UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hartford Game Thread

Great to hear that the Danes won!

I'm curious about a couple things and can't seem to wait for any game report. UAlbany had built up quite a lead in the second half (21 points, at least, by one score I saw); why did the lead shrink considerably? Did Brown let everybody into the game? Did Bauman get in - I hope so.

What was the crowd like. I could not receive the radio feed. Were a lot of students present?

It's wonderful to see the Danes get back on track.

I'm curious about a couple things and can't seem to wait for any game report. UAlbany had built up quite a lead in the second half (21 points, at least, by one score I saw); why did the lead shrink considerably? Did Brown let everybody into the game? Did Bauman get in - I hope so.

What was the crowd like. I could not receive the radio feed. Were a lot of students present?

Yes, everyone got in the game. I think Bauman had 3 minutes, might have been 4. 2 for 4 from the line. There were a good amount of students. 1 end was almost filled and the other end about half filled.

Yes, everyone got in the game. I think Bauman had 3 minutes, might have been 4. 2 for 4 from the line. There were a good amount of students. 1 end was almost filled and the other end about half filled.

bob87,

Thanks for your report. Your info about the crowd won't be put into any report. Thanks, again.

Everyone did not play---Reid Anderson did not get into the game

I liked the final score, 80-67, because it was the same score of the AE Championship game last March.

Impressive how economical Jamar was getting his points. I didn't remember him taking that many shots but he ended up with 22. Also a great game for Iati, it's a different team when he's playing well and he was on tonight. Gifford can't seem to catch a break on the foul calls. I swear on two of them today Taylor just dribbled into him and got the foul called - amazing.

Nice signs today in the student section. I couldn't read all of them but I liked the "Hartford - high crime area but no shooters" one.

I liked the final score, 80-67, because it was the same score of the AE Championship game last March.

Impressive how economical Jamar was getting his points. I didn't remember him taking that many shots but he ended up with 22. Also a great game for Iati, it's a different team when he's playing well and he was on tonight. Gifford can't seem to catch a break on the foul calls. I swear on two of them today Taylor just dribbled into him and got the foul called - amazing.

Nice signs today in the student section. I couldn't read all of them but I liked the "Hartford - high crime area but no shooters" one.

reminiscent of Zoellner

Everyone did not play---Reid Anderson did not get into the game

Yep , your right. Sorry, I forgot about that. After Knight, Yocum, Bauman and Ross all got in, I had thought that was everyone forgetting they Anderson did not play.

BTW, one side of the student section included many of the UA track team. The track team was honored at halftime.

Game report from my seat:

(1) Zone Defense. It was great to see Hartford come out of the zone defense so early in the game and start to play man-to-man coverage! Precisely the sign that we were beating the zone. Of course, a team beats a zone with quick perimeter passing and solid outside shooting. 3 three-pointers by Jamar Wilson and at least one or two by Brent Wilson signaled the end of the zone defense for H.U. It was great to see UAlbany hit 9 three-point shots and to see Brent Wilson get 18 points (14 in the first half), thereby earning him the Across the Street Pub player of the game.

(2) Bench Play. Michael Knight had good solid minutes today too. I was impressed with Knight's play. It's tough to come off the bench and be fresh. He passed the ball quickly, didn't appear too hesitant at all, and had a real nice spin move in the lane late in the game to create an open shot. Also nice to see Yocum get some playing time. Bauman got in the game for, as stated above, about 3-4 minutes. Carl Ross was, as always, exciting. I think he touches the basketball hoop rim at least once every time he gets in the game. He's just an electric player and fun to watch. We are going to need his "slashing" ability and quickness to the basket next year when Siggers and Wilson are no longer around. Look to Ross to play a big offensive role next year (and hopefully this year too!).

(3) Pep Band. Sounded great today; appeared to be more members in the band present today. Although the music from the sound system there is fine, I wish they would let the band play more! At least once, the sound system played while the band was playing. Everyone loves the pep band; let them play!

(4) Tickets. Any word on when our online ticket system will be back and functioning? I'd like to see the ability to buy tickets online through the school, or through ticketmaster, and to have this become a reality next season. As a season ticket holder, I have 2 tickets a game, but I had ordered an additional ticket on the phone this week for today's game, with that ticket to be held for me at the will call window. Unfortunately, when I went to get the ticket today, it was not there! Frustrated, I went to the box office and explained the problem, and the woman working there kindly gave me a student ticket so that my additional guest today could get in. It was still frustrating, though I understand mistakes happen. I guess all is well that ends well, however.

(5) Student sections. The far student section was quite populated, though it appeared that many of the students were members of the track and field team, with some of those members leaving at halftime (following their ceremony).

(6) Greek Life Support at Games. QUESTION: Where are the greeks at the games? I never see any fraternity or soriority kids at the games --- EVER! Not even kids with their "letters" on their shirts. Where are they? At many other schools --- RPI and/or Union (or even at that school in Loudenville) and at their hockey games for example --- the greek-life kids play a huge role at games and support their school's teams. Am I perceiving their lack of involvement at UAlbany basketball games correctly? How can we light the school-spirit candle of the greeks on campus? Surely, they would play a great (and vocal) role at home games. Is it because many of them live off campus and towards the downtown campus? Thoughts?

(7) That school from NY's southern tier: Good game today, but they couldn't seal the deal against Vermont. Not sure if Hartford will be able to take down Vermont at home either. Maybe Stonybrook will have some luck against Vermont when Vermont goes there next Sunday. It would be a real boost for Vermont to go 3-0 on their mini-road trip (they started off 1-0 with their win today at that green school downstate). Before we crown Vermont with anything, though, note that their end-of-season schedule is by no means easy: they play New Hampshire, B.U., UMBC, and then at Albany, at Maine, host that school from the NY southern tier, and at B.U. (season finale, Hartford at home).

(8) Attendance. Not a bad turnout today given the frigid weather and the fact that the NFL playoffs were (and currently are as I write this) on. Albanians historically, in my view, tend to be lazy on Sundays (not a bad thing!) so 3,000+ isn't too shabby at all. That school from Loudenville that plays downtown only gets a little over 5,000/game, right? I'd say we're due to catch up in the coming years! As far as people coming out today, I went to Crossgates immediately after the game, and the mall was a complete ghost-town, so the fact that 3,000+ came out for the game, again, pleases me because most places were a bit quiet today.

Good luck against B.U. this week! I think we've only won once there since going Division 1 (last year we won there). Like all conference games, it's an important one!

Good game on Sunday. Nice to see a fresh team run the floor.

Some thoughts:

1.) 'T's for 3's': Good idea, but if you are going to do it, make sure you have enough for the whole game.

2.) I was digging Will Brown's suit for the TV game. The last TV game Eaton was dressed to the nines, but this time Brown took the upper hand.

3.) Loved the enthusiasm of the pep band, but every time I was trying to hear the Bingo-UVM score, they were playing at full volume. I guess on this one I would take atmosphere over scores.

4.) Does anybody know how the AE assigns the officials? I swear I have seen two of the on-court officials a handful of times (including the UVM game?).

5.) I have said it before, and I say it again: The student section has to get the 'Left-Right' chant going when an opposing player fouls out. Hartford was a great opportunity, but no success.

6.) Has anybody else noticed that there have been a handful of times this season when the player should have shot free throws but didn't? At first I thought the scoreboard was miscounting fouls because the players have not shot one-and-ones on the seventh foul four or five times. Yesterday, however, I swear the player did not go to the line on Hartford's tenth foul of the second half....Am I going crazy?

Anyways, good game, and good luck to the Danes in Boston this week.

"6.) Has anybody else noticed that there have been a handful of times this season when the player should have shot free throws but didn't? At first I thought the scoreboard was miscounting fouls because the players have not shot one-and-ones on the seventh foul four or five times. Yesterday, however, I swear the player did not go to the line on Hartford's tenth foul of the second half....Am I going crazy?"

Maybe it was a charge, they wouldn't shoot those.

Archived