UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Pre-game Siena Stories

From Singelais' blog:

Brown said he finds it ‘’annoying'’ that he’s still asked if UAlbany has caught up to Siena.

‘’We’ve worked too hard to build this thing to worry about if we’re comparable to Siena,'’ Brown said. ‘’We don’t want to be compared to Siena. We want to be one of the best mid-major programs around eventually.'’

From Singelais' blog:

Brown said he finds it ‘’annoying'’ that he’s still asked if UAlbany has caught up to Siena.

‘’We’ve worked too hard to build this thing to worry about if we’re comparable to Siena,'’ Brown said. ‘’We don’t want to be compared to Siena. We want to be one of the best mid-major programs around eventually.'’

18112[/snapback]

He has a point. Asking UA if they caught up to Siena would be like asking the next Major league baseball expansion team if they caught up to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Lets put this game into perspective. Aside from bragging rights and a either win or lose in each teams record this game is meaningless. I know alumni, students and fans all get worked up for this game (me included) and its great for the region. However this game in the long run is meaningless. IMO on our and siena's level making the NCAA's is far more important to a school and improving a program then beating a rival. The AE and MAAC are equal because both confrences are ONE BID only, one additional benefit to this game is that if one team gets into the NCAA's then they will have had some experience playing in a big time enviornment.

I don't think it will be meaningless UNTIL they stop asking Will that question, UNTIL press coverage is equal (it's getting closer in most media outlets). There's still competition between the two schools for market share, though the game increases the size of the pie at the same time.

I should have included the Media as being a factor in this game with alumni, student and fans. I think Brown did the smart thing be closing practice to the media this week to block out distractions, I think UA will come out focused from the get go and will play for the first time this season 40 minutes of complete focused basketball.

Lets put this game into perspective.  Aside from bragging rights and a either win or lose in each teams record this game is meaningless.  I know alumni, students and fans all get worked up for this game (me included) and its great for the region.  However this game in the long run is meaningless.  IMO on our and siena's level making the NCAA's is far more important to a school and improving a program then beating a rival.  The AE and MAAC are equal because both confrences are ONE BID only, one additional benefit to this game is that if one team gets into the NCAA's then they will have had some experience playing in a big time enviornment.

18115[/snapback]

The are not equal just because they are both one bid leagues. The are equal because you very rarely see one league favored by large numbers vs. the other like you see the majors favored over either. Also some years AE wins head to head vs. little maac . Some years the little maac wins head to head vs. AE. But usually it is too close to definitively say one league is stronger.

So far this season head to head

Sat, Nov 11 UMBC 56 St. Peter's 67

Tue, Nov 14 Loyola (MD)69 UMBC 56

Thu, Nov 16 Binghamton 74 Niagara 66

Sat, Nov 18 Rider 66  Boston University 60

Sat, Nov 25 Boston University 74 Manhattan College 65

Today Binghamton 53 Rider 49 8:15 remaining

Later today UA vs. LCC

Lets put this game into perspective.  Aside from bragging rights and a either win or lose in each teams record this game is meaningless.  I know alumni, students and fans all get worked up for this game (me included) and its great for the region.  However this game in the long run is meaningless.  IMO on our and siena's level making the NCAA's is far more important to a school and improving a program then beating a rival.  The AE and MAAC are equal because both confrences are ONE BID only, one additional benefit to this game is that if one team gets into the NCAA's then they will have had some experience playing in a big time enviornment.

18115[/snapback]

The are not equal just because they are both one bid leagues. The are equal because you very rarely see one league favored by large numbers vs. the other like you see the majors favored over either. Also some years AE wins head to head vs. little maac . Some years the little maac wins head to head vs. AE. But usually it is too close to definitively say one league is stronger.

So far this season head to head

Sat, Nov 11 UMBC 56 St. Peter's 67

Tue, Nov 14 Loyola (MD)69 UMBC 56

Thu, Nov 16 Binghamton 74 Niagara 66

Sat, Nov 18 Rider 66  Boston University 60

Sat, Nov 25 Boston University 74 Manhattan College 65

Today Binghamton 53 Rider 49 8:15 remaining

Later today UA vs. LCC

18118[/snapback]

Wow can you get any bitterer Bob??… Name calling LCC and Little MAAC? Looking at your list it appears the little MAAC has won 5 of the 7 meetings so far this year including Siena’s win over AJC last night. Of course that’s much better than last year what did America Least do go 0-11 against the MAAC. Bob don’t get bitter get better!

Really would be nice to see a little class from Albany fans, Siena fan have been nothing but complimentary to Albany and its fans. It was a great college basketball game last night

. . . Really would be nice to see a little class from Albany fans, Siena fan have been nothing but complimentary to Albany and its fans. It was a great college basketball game last night

18145[/snapback]

Tony, you are correct here. I haven't checked messages on your board this morning yet, but it was refreshing that when I saw your board last night to see the absense of rancor from your posters. I think almost everyone recognized that the game last night was much more a game of finesse between two evenly-matched teams, rather than spouting excessive bravado about your team's victory. Most fans left the arena last night with a sense of awe on how each team played tough. I have to compliment your posters for their views of last night.

Really would be nice to see a little class from Albany fans, Siena fan have been nothing but complimentary to Albany and its fans. It was a great college basketball game last night

18145[/snapback]

Well it is about time. If the Siena fans had shown any class over the last 8 years, I don't think there would quite the level of hatred for them that there is.

Archived