UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Constructive suggestions

I would like to use this string for constructive suggestions on improving the experience of the fans at UAlbany athletic events, and in particular, basketball. I thought we took a great stride forward this past season with the Varsity Club bus trips to UConn, Vermont (both regular season and AE championship). AE tournament and the NCAA tournament. My pet peeve is the lack of attractive purple logod apparel. Most of us like to wear colors to away venues and for the most part, all we have are the giveaway tee shirts. I'm not a marketing person, but a selection of logod sweatshirts, fleeces and golf-type shells would be nice as well as a selection of fitted caps. The store at SEFCU is never open except at gametimes and seems to carry mostly odd-sized leftovers. The bookstore is a little better, but not much and is not open when working people would want to shop.

One other concern that comes to mind is the ticket distribution system for students, especially for games where demand far exceeds supply. I would think that by swiping id cards, some sort of priority point system could be put in place, so that the students who attend all the time would have a better liklihood of obtaining the difficult tickets. Many schools do this, where students have to swipe of scan in & out at athletic events and create a priority system for students who attend, and stay throughout games. It seems logical that the technology exists and shouldn't be hard to put into place. It seemed grossly unfair to me that students who are consistent fans were shut out of conference championship and NCAA tickets in favor of those who simply chose to cut more classes to wait on line.

If one is looking for nice "golf-shirts" or polo-styled shirts with UAlbany colors, consider checking out the website set out below. There, one can create their own Polo shirt. Although I think you can already buy UAlbany polos right now, if I recall correctly, you can't go wrong with Polo if that's the type of shirt one is looking for. Regardless, check out ("create your own Polo"):

http://www.polo.com/shop/index.jsp?categor...&cp=1795706

You can put your initials on the shirt as well (or "UA" as I did). It's kinda stupid, but it was amusing if nothing else.

As far as merchandise generally, I recently ordered a Michigan catalog from their bookstore, and the thing is LOADED with stuff you can buy. Perhaps one way we could expand our selection of items is to simply see what other big schools are selling and order that type of merchandise for us. For example, browse http://umichigan.bkstore.com. One may wish to check out any other school's bookstore and get even more ideas. Moreover, that Michigan bookstore website doesn't even have 25% of the stuff that their catalog had/has. Just my $.02.

statefan in regards to your first pet peeve I have three words: Steve and Barry. They have a nice selection of sweatshirts; as for fleeces, golf-type shells, and fitted caps well maybe making a suggestion to the people at the book store and in the store in SEFCU could help.

As for ticket distribution I agree with the idea but it would be hard to implement. The technology most likely does exist but if I'm an AD would it really be financially worth it for the athletic department to invest in? My guess because students get in for free anyways probably not. Besides I believe most of the hard core fans will be smart enough to realize the importance of a BPG, Season Opener, or big time regular season game and get there early enough to guarantee themselves a ticket.

statefan in regards to your first pet peeve I have three words: Steve and Barry. They have a nice selection of sweatshirts; as for fleeces, golf-type shells, and fitted caps well maybe making a suggestion to the people at the book store and in the store in SEFCU could help.

As for ticket distribution I agree with the idea but it would be hard to implement. The technology most likely does exist but if I'm an AD would it really be financially worth it for the athletic department to invest in? My guess because students get in for free anyways probably not. Besides I believe most of the hard core fans will be smart enough to realize the importance of a BPG, Season Opener, or big time regular season game and get there early enough to guarantee themselves a ticket.

As someone who has worked with swipe cards...and actually helped to develop them on college campuses, the cost of such a proposition at the gate...IS NOTHING! Believe me...most schools are going towards this. The huge cost is the system...which ranges anywhere from 400-700 bucks per machine.

I like this idea.

As for Steve and Barry's...nice assortment...crappy construction and use of material. I think you will see the school, in general, up the merchandise area. Heck...I bought 4 items after the Championship in Burlington.

Merchandise is lacking at UA. While Steve and Barrys has a bunch of UA stuff, it's crap. The colors are usually off and construction is what you pay for. That said, it's better than nothing. It would be cool if the University stocked up on some apparel and the like. It would be nice to order some UA stuff through a catalog. Perhaps when the Stadium is built they can come up with a way of making a large store stocked with UA stuff. Just a thought

As someone who has worked with swipe cards...and actually helped to develop them on college campuses, the cost of such a proposition at the gate...IS NOTHING! Believe me...most schools are going towards this. The huge cost is the system...which ranges anywhere from 400-700 bucks per machine.

I like this idea.

As for Steve and Barry's...nice assortment...crappy construction and use of material. I think you will see the school, in general, up the merchandise area. Heck...I bought 4 items after the Championship in Burlington.

Haha, I picked up 3 or 4 things in Burlington too. I love those hats! One of those UAlbany A.E. Championship hats is comfortably perched upon my computer monitor as I type. :) As far as S&B's goes, I agree with the foregoing remarks. Good for the price, but not much else. I thought I saw new things available at UA as the season went on, so I imagine we'll see more and more as time passes. I think I own just about everything they sell right now (well, not everything, but a lot). I wanted to buy stuff as a way to support the program. I've said in previous posts, that buying concessions and merchandise is a great way to support the school and get something back in return at the same time.

I've said in previous posts, that buying concessions and merchandise is a great way to support the school and get something back in return at the same time.

AGREED....CONCESSION STAND IS HORRIBLE

I BROUGHT MY CYO TEAM TO A WOMENS GAME AND IT WAS CLOSED!!1

EVEN AT THE MENS GAMES THE FOOD IS POOR

I HAVE MY SWEATSHIRT THAT HOOPS HAS IN THE PIC ABOVE AND I LOVE IT AS NIKE QUALITY.....

S AND B IS JUNK........ BUT GOOD FOR KIDS THAT GROW OUT OF IT EVERY 6 MONTHS

I don't have as much of a problem making it to the bookstore. I'd rather see more purple stuff as I tend to not wear any other color UA gear. Couldn't agree more on the student tickets.

-I'll also add parking at the Vermont game. If you had a parking pass like we did, you found they sold more parking tickets than there were parking spots. We had to drive our car over the curb and park in the grass to walk essentially as far as those who got spots in the free lot. I'm not adverse to walking and generally get the premium parking to save time during week night games but it wasn't a great situatuion. Hopefully only a one time deal.

-Bring back the UA flag. The guys running around the court with the flag were some of the best rally times. Got to get it back.

I think the food situation has improved although I think it can still get better. They do know give you a container of sauce with your chicken sandwhich, a marked improved.

For the good:

The handling of tickets for the championship game and the NCAA tourney game were terrific. I had no complaints last year but I thought this year was very effecient - well done. Also kudos to the alumni association and varsity club for putting the bus trips together, especially Columbus. Great job under the time contraints they were given.

Re: chicken sandwhiches, I saw someone with a side cup of bbq sauce; well done! I would also love to see the UA flag come back.

Finally, with regard to food, how about pizza? I would think that they could buy a bunch of pizzas (or have them made on campus), and then charge $2.00 or $2.50 per slice and make a nice little profit. Pizza would also sell very well I think. I would buy several slices per game. Pizza just seems a lot easier to produce than the chicken sandwhiches, etc. (though keep those too).

Any votes for pizza?

Archived