UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena tourney at the Pepsi

That’s assuming the tournament has quality teams.  A few wins over top 150 programs could do wonders for Ualb  NCAA seed considerations. 

I'm not sure: but I think that a win on the road counts more for tournament considerations than a win at home - which the TUC tournament might be considered. Any one know anything about this?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a MAAC tournament, that includes Iona and Manhattan in the mix...as well as Marist...all of whom have gained some, if not tons,  respect recently. However, none of them really have arenas available to them. Rider has one...but couldn't even fill it for the MAAC tournament for the games they played. Niagara and Canisius has whatever the arena in Buffalo is called this week. Fairfield has Bridgeport...lots of schools in CT who might

bring in some students and alums. Marist students/alums will travel to Albany...it's been proven in the past...as will Iona. So, it leaves the Pepsi/TUC open for other years as well...and if they don't use the Siena/Albany game for the tournament...that's 2 out of 4 years...and one for Marist.

Now, what this depends on for you guys...how many fans in the Albany area are simply Siena or Albany fans, and how many are down and dirty college hoops fan. The sweet sixteen sure filled the place. So the secret is to make this a big tournament. The preseason NIT sells pretty good at the garden, and some of those games are pretty ho-hum. If I were close enough...I would buy lifetime tickets to that tournament.

Another issue is being wary that the NCAA doesn't let this tournament stuff get out of hand...and become meaningless, then they all go bankrupt...except maybe all the sports networks that are thriving on them.

14429[/snapback]

WOW...for someone who didnt even know UA had a team at DI, you have alot of basketball knowledge, especially of MAAC teams.

HELLO SOUP....how are you today.

If it's a MAAC tournament, that includes Iona and Manhattan in the mix...as well as Marist...all of whom have gained some, if not tons,  respect recently. However, none of them really have arenas available to them. Rider has one...but couldn't even fill it for the MAAC tournament for the games they played. Niagara and Canisius has whatever the arena in Buffalo is called this week. Fairfield has Bridgeport...lots of schools in CT who might

bring in some students and alums. Marist students/alums will travel to Albany...it's been proven in the past...as will Iona. So, it leaves the Pepsi/TUC open for other years as well...and if they don't use the Siena/Albany game for the tournament...that's 2 out of 4 years...and one for Marist.

Now, what this depends on for you guys...how many fans in the Albany area are simply Siena or Albany fans, and how many are down and dirty college hoops fan. The sweet sixteen sure filled the place. So the secret is to make this a big tournament. The preseason NIT sells pretty good at the garden, and some of those games are pretty ho-hum. If I were close enough...I would buy lifetime tickets to that tournament.

Another issue is being wary that the NCAA doesn't let this tournament stuff get out of hand...and become meaningless, then they all go bankrupt...except maybe all the sports networks that are thriving on them.

14429[/snapback]

To be honest, I don’t mind this tournament; we don’t have much to lose and potentially allot to gain playing in it once ever 4 or 5 years. I just hope they market the hell out of it and get some people out there. Obviously that will all depend on the quality of the teams. I plan on being probably at every game, but time will show. I like to watch basketball and if decent teams are involved I’m there!

Since UVM was a 13 seed the year before, I wouldn't worry about being permanently assigned a 16; Tony should give his oh-so-valuable advice to his own team on how to avoid the PIG - whenever they ever get in again.

Since UVM was a 13 seed the year before, I wouldn't worry about being permanently assigned a 16; Tony should give his oh-so-valuable advice to his own team on how to avoid the PIG - whenever they ever get in again.

14435[/snapback]

I’m not trying to give you guys a hard time, and if every post I make I’m going to get juvenile attacks, I’ll refrain from posting on this site ( at least until two weeks before the game;-)

If you don’t want to play in the tournament then fine. I think the tournament would be better with Albany involved. But it is your coaches choice and if he decides to go I hope Albany fans support him

Nobody is saying Albany will always get a 16, but getting a higher seed doesn’t happen by accident, you have to schedule better or have a tougher league or preferable a combination of both. Those are the cold hard facts

As for Vermont and a 13 seed, Ok the Cats that year had wins over teams ranked 32,42 and 44 , also had quality losses ( less than 10 points) to teams ranked 33,10 and 102. That’s how Vermont got a 13 seed. As good as that Vermont team was do you think they get a first round win with a 16 seed? No way

Albany took a big step forward last season. To continue moving forward eventually Albany will have to upgrade the schedule, I think we can all agree on that correct?

As for Siena avoiding the PIG, What does this have to do with the subject matter of Ualb in the exempt tournament ? Why do all you Albany fans feel compelled to put a wise crack in your response?

I’ll l address the issue- I agree it sucked that Siena was in the PIG,, as long as we don’t have Lanier I think we will be all right.

I’m all for scheduling as tough as you can, as long as you have a reasonable chance of a win. One or at max two guarantee games aren’t a bad thing, but you really don’t want any more of that. The more top 150 teams you can get into your home area the more chances you have for a victory. And for Albany it’s a better bump than Siena, since Siena is the home team they won’t get as big a RPI push as Albany will. Unless you play more than 3 games in a arena as the home team it is considered a neutral site game. We all know Albany playing anyone other than Siena in the Pepsi and Albany will enjoy a tremendous home court support . And in the end as fans don’t we want to see our teams play the best competition they can and still reasonably compete? Am I wrong thinking this way?

Wow Dane 96. You took the words right out of my mouth,

Regarding the used car saleman and his suggestion we need to "upgrade" our schedule, I guess he considers Florida and UCLA chump change.

I have heard two reasons for us not participating in the (i'll assume Tony is correct here) the MAAC/ Pepsiarena tournament. One is that we already have a game scheduled for Friday, November 17. Two is that there is some question as to whether we can be in both this exempt tournament and also the Bracketbuster, and that we are waiting to see if we'll get invited to the 2007 Bracketbuster . This second point seemed questionable to me as Siena apparantly thinks it is in both the exempt tournament and the Bracketbuster. I do know that Coach McCaffrey was not happy about having to play a non-league, non-televised game in late February last year. I'd appreciate any insights on these points.

I haven't yet seen any discussion of the financial arrangements for the teams that participate, so I am reserving judgement until all of the details are on the table. It seems so far that the organizers are riding by the seat of their pants.

]

"WOW...for someone who didnt even know UA had a team at DI, you have alot of basketball knowledge, especially of MAAC teams."

I knew that UA had a team, was aware when they made D1, just didn't know much about the team or follow it very much. Once in a while I would notice results in the paper. I was at SUNYA during the Margison-Sauers era...road tripped to Lemoyne for a tournament game (Was it ECAC? NIT?) in '69. Have seen Doc around over the years. I follow college basketball pretty closely...just didn't have a lot of allegiance to Albany...for no specific reasons other than time and distance.

And the great number of other teams I have become involved with.

And I do know a lot about MAAC Bball...it's a good conference in terms of intra conference parity...and the games are a lot of fun. Sat through every game of the tournament about 5 years ago at the Pepsi...men's and women's.

I sat in my living room the night of the UConn game turning blue from holding my breath...I wanted the team to win so much, and it's the closest I can recall a 16 seed pushing the limit. But UConn does that to fans all the time...the top teams can do that, the have the resources, the strength, the experience (institutional memory is such a large factor) to dig in at the end when the "upstarts" have run out of legs.

Enough credentials? My other post...wasn't just about complaining...it was about knowing bball, the rules, and what I want to see from the athletes...hey, from all the students. I'm glad I found this forum and would like to become a part of it...seems like there's a lot of basketball knowledge here...so lets drop the other post considerations and go forward from here.

megowen70 Welcome.

UA opened a lot of eyes against UConn. Hopefully we will be welcoming many more like you in the coming year.

Things have been abit ugly here the last few weeks. Anything with Siena in the subject has caused a lot of backlash.

Hope you can make it to some games this year home or away. Also the games are streamed on the internet at FoxSports 980.

There is also a great American East community at the link at the top of the page. Things are slow now but sure to pick up in the coming months

Thank you, and Great Dane as well. I am excited to see basketball talk as busy as this at this time of the year. Most of the other boards fall away...and don't cover other sports much at all. Thank God for the Mets...or I would have nothing to do between March and Midnight.

I'll admit there are some good elements to the tourney as described but there also have been no specifics. As an Albany fan, I'm skeptical about any Siena proposal just as I'm sure they would be if we invited them to join us in some time of tournament.

The thing I guess I don't understand about the discussion is that teams like UMass are being mentioned. I don't see what benefit it would have for a team like that. Under the proposed format as I understand it they would get a home game, a road game and then two at the Pepsi. Guessing that they would likely play Siena and Albany in Albany that would be essentially two road games for them. I don't see what's in it for them and why they would buy in. Maybe there's something I'm missing.