UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

FOX 980 AM and its Streaming Audio

Why are we getting the SBU broadcast, did Wyland and Partner not go down?

Wyland can't go on road trips during February sweeps due to the importance of channel 13 having all their regular talent on-air except for emergencies. Don't know about Tobben though.

I thought Wyland was not traveling becasue Kelly is due soon. Am I wrong about that one?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has been sporadic all season. It last worked for the games out in Utah . I have an old clock radio that suffices.

I feel for all who are outside the area. Has anyone called WOFX?

The Utah game was actually the first game that I think FOX 980 did not work (for me at least) because I had to listen to the game through Utah's audio. I remember the announcers exclaiming how the game was a "foul fest" on UAlbany. Never heard opposing announcers stick up for us like that ... haha.

As far as video for the game, I paid the $6.95 as well for the video feed of the game tonight. The video was pretty good (a bit dark), as was the audio --- better than the audio for the America East broadcast tonight. After 7:30pm, I had the Vermont game on 1 computer, with the UAlbany game on my computer #2 right next to computer #1. The audio for the Vermont game, which I un-muted after the UAlbany game was over, was HORRIBLE. Close game in Boston. Not too happy about potentially facing Bingo and then Boston University next weekend!!!

Note: For those of us who purchased the monthly access to Stonybrook sports for $6.95, and seek to cancel that account, you may simply send a reply e-mail to the confirmation e-mail that they sent you, and then you only have to state in your reply that you would like your account cancelled (or something to that effect). I got a reply confirmation within an hour or so (I also requested a confirmation e-mail when they cancelled my account).

I thought Wyland was not traveling becasue Kelly is due soon. Am I wrong about that one?

It has to do with the sweeps period that TV stations are in now. Rodger's contract apparently precludes him from being away during sweeps. We chatted briefly at the radio "booth" just before the Vermont game & he indicated that was why he wasn't headed to Boise, etc.

Have you noticed a more pronounced inclusion of Loundonville Tech during the last 2 weeks - could it be due to sweeps as well? Or is it because they have a shot at the MAAC title? I'm guessing sweeps

It has to do with the sweeps period that TV stations are in now. Rodger's contract apparently precludes him from being away during sweeps. We chatted briefly at the radio "booth" just before the Vermont game & he indicated that was why he wasn't headed to Boise, etc.

Have you noticed a more pronounced inclusion of Loundonville Tech during the last 2 weeks - could it be due to sweeps as well? Or is it because they have a shot at the MAAC title? I'm guessing sweeps

I'll be at the Marist vs. Loudenville Technical College tomorrow cheering on the Foxes! The game is sold out, so it should be a fun, lively crowd!

What GDBD said was right, however you bring up an interesting situation. Kelly is due the second week in March, if Albany ends up in some postseason play (I hope to God the NCAA's), he'd probably be unable to travel then as well. That isn't necessarily a bad thing for either us or him.

On a tangent, am I the only one who thinks that Wyland sometimes goes on too much about his personal life during his show?

Why are we getting the SBU broadcast, did Wyland and Partner not go down?

Wyland can't go on road trips during February sweeps due to the importance of channel 13 having all their regular talent on-air except for emergencies. Don't know about Tobben though.

Tobben finally made it to the game--he spent 2 hours on the LIE.

Actually it was an accident on the thruway according to Mark Singelais' blog

Calm down Bob-----I only quoted what was said on the broadcast by Tobben himself.

What GDBD said was right, however you bring up an interesting situation. Kelly is due the second week in March, if Albany ends up in some postseason play (I hope to God the NCAA's), he'd probably be unable to travel then as well. That isn't necessarily a bad thing for either us or him.

On a tangent, am I the only one who thinks that Wyland sometimes goes on too much about his personal life during his show?

I rarely listen to what Rog is saying during the broadcast. The only reason that I said that was the old Westmere News connection.

It is an interesting point about post-season action. They really should have timed that better (just kidding Rog and Kelly).

SSS!

This is the understatement of all understatements. I want to listen to his show for UA hoops info but I just can't stomach it. I think at this point the only thing to get me to listen would be him previewing each game by interviewing the local beat writer from each AE team or a head coach or assistant.

It’s nothing personal…he’s just annoying and doesn’t offer much.

If Roger’s not calling the post season games then Tobin needs a color guy any candidates or volunteers?

This is the understatement of all understatements. I want to listen to his show for UA hoops info but I just can't stomach it. I think at this point the only thing to get me to listen would be him previewing each game by interviewing the local beat writer from each AE team or a head coach or assistant.

I purposely turn in 5 minutes late to try to get the rundown, if anything relevant comes up (not necessarily UA related) I plan to listen during those times class permitting, if not...click. It kinda helps matters that his constant going on about his life usually is at the start of the show. The show is called "Big Board Sports" for a reason, not "Let me go on about Stewarts and Westmere News and the UAlbany Fitness Center* and my second go at fatherhood with my trophyish wife** and the athletic pursuits of my kids from marriage #1 and "Club 13 is #1" and Saratoga Sod and Concord Pools and CDTA (which I'd never be caught DEAD riding) and blah blah blah...".

Murph sometimes can be negative and a bit too local, but Murph keeps non-sports content to a minimum.

* Given that he probably makes well into 6 figures between 13, 980, and UAlbany, anyone find it slightly annoying that someone with so much money would WANT to work out on-campus?

** Anyone find it interesting that the "voice" of our school is married to a $iena alum, one with a reportedly colorful time there at that. Maybe being a Penn State alum cancels out the evil of such an arrangement... :rolleyes:

If Roger’s not calling the post season games then Tobin needs a color guy any candidates or volunteers?

Staying in the 13 family, would Andrew Catalon be a good fit? Only downside is that 13 would have to go into emergency mode if they wanted someone in-studio doing sports, but that's the price to pay sometimes.

The only real dig I have on Wyland and Toben (besides the "parnter" thing...which is highly annoying) is the constant use of players' first names. We know who they are, but no where on professional broadcasts do you hear first names (obvious exceptions for those worthy of first name recognition...Tiger, etc...).

I think they would do themselves a huge favor if they referred to players by last name. I know its confusing with two Wilsons, but why can't they just say Jamar Wilson and Brent Wilson. Not really all that long of names.......

[

Calm down Bob-----I only quoted what was said on the broadcast by Tobben himself.

I was calm and I talked to both Wyland and Tobben today. Tobben said he was stuck on an accident near exit 17 on the Thruway and that when he got to SB he sat next to Singelais. Wyland mentioned the sweeps as the reason he was not at Thursday game.

[

I was calm and I talked to both Wyland and Tobben today. Tobben said he was stuck on an accident near exit 17 on the Thruway and that when he got to SB he sat next to Singelais. Wyland mentioned the sweeps as the reason he was not at Thursday game.

Once again---I only quoted what was said on the broadcast by Tobben himself. What difference does it make. relax.

[

Once again---I only quoted what was said on the broadcast by Tobben himself. What difference does it make. relax.

Incorrectly according to Tobben and Singelais.

It doesn't make much of a difference, but it should be correct.

How about you get it correct or you calm down, relax or whatever.

Good day.

[

Whatever

Archived