UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

President Hall, RIP

statefan

Even from a distance, it was easy to see the impact President Hall had on the University. His decision to wave an inaugeral celebration to use the funds for the students, his honor program - impressed me beyond easy words. The university community was truly blessed to have this man among them, and at its head, no longer how short his tenure. His influence will be felt for many years, and hopefully, with the efforts of the students influenced by him, over many other institutions and areas. Deepest sympathies to his family, to those who knew him, and the students he has taught.

Edit: Will try to note 3 p.m. today, and take a few minutes to reflect at the same time as the ceremony at the fountain.

15664[/snapback]

I remember what a huge ovation President Hall received from the student section at the BPG 2 years ago and thinking, "the President during my undergraduate days would have never received that kind of applause."

President Hall would stop and say "hello" to us on the uptown campus while making the rounds, in Binghamton during the AE tournament, or in the Capitol testifying before a committee or doing whatever he was doing. Just a wonderfully intelligent, caring and personable man, and today the Albany and university communities are worse off as a result of this tragedy.

I agree with Pataki that his impact will be felt for years to come. Deepest sympathies to his wife and the entire Hall family.

In the world of sports we often talk about "Impact Players".

For UA and I mean the overall university President Hall was a major "Impact Player"!!!!!

He continually worked on the whole package, UA could offer. In my opinion his efforts to upgrade athletics at UA had a larger goal and thet was to improve the entire university setting.

He understood the whole package and was probably the easiest College President to approach that I have ever met.

He was just an excellent person - my condolences to all who were close to him.

There will be a remembrance service this afternoon at 3 PM by the small fountain in front of the Campus Center.

Also, Mrs. Hall has asked that all memorial donations be made to the inagural scholarship fund.

I would also like to express my appreciation for the kind sentiments of some of the Siena fans expressed on their forum.

deepest condolences to his family and their close friends ... unbelievably tragic news ... i had the pleasure of speaking to President Hall and his wife on a number of occasions and was left with only positive impressions ... UAlbany certainly gained direction for advancement w/in the ranks of the nation's top universities under his very short tenure ... the leadership, sense of community, vision, energy, and momentum he helped to create will most certainly be missed, and will prove challenging to replace ... profoundly saddened by the news

Even from a distance, it was easy to see the impact President Hall had on the University. His decision to wave an inaugeral celebration to use the funds for the students, his honor program - impressed me beyond easy words. The university community was truly blessed to have this man among them, and at its head, no longer how short his tenure. His influence will be felt for many years, and hopefully, with the efforts of the students influenced by him, over many other institutions and areas. Deepest sympathies to his family, to those who knew him, and the students he has taught.

Edit: Will try to note 3 p.m. today, and take a few minutes to reflect at the same time as the ceremony at the fountain.

15664[/snapback]

I met Pres. Hall a few months ago at an Alumni event on LI and he seemed serious about making his mark on the university, not just using it as a stepping stone to another job at a bigger school with a larger endowment.

My condolences to the entire University community.

Vince Vincenzo '90

This is just horrible. I felt that with President Hall in charge, he was going to change UAlbany from a good school into a great school. He seemed like he was doing that, one day at a time. In the short couple of years he spent at this school, he has definitely left some big foot steps to follow in. We can only hope that whoever takes his place will share the same enthusiasm, dedication, and vision that President Hall had with the University at Albany. He has raised and left a new benchmark for all future Presidents of UAlbany to live and work by. I hope the school will honor him accordingly, and will establish something permanent and tangible on campus to remember him.

The memorial was a series of short remarks by Chancellor Ryan, Executive Breslin, Mayor Jennings, Senator Clinton, Rep. Sweeney, Assemblyman Tonko and several University and student reps. Probably over 500 were in attendance. The common theme was the best way to honor him would be to carry on his initiatives in China, with local high school students, and others.

other speakers included Provost, Susan Herbst, VP for Student Success, James Anderson and George Philip, who headed the search committee that chose President Hall. Several speaker, including Provost Herbst, VP Anderson and Mayor Jennings had moments where they had to take a second to compose themselves. VP Anderson told how he had been in e mail communication with Pres. Hall just prior to Pres. Hall going out to swim, to review his week's marching orders. He commented they joked about Pres. Hall needing foul shooting lessons for the next time he has to shoot in a contest.

Chancellor Ryan told an anecdote about Pres. Hall talking his way into a SUNY trip to Ukraine and a side trip with Ryan to Moscow. As many know, Ryan's military background makes him a stickler for being on time. He had told Pres. Hall that he could join the trip to Moscow on the condition he arrive at the airport on time. Pres. Hall arrived ten minutes late, but apologized saying he became engaged in speaking with a group of Ukranian graduate students, and Ryan accepted the reason.

Several people related how Pres. Hall liked to engage not only the students , faculty,and deans, but the maintenance people and groudskeepers as well.

Virtually all the fall sports teams and coaches were there. I also saw Coaches Brown, O'Donnell, Filien and Friel, as well as many season ticketholders, Varsity Club members, etc.

I just got back into town today and heard this sad news. Many of you have been around UAlbany much longer than I have. Since the time I've been around I don't recall another person being so revered by the UA Community in so short a time as President Hall has.

There's an article about his relationship with UA athletics in today's TU. Kermit Hall backed sports program. It's amazing how unimportant college athletics can seem in times of a tragedy like this.

Few reports from other papers around the country...the Columbus dispatch had a tidbit very interesting on Hall. I put three articles from the Deseret Morning News, cause it has a lot on insite on what he did of Utah State when he was there:

Columbus Dispact Article

Deseret Morning News #1

Deseret Morning News #2

Salt Lake Tribune

Deseret Morning News #3

Gainsville Sun