aid

I don't think arrogance  makes Albany fans dislike Siena,  I think Albany fans have a case of penis envy when it comes to Siena and hey that’s understandable

I understand a contract, evidently you have trouble understanding a contract, do yourself a favor and read the press release from the Pepsi arena,  Siena is not going to give up its advantage at the Pepsi by letting Albany host the Siena game, you guys are drinking kool aid

14103[/snapback]

Wow, I haven't heard something that childish since like 3rd grade..wait, maybe 4th...no, I was right the first time, it was 3rd.

I really have no desire to have the Danes as the "home" team at the Pepsi/fill in the blank Arena. That's why the game should alternate between the Coca Cola Arena and the RACC...just like any other normal deal between two mid-majors.

My 2 cents:

You guys have pointed to the Syracuse game a few times.  A more correct analogy would be to have UA being the home team at the Dome.  Ridiculous...sure.  Just as much as having Siena being the visitor at the Pepsi. 

14099[/snapback]

Your're kidding, right? UAlbany isn't in the same city as the Carrier dome. UAlbany IS in the same city as the Pepsi Arena---oh yeah, and Siena isn't. Also the Carrier Dome is on the Syracuse campus, and last I checked the Pepsi Arena isn't in on your cute campus in Loudonville.

What's the location of the facility have to do with anything? That's where Siena plays ALL of it's home games. That means it is our HOME COURT. Period.

This is the choice - play the game at the Pepsi or no game. Again, I'm OK with an equitable distribution of money, alternating home whites, etc. If that's not good enough then we shouldn't play. It doesn't make sense to play in the RACC (for Siena) and it really would be a politcal faux pas for D'Arg to schedule the game and NOT include it with our season tix.

Hey, you guys are occassionally spouting off about how much greater your resource pool is than Siena's. Fine. Build your own arena that will support the attendance. Personally I think it could be a "if you build it they will come" situation. Before any more comments are made about Albany County Tax payers supporting the bill for Siena I think you should take pause...isn't ALL of UA supported by all of the NY tax payers?

PS: I believe lots of schools use public facilities such as the Pepsi for their home court. It isn't like we get this for free. Siena does pay a rental fee and I'm sure the Pepsi makes out pretty well on concessions.

isn't ALL of UA supported by all of the NY tax payers? 

14108[/snapback]

Nope..tuition, fees, etc. In fact, using most recent data (2004), state appropriations made up only 27.2% of All Funds for UAlbany.

I'm sure your high-class Aints education taught you somewhere to actually research before you make blanket statements.

I don't have particularly strong feelings about this but hasn't Siena already been the visiting team at the Pepsi Arena on several occasions? Everytime the MAAC Championship is held there it's supposed to be a neutral court. When the Saints play a higher seed in the tourney they are technically the visitors. I have no idea how this affects the season-ticket holders seating if at all.

I also wanted to commend both sides in this discussion for being relatively insult-free.

What's the location of the facility have to do with anything? 

14108[/snapback]

Because you compared Albany at Syracuse to Albany at the Pepsi Arena. Siena parallelling itself to Syracuse shows how unrealistic your view of yourself in the college basketball world is.

14108[/snapback]

Because you compared Albany at Syracuse to Albany at the Pepsi Arena. Siena parallelling itself to Syracuse shows how unrealistic your view of yourself in the college basketball world is.

14111[/snapback]

Hold on there. You guys brought up the SU analogy saying that you got a home game and therefore Siena should do it. My issue with what was said was that while you got a home game it wasn't in SU's facility. You're asking for a home game in Siena's facility. Granted Siena doesn't own it but it is our home court. In no other way was I paralleling Siena to SU.

Out of curiosity what was I unrealistic about?

Hey Bob are you that dumb or are you just pretending to be that stupid?

1)Well Bob you do know that Siena has the 4500 seat ARC , but is too small to accommodate Siena’s fan.  As for the Pepsi, Siena negotiated a contract that makes Siena the primary college basketball tenant.  .. Read the press release yourself genius.  Albany will not host Siena at the pepsi under the terms of that contract..

2)Siena will never be the visitors at the Pepsi, what part of that don’t you understand? Bob how many different ways can I say that?  if Albany walks away no big whoop. We will play someone else

3)Siena’s average attendance is normally double that of Albany and good chance it’s triple that of Albany this year (not sure what your point is Bob other than to make stupid comments)

4)I’m very aware of what Albany has coming in recruit wise.  I’ll go slow for you Bob since you apparently are not very bright. Siena beat Albany last year, Albany  will not be as good next season,  at best will be the same. Siena will be vastly improved,  more than likely a top 100 team,  I don’t believe in its history as a d1 program that Albany has EVER even beaten a team in the top 150, let alone a top 100 team,  let me repeat that, Albany had no wins last year against teams in the top half of Division 1 , your best win was over a team ranked 187, in fact you’re only win over a top 200 opponent.  Siena will be favored in the contest and should win the game .. so you talk smack all you want Bob

14101[/snapback]

You're asking for a home game in Siena's facility.  

14116[/snapback]

Come to the RACC.

14117[/snapback]

OK - and we'd get seats in your season ticket section? No, why not? Because it is silly to ask that of the home team!

There's nothing in it for Siena to play at the RACC. Why would we do that? If roles were reversed would you advocate the UA do that? Nope. We wouldn't suggest the game be played at the ARC either. What's so hard about this logic?

Here is my commentary on this string...

I think that Siena Tony has a wheel of 5 reasons why he thinks Siena is better then UA, and in every post he spins the wheel and that is what he types....COME UP WITH SOME NEW MATERIAL.

I couldnt help but sit back and laugh at some of the non-sensical BS coming from the Siena fans...."penis envy"??? Come on, a comment like that is like basically saying, "you win, i have nothing else of any quailty to say so i will just say what i am always thinking about" (maybe there are some deeper personal issues that need to be sorted out here)

For those that understand business I am sorry that I need to explain this but our friends to the north that work on their farms and barter their wheat for season tickets dont seem to understand the basic concepts. A contract is generally assumed that both parties are giving something of value up for something in return. In this case UA gave up the rights to home games for exposure and Siena in return accepted playing what was a lower level team (Tony please keep your predictions to yourself, we all know what you think of next years game abou 10 times over) for increased home team revenues.

The debate now is not over the current contract, it is about the future contract and being that those circumstances no longer exist to keep the same contract in place would be "bad for business."

For further lessons in business feel free to contact me at daneguy04@sss.biteme!!!

14108[/snapback]

14111[/snapback]

Hold on there. You guys brought up the SU analogy saying that you got a home game and therefore Siena should do it. My issue with what was said was that while you got a home game it wasn't in SU's facility. You're asking for a home game in Siena's facility. Granted Siena doesn't own it but it is our home court. In no other way was I paralleling Siena to SU.

Out of curiosity what was I unrealistic about?

14116[/snapback]

We got a home game with Syracuse, but it wasn't at the RACC, was it? I never argued to get a home game in the other team's arena 150 miles away, but it's not unrealistic to get a home game in a rented arena in the same city that our university's in (and your little college isn't). Syracuse gets 15-25,000 at their place, Siena's never averaged a half-full house at the Pepsi - to say those situations are the same is ridiculous.

If Albany paid the same rental fee for the Pepsi, why shouldn't we be the home team?

If Albany plays three games at the Pepsi in this projected tournament, does that make it our home court? How many games must you play at a facility before it's designated your home? I'm pretty sure there's an NCAA ruling about this, regarding home/neutral courts for tournaments.

Actually, you are correct, that is why this year Villanova did not use their normal home arena for most of the games beacuse it was being used for the NCAA's and they would not have been allowed to play in that region because their "home court for the season" was being used in the tourney. In stead they played on campus and other venues around the area. Sorry but I am not sure of the actual number of games.