UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

A couple more things about the recruits from last night.

Gifford has grown from the last time he's been measured. He's been listed at 6'9 or 6'10 but is a legit 6'11 in bare feet. He and Yocum have begun weight programs for next year already. Coach Brown said he thought Giffords numbers were lower than they might have been because of the lack of a shot clock in Missouri high school basketball.

Really seemed impressed with the athletism of Carl Ross. I believe he said he would probably be the most athletic player on the roster next year.

As we've read Knight was described as a terrific shooter and bright player. In fact three of the incoming players (I can't remember exactly which three-I think Gifford, Anderson and Yocum maybe) are exceptional students.

Yocum is very aggressive around the basket. Catches it and dunks it-hopefully we see a lot of that.

Anderson sounds like a more offensive-minded Lillis. Might be tough for him to get a lot of time considering there are six upper-class perimiter players next year.

There was a recruit present from Chicago for the 07 class. Looked like a guard or small forward and was sitting with Covington.

Anything is possible but it's hard to imagine a player described as a Lillis type but a bit more offensive minded would be red shirted. Of course anything can happen.

I was glad to hear that Gifford may still be growing. If he's 6'11" in his bare feet he's a "Big Boy". It was also good to hear that Coach Brown made some flattering comments about him at last night's Banquet.

Though the Danes lost alot to graduation it appears the program has finally reached a level that they will be very competitive every year.

• 2 weeks later...

From Hoopscoop.......

Anderson, who was the most versatile player and second leading scorer on a team that featured 6'8 Jr Delvon Roe from Lakewood (St. Edward) OH, and Ross, who was a First Team All Bay Seven Conference Selection, as well as the Defensive Player-of-the-Year in the league, round an excellent recruiting class for Albany.  If you will recall, Great Danes head coach Will Brown already had landed 6'11 Brett Guilford from Rock Bridge (H.S.) MO and 6'8 Mike Yokum from Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA, who promise to be two of the best big men in the league next year, and 6'3 Michael Knight from St. Petersburg (JC) FL, who was the leading 3-pointer with 91 treys in the Florida junior college ranks this past season.  Speaking of Albany, they also got a verbal commitment a week ago from 6'4 Howard Little from Olympia Fields (Rich Central) IL, who is versatile enough to beat you with outside shooting and ability to the get to the basket.  However, they will have to wait a year to get this one, because Little is supposed to go the prep school route to Simi Valley (Stoneridge Prep) CA next year and, as a result, he gives Albany a head start on the Class of 2007.

From Hoopscoop.......

Anderson, who was the most versatile player and second leading scorer on a team that featured 6'8 Jr Delvon Roe from Lakewood (St. Edward) OH, and Ross, who was a First Team All Bay Seven Conference Selection, as well as the Defensive Player-of-the-Year in the league, round an excellent recruiting class for Albany.  If you will recall, Great Danes head coach Will Brown already had landed 6'11 Brett Guilford from Rock Bridge (H.S.) MO and 6'8 Mike Yokum from Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA, who promise to be two of the best big men in the league next year, and 6'3 Michael Knight from St. Petersburg (JC) FL, who was the leading 3-pointer with 91 treys in the Florida junior college ranks this past season.  Speaking of Albany, they also got a verbal commitment a week ago from 6'4 Howard Little from Olympia Fields (Rich Central) IL, who is versatile enough to beat you with outside shooting and ability to the get to the basket.  However, they will have to wait a year to get this one, because Little is supposed to go the prep school route to Simi Valley (Stoneridge Prep) CA next year and, as a result, he gives Albany a head start on the Class of 2007.

14642[/snapback]

Patch,

Thank you for that, I'm so glad I already got my seasono tix. I can't wait for the season to start, this team should be awsome with Jamar and all the returning players, not to mention crazy deep at every position. As scary as it sounds I think this team will be as good as the one last season if not better. Obviously we can't know untill we see them play, but I'm so jazzed.....lets go already!

I know the merits of hoopscoop have been debated often on this and other forums. For example the average ranking of our recruits is 2.6 but should be 2.8. It's still fun to look at their class rankings of recruits and see Albany with the 69th best recruiting class in the country.

By the ranking they really seem to like Carl Ross and Michael Knight a lot. I read somewhere in one of the California papers they described Carl Ross as a "human highlight film." I can't recall a previous Albany recruit who was described in those terms although Jamar is now. Not that I'm comparing the two.

Here's the list of some teams of interest from hoopscoops rankings. Note Siena's ranking doesn't include Corey Magee who signed with Canisius but is coming to Siena so they should be higher:

28. STONY BROOK (22 Points)..........8 Recruits..........2.8 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(4) Nick Carter, 6'0, 2G, Suffolk (JC) NY; (3) Riiny Ngot, 7'2, C, Calgary (Father Lacombe) AB; (3) Kyle Wright, 6'5, 2G, Wolfeboro (Brewster (Academy) NH; (3) Chris Martin, 6'1, PG, Pittsfield (Maine Central Institute) ME; (3) Emanuel Neto, 6'9, C, San Jacinto (JC) TX; (2) Marcus Robinson, 6'3, WF, Pittsburgh (Allderdice) PA; (2) Eddie Castellanos, 6'1, PG, Hoboken (H.S.) NJ, (2) Rio Pitt, 6'8, PF, Centereach (Our Savior New American) NY.

69. ALBANY (14 Points)..........5 Recruits..........2.6 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Brett Gifford, 6'11, C, Rock Bridge (H.S.) MO; (3) Mike Yocum, 6'8, C, Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA; (3) Carl Ross, 6'4, 2G, San Joaquin Delta (JC) CA; (3) Michael Knight, 6'3, 2G, St. Petersburg (JC) FL; (2) Reid Anderson, 6'5, 2G, Lakewood (St. Edwards) OH.

115. NEW HAMPSHIRE (10 Points)..........5 Recruits..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(2) Dan McGeary, 6'1, 2G, Northfield (Northfield-Mt. Hermon) MA; (2) Radar Onguetou, 6'5, PF, New Hampton (Prep) NH; (2) Seth Price , 6'8, PF, Grove City (H.S.) OH, (2) Jude Roybeal, 5'11, PG, Chochise (J.C.) AZ; (2) Sam Harrick, 6'11, C, Duxbury (H.S.) MA.

127. SIENA (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Metro Atlantic Conference..........(3) Edwin Ubiles, 6'6, WF, Oakdale (St. Thomas More) CT; (2) James Carr, 6'10, C, Bronx (Wings) NY; (2) Alex Franklin, 6'5, WF, Reading (Central Catholic) PA; (2) Ronald Moore, 6'0, PG, Plymouth Meeting (Plymouth Whitemarsh) PA.

127. VERMONT (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Joe Trapani, 6'8, PF, Madison (Daniel Hand) CT; (2) Kyle Robbins, 6'11, C, Portland (Cheverus) OR; (2) Nick Vier, 6'1, PG, Oradell (Bergen Catholic) NJ; (2) Marqus Blakely, 6'4, 2G, Metuchen (H.S.) NJ.

147. NORTHEASTERN (8 Points)..........3 Recruits..........2.7 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Colonial Athletic Conference..........(3) Baptiste Bataille, 5'10, PG, Stockbridge (Community Christian) GA; (3) Emmanuel Adako, 6'8, C, Winchendon (School) MA; (2) Eugene Spates, 6'7, PF, Collin County (JC) TX.

156. HARTFORD (8 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(2) Artus Papans, 6'5, 2G, Broward (JC) FL; (2) Joe Zeglinksi, 6'0, PG, Philadelphia (Ryan) PA; (2) Cornelius Vines, 6'2, 2G, Syracuse (Henninger) NY; (2) Jarid Famous, 6'9, C, New Rochelle (Blessed Sacrament) NY.

199. MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY (5 Points)..........2 Recruits..........2.5 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Ryan Washington, 6'7, PF, Woodstock (Massanutten Military) VA; (2) Justin Fry, 6'10, C, Elliottsburg (West Perry) PA.

199. VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH (5 Points)..........2 Recruits..........2.5 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Colonial Athletic Association.........(3) James Eversley, 6'6, WF, Chatham (Hargrave Military) VA; (2) Franck Ndango, 6'7, WF, Montverde (Academy) FL.

I know the merits of hoopscoop have been debated often on this and other forums. For example the average ranking of our recruits is 2.6 but should be 2.8. It's still fun to look at their class rankings of recruits and see Albany with the 69th best recruiting class in the country.

By the ranking they really seem to like Carl Ross and Michael Knight a lot. I read somewhere in one of the California papers they described Carl Ross as a "human highlight film." I can't recall a previous Albany recruit who was described in those terms although Jamar is now. Not that I'm comparing the two.

Here's the list of some teams of interest from hoopscoops rankings. Note Siena's ranking doesn't include Corey Magee who signed with Canisius but is coming to Siena so they should be higher:

28.    STONY BROOK (22 Points)..........8 Recruits..........2.8 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(4) Nick Carter, 6'0, 2G, Suffolk (JC) NY; (3) Riiny Ngot, 7'2, C, Calgary (Father Lacombe) AB; (3) Kyle Wright, 6'5, 2G, Wolfeboro (Brewster (Academy) NH; (3) Chris Martin, 6'1, PG, Pittsfield (Maine Central Institute) ME; (3) Emanuel Neto, 6'9, C, San Jacinto (JC) TX; (2) Marcus Robinson, 6'3, WF, Pittsburgh (Allderdice) PA; (2) Eddie Castellanos, 6'1, PG, Hoboken (H.S.) NJ, (2) Rio Pitt, 6'8, PF, Centereach (Our Savior New American) NY. 

69.    ALBANY (14 Points)..........5 Recruits..........2.6 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Brett Gifford, 6'11, C, Rock Bridge (H.S.) MO; (3) Mike Yocum, 6'8, C, Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA; (3) Carl Ross, 6'4, 2G, San Joaquin Delta (JC) CA; (3) Michael Knight, 6'3, 2G, St. Petersburg (JC) FL; (2) Reid Anderson, 6'5, 2G, Lakewood (St. Edwards) OH.

115.    NEW HAMPSHIRE (10 Points)..........5 Recruits..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(2) Dan McGeary, 6'1, 2G, Northfield (Northfield-Mt. Hermon) MA; (2) Radar Onguetou, 6'5, PF, New Hampton (Prep) NH; (2) Seth Price , 6'8, PF, Grove City (H.S.) OH, (2) Jude Roybeal, 5'11, PG, Chochise (J.C.) AZ; (2) Sam Harrick, 6'11, C, Duxbury (H.S.) MA.

127.    SIENA (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Metro Atlantic Conference..........(3) Edwin Ubiles, 6'6, WF, Oakdale (St. Thomas More) CT; (2) James Carr, 6'10, C, Bronx (Wings) NY; (2) Alex Franklin, 6'5, WF, Reading (Central Catholic) PA; (2) Ronald Moore, 6'0, PG, Plymouth Meeting (Plymouth Whitemarsh) PA. 

127.    VERMONT (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Joe Trapani, 6'8, PF, Madison (Daniel Hand) CT; (2) Kyle Robbins, 6'11, C, Portland (Cheverus) OR; (2) Nick Vier, 6'1, PG, Oradell (Bergen Catholic) NJ; (2) Marqus Blakely, 6'4, 2G, Metuchen (H.S.) NJ. 

147.    NORTHEASTERN (8 Points)..........3 Recruits..........2.7 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Colonial Athletic Conference..........(3) Baptiste Bataille, 5'10, PG, Stockbridge (Community Christian) GA; (3) Emmanuel Adako, 6'8, C, Winchendon (School) MA; (2) Eugene Spates, 6'7, PF, Collin County (JC) TX. 

156.    HARTFORD  (8 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(2) Artus Papans, 6'5, 2G, Broward (JC) FL; (2) Joe Zeglinksi, 6'0, PG, Philadelphia (Ryan) PA; (2) Cornelius Vines, 6'2, 2G, Syracuse (Henninger) NY; (2) Jarid Famous, 6'9, C, New Rochelle (Blessed Sacrament) NY.

199.    MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY  (5 Points)..........2 Recruits..........2.5 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Ryan Washington, 6'7, PF, Woodstock (Massanutten Military) VA; (2) Justin Fry, 6'10, C, Elliottsburg (West Perry) PA. 

199.    VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH (5 Points)..........2 Recruits..........2.5 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Colonial Athletic Association.........(3) James Eversley, 6'6, WF, Chatham (Hargrave Military) VA; (2) Franck Ndango, 6'7, WF, Montverde (Academy) FL.

14651[/snapback]

THAT HAS TO BE THE DUMBEST RANKING SYSTEM OF ALL TIME. TOTAL POINTS FOR ALL RECRUITS? WHY NOT RANK BY AVERAGE?

A few notes from Hoopscoop on Howard Little due to arrive in 2007....

Arizona Cactus Classic in Tucson, AZ...........Also playing well during the course of the weekend were 6'7 Jr Tyrone Shelley from San Diego (Crawford) CA, 6'7 Jr Gary Johnson from Houston (Aldine) TX, 5'10 Jr Jai Lucas from Houston (Bellaire) TX, 6'8 Jr Brandon McGee from Chicago (Crane) IL, 6'3 Seketoure Henry from Lenoir (Patterson School) NC, 6'8 Soph Troy Gillenwater from Los Angeles (Fremont) CA, 6'4 Jr Steven Gray from Port Hadlock (Bainbridge) WA.  6'7 Jr Morgan Grim from Riverton (H.S.) UT, 6'7 Jr Brady Hurst from Katysville (Davis) UT, 6'9 Soph Ben Aird from Boundiful (H.S.) UT, 7'1 Jr Solomon Alibi from Montverde (Academy) FL, 5'9 Jr Aaron Johnson from Chicago (Hubbard) IL, 6'4 Howard Little from Olympia Fields (Rich Central) IL, 6'6 Jr Mike Singletary from Houston (Kingwood) TX, 6'4 Jr Kamyron Brown from Santa Ana (Mater Dei) CA, 6'7 Jr Morgan Grim from Riverton (H.S.) UT 6'7 Jr Brady Hurst from Katysville (Davis) UT, 6'9 Soph Ben Aird from Boundiful (H.S.) UT, 6'4 Jr Tyler Strong from South Jordan (Bingham) UT, 6'3 Jr Nate Mensah from Salt Lake City (West) UT, and 6'0 Jr Nick Martinwau from Kaysville (Davis) UT...............Little was one of the better 3-point shooters in the tournament.

It will be nice if he follows through as planned and signs with UA during the early signing period.

From Siena Tony's favorite Hoopscoop

126.    SIENA (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit

If you add Magee who should be rated a 3 - gives Siena 5 recuits for a total of 12points and a 2.4 avg.

12 points should move siena up to 85

70.    ALBANY (14 Points)..........5 Recruits..........2.6 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit

actually if you do the math 14 points 5 recruits = 2.8 Talent rating avg

Wasn't it Tony who stated with all Siena's inherent advantages UA would never be able to compete with them for recruits. I think we may be holding our own.

Of course don't put too much weight on what Hoopscoop says they do just about everything by hearsay.

No one knows what they're getting until the games start, not even UA.

On paper it seems we're doing ok!!!

. . . Wasn't it Tony who stated with all Siena's inherent advantages UA would never be able to compete with them for recruits. I think we may be holding our own. . . .

14755[/snapback]

I take Tony's prognostications about UAlbany with a grain of salt, and my diet restrictions don't allow for extra sodium.

I just remember how he predicted that VCU would "wipe the floor" with UAlbany and that we would be destroyed by UConn.

I'm just happy our team just went out and did its thing, particularly the last part of the season when it counts the most.

. . . Wasn't it Tony who stated with all Siena's inherent advantages UA would never be able to compete with them for recruits. I think we may be holding our own. . . .

14755[/snapback]

I take Tony's prognostications about UAlbany with a grain of salt, and my diet restrictions don't allow for extra sodium.

I just remember how he predicted that VCU would "wipe the floor" with UAlbany and that we would be destroyed by UConn.

I'm just happy our team just went out and did its thing, particularly the last part of the season when it counts the most.

14756[/snapback]

Read the rule carefully fella's; Jamar must be headed to GRADUATE school to transfer in a fifth year. He, as I understand, did not graduate this year.

The rule does not affect him.

14755[/snapback]

14756[/snapback]

Read the rule carefully fella's; Jamar must be headed to GRADUATE school to transfer in a fifth year. He, as I understand, did not graduate this year.

The rule does not affect him.

14761[/snapback]

Yeah, I was just assuming he had graduated without really confirming that. Sorry to get everyone all excited over nothing. My bad.