UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. University of Maine (02/07/07)

I can't believe Giff is being ripped like this, I think he is going to be a very nice player. What do you expect from him losing all that weight, playing spotty minutes here and there unable to get any consistent minutes. I thought he had a very good game, as already pointed out, yes he lost one rebound tonight that bounced into his hands but he was very solid doubling down low on anyone with the ball on the low block, he battled for a couple of rebounds. If you think back to the game against Haddix he had very solid moves down low as I think he hit a couple of hook shots and drop steps down low. For someone his size and height it takes time to adjust, especially on defense. I have faith in coach Brown and the staff as they have yet to lead us astray. In my opinion Alex and Daneaholic are way of base on this one.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, you're not gonna get a Joakim Noah-type big man in the AE..you're not gonna get an Aaron Gray-type big man in the AE. If you want to watch extremely athletic, agile, shot-blocking, shooting, dribbling, rebounding, etc etc big men, go watch your Big East and ACC play. It's especially true on a team where the offense runs through prolific guards like Jamar and Siggers.

Before I read these recent posts, I was going to comment that I thought this was probably the best game I've seen Giff play since the Siena and UConn match-ups. He was much more aggressive on the boards and had improved positioning, hence the 4 offensive rebounds.

He had a good deal of hype around him coming in, but to expect double doubles from him on a regular basis is foolish. Wait a couple years (or even next year after he puts on his muscle weight) to see what he can really do day in and day out.

As a side note, I love seeing Giff and Yocum on the court at the same time and how they play off each other. Giff has the great size and Yocum has a very quick rebound/put-back move. Makes me very excited about our future.

First off, you're not gonna get a a Joakim Noah-type big man in the AE..you're not gonna get an Aaron Gray-type big man in the AE. If you want to watch extremely athletic, agile, shot-blocking, shooting, dribbling, rebounding, etc etc big men, go watch your Big East and ACC play. It's especially true on a team where the offense runs through prolific guards like Jamar and Siggers.

Before I read these recent posts, I was going to comment that I thought this was probably the best game I've seen Giff play since the Siena and UConn match-ups. He was much more aggressive on the boards and had improved positioning, hence the 4 offensive rebounds.

He had a good deal of hype around him coming in, but to expect double doubles from him on a regular basis is foolish. Wait a couple years (or even next year after he puts on his muscle weight) to see what he can really do day in and day out.

As a side note, I love seeing Giff and Yocum on the court at the same time and how they play off each other. Giff has the great size and Yocum has a very quick rebound/put-back move. Makes me very excited about our future.

I totally agree with the above post. I, probably more then anyones else has been pimping this guy and I think it setup for unrealistic expectations. I think some of us need to temper our enthusiasm about incoming recruits until we actually see them play, I know I'm guilty as hell when it comes to this but we are only doing the players a disservice by having unrealistic expectations. I only recently came to this realization, it would behoove some others here to do the same.

Ripping on Gifford is uncalled for. As a Freshman he has shown more ability then Zoellner did during his first year which was his junior year even after being at BC. Gifford has something you can't teach 6'11 and his fundamentals are sound he has got a soft touch, he boxes out well, and his passing ability is decent for big men in our league. I'll give you the shuffling of the feet and holding on to the ball as a few things he needs to work on. But many of the complaints about Gifford’s game can be worked on and he will get better mark my words, you will be eating all your negative words this time next year if not sooner.

BTW glad Yocum is getting some PT.

As a partisan Gifford fan I take great offense to referring to him as awful... that statement is not only rude but unfounded. Not only did he lose the weight (a major adjustment for his body itself and for him as a player), but he is a boy playing against young men already acclimated to the speed and tempo of this level of game. As many other 19yr old boys, Giff's still growing into his body and at 6'11" that may take a little more time.

The best thing about Gifford is he knows how to play the game; once he attains the agility and confidence (which will come) necessary for college ball, he'll be a consistently strong player. And he's definitely got heart and a passion for the game, which just cannot be taught. He's made some sound plays in the past and he had a great game tonight; great games don't happen by chance, they happen because of skill; skills which clearly need to be elevated, but that can be said of any freshman and most college players for that matter.

No, awful is certainly not the correct adjective to describe this player!

I was surprised as the rest of you to see a couple of posts ripping Gifford. I thought that might have been one of his better games. Both he and Connelly gave a nice lift off the bench, nice to get double digit points and rebounds from that spot.

I also like the way Lillis is imposing himself somewhat on offense. Seems like he lets the defense forget about him and then looks for his shot to keep them honest. If I had to nitpick I'd like Ross (sorry Haggy) to look a little more comfortable on the offensive end when he's out there. All in all though this team looks like it knows what it wants to do out there and is doing it. I thought at times during the second half that Maine looked like the team that had played three games in five days - they got beat soundly on the glass.

How soon we forget!!!!

Zo was maligned so much (by a few so called AE Fans) both his playing years at UA. A few use to mock his every move at home games and actually laugh at him. Now he's gone and we realize how important he was.

Gifford came in and lost almost 35lbs, that's huge, he is asked to give us a physical presence inside a few minutes a game.

Big guys in the AE often have a tough time with fouls playing against alot of smaller quicker players. Show me a BIG in the AE who isn't suspect to fouls and ridicule. Even UVM's Chris Holm a 5th year Sr. is ridiculed at times for missing to many "so called easy shots" and he's avg a double double.

How many 6'10/11" Freshman play minutes in AE games.

"Giff" is still a work in progress who I believe will only get much better, he's getting on the job training as a Frosh which will play dividends later in his career. With him, some seem to take the good for granted and ridicule every mistake.

Young "Bigs" need time for their bodies to adjust and mature and to get use to the pace and physicality of the game. I for one am happy we have him.

I also have expectations for Yocum, he seems always to be around the ball - when he gets in the game. Gifford lost a ton of weight now I'd like to see Yocum add some 15-20 lbs by next season which seems to be very possible, just look at Connelly, Brent, Lillis and even Iati's body transformation from their Frosh to Soph seasons.

Gifford and Yocum if they pay their dues this off season could really be more significant contributors next season.

These comments that he looks confused are ludicrous. I have seen several times where Gifford is directing players to their proper places for in-bounds plays. He's very intelligent and I have no doubts he's not confused about what he's doing on court. He looks confused when he's called for some of the fouls he's tagged with and that I can understand.

I tend to be critical of a lot of play and players. I've said since the siena game, though, that by the time Gifford leaves UAlbany he's going to be an excellent player. For a big young guy he knows how to get to the basket on both ends and he shoots with a softer touch than a lot of freshman big guys. I for one, am very optimistic about his future. I don't have the same good feeling about Yocum, however. I'm not sure he can develop enough to consistenly keep up with the speed of the game at this level.

I tend to be critical of a lot of play and players. I've said since the siena game, though, that by the time Gifford leaves UAlbany he's going to be an excellent player. For a big young guy he knows how to get to the basket on both ends and he shoots with a softer touch than a lot of freshman big guys. I for one, am very optimistic about his future. I don't have the same good feeling about Yocum, however. I'm not sure he can develop enough to consistenly keep up with the speed of the game at this level.

King,

I've watched Yocum as many games this year as anyone, in my opinion he hasn't been on the floor nearly enough to make an objective determination. Who here has seen him play enough to call it one way or the other? I know I haven't, and I've been to all the games. Unfortunately for him he is kind of down on the pecking order. Covington and Conelly are still young and Brent is only a junior so I'm not sure how much time he is going to get even next year since none of the bigs are graduating. I think his junior and senior year is when you'll see him get consistent minutes. He is very long and mobile other then that I don't think anyone has enough information to say he won't be good. I view Gifford, Conelly and Yocum the future in the front court, as Covington will be an upperclassmen next year.

For those ripping Giff, remember the lackluster play last year from Covington, he didn't have a good touch and wasn't very strong in the rebounding department. I think most of us thought of him strictly as a banger and a guy who could give us some minutes/fouls as a bruiser. This is only his sophomore season but I think it's plain to see the development in his game, so I'm more then optimistic about Giff.

I don't have the same good feeling about Yocum, however. I'm not sure he can develop enough to consistenly keep up with the speed of the game at this level.

You see that in the total of 16 minutes of play he's had this season? He's scored 6pts and grabbed 8 rebounds (5 offensive). Project that over a game..16min x 2 for 32min and you get 12pts and 16 rebounds. And he's often been in towards the end of games w/o Jamar, Siggers, Brent, etc for the other team to concentrate on. And don't forget, this is a kid who played quality prep ball with a couple kids named Wayne Ellington (lighting it up at UNC as a frosh) and Gerald Henderson (same at Duke). So I think he might be able to hold his own.

For how much Giff has been criticized in the little playing time he's received, how about we let Yocum play at least half an hour of DI NCAA basketball before we start to pass judgement on him.

Okay, Godan. That is more than fair.

I did see Y play in high school and I thought he sometimes labored to cover the floor end to end. But I'll be more than happy to recant my concerns if proven wrong.

Got to say, in the two games I saw of Yocum...the kid in person looks much better than TV. He is bigger than you think physically...and he moves up and down the floor VERY WELL. HE is an energizer bunny.

I've been told by someone who's seen him in workouts that Yocum's the best dunker on the team.

That person is out of his/her mind. I was standing with people close to the program and Carl Ross and Jason Siggers were asked point blank about future player Tim Ambrose's leaping ability (and in turn their dunking ability): Siggers shot a "are you kidding me look", while Ross replied that Ambrose made them look silly.

Coming from the two current most explosive athletes on the team (and dunkers) I will take their word for it. Not to often high level athletes defer to another.

Technically speaking, Ambrose is not on the team yet.

Archived