UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

PUBLIC STADIUM RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Fall Newsletter just received.

uastadiumah4.jpg

From McElroy:

"The Football Stadium Complex is progressing at a rapid rate. The Capital District and Metro New York Steering Committees are generating significant private support. The environmental impact and site analysis will begin later this spring. The large amount of enthusiasm and support from the public has been encouraging as we move forward. The University has identified the Football Stadium Complex as the #1 non-academic priority. I strongly encourage your support for this initiative."

PS. sorry for the crappy scan. I'm sure they'll post a good pic on the website soon.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a 'concept design' rather than architects plans. Looks kind of generic. If the picture shows the surrounding buildings and roads, then I'll expect it to look like what gets built.

True, but SDC plans usually dont deviate too far from architects plans.

It is nice to see something public, and it is a very nice rendering. It is however a bit of a shame that nothing was publicized until McElroy signed his contract extension, as the university must continue to grow with or without contract extensions in place. Sometimes I think there is far too much of an emphasis on personal political motives in the organized business world, and not enough concentration on the overall greater good.

Also, I thought that I was on every UAlbany mailing list, but I never received that newsletter. I have been trying to remedy that situation....any advice?

If anyone else is interested, I just recently got off the phone with Dan Ostrom, who was willing to add me to the newsletter list. Although I am grateful, sometimes I think it is a painful process to receive information.

It was noted that "It isn't practical to send out information to all of the UAlbany alumni," but I still think there is room for some give.

It is nice to see something public, and it is a very nice rendering. It is however a bit of a shame that nothing was publicized until McElroy signed his contract extension, as the university must continue to grow with or without contract extensions in place. Sometimes I think there is far too much of an emphasis on personal political motives in the organized business world, and not enough concentration on the overall greater good.

Also, I thought that I was on every UAlbany mailing list, but I never received that newsletter. I have been trying to remedy that situation....any advice?

Have to disagree with you on this one. As I have dealt with umpteen amounts of sponors/donors over my time, I do know that having the person you are negotiating with in a permanent place is VERY IMPT. It is like recruiting.

The SEFCU deal opened eyes to the corporate community. McElroy has been working the donors along with Ostrom, Johnson, and Voelker (marketing) for quite some time. They have also worked with the state. IF a new AD came aboard, there is no guarantee that the donors, corporate sponsors, and state officials would be as comfortable with the new AD.

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the new AD would prioritize a football stadium.

All that being said, no one is going to ante up not knowing the status of the key contact.

This was nothing political...just straight up business. Happens every day. It is more of a problem the outsiders would have...as opposed to McElroy trying to be political. HE HAD TO KEEP THIS TO HIS CHEST. Imagine if he didnt get hired again and had announced the stadium prior to that...and then the deals fell through.

We would be just like Northeastern...with a stadium on the drawing board since the early 60's.

Looks great. Good to see some forward progress... at less publicly. It may just be an artist rendering bit I'm glad to see space for future growth. Good to give yourself options.

D96, as always, you make very valid counterpoints to another person's preferences. You have given me a different perspective to think about, and you call upon practical contract experience (which I am missing).

However, I still feel a different way.

Case in point, if McElroy went public before signing a contract extension, and his initiatives failed, he would lose "face", as they say in Japanese circles. Even if while working at UAlbany the football stadium was his most important project, he would not go public at the risk of tarnishing his image as a result of failure.

So, we are left with two schools of thought.

One, the business or practical idealogy, where goals and agendas are carefully guarded until success is a virtual inevitability.

The other, the idealistic or objectivist school of thought, where personal absolutisms over-power the general moods and energies of the public perception.

I know which of the two schools of thought is preferred in the business world. However, I still hold out hope that more leaders from the second school will evolve.

"I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build." -Ayn Rand

As a commuter to UA games I find this rendering most encouraging. Notice that there are two teams on the field, two benches occupied by players, a sold out stadium, and almost no cars in the parking lot. I guess I will not have to struggle with finding parking nor with traffic jams when departing after the game. I love it.

As a commuter to UA games I find this rendering most encouraging. Notice that there are two teams on the field, two benches occupied by players, a sold out stadium, and almost no cars in the parking lot. I guess I will not have to struggle with finding parking nor with traffic jams when departing after the game. I love it.

Nice take on the rendering. Borrowing off your critique, I find it alarming that the north end-zone appears to be missing its goal-post and that the south end zone's goal-post is barely visible to the naked eye.

Also, with that wall right behind the end zones, I pity the player that breaks off a long run and ends up smashing into it.

Archived