UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention of Hobbs in this article but Barksdale sounds encouraging.

"Cornerbacks (5): Rookie Rashad Barksdale, a college outfielder, has made it tough for the Eagles to cut him. But Joselio Hanson is too valuable to release, so both stay behind starter Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown, plus William James.

Nick Graham is good enough to stick, but there's just not enough room for another corner, so he's off to the practice squad."

Barksdale had short coverage on a pass to Nate Washington that set up Steelers' 3rd quarter touchdown. Maybe he was half a step late, but Madden and Michaels were only saying what a good pass it was between the short and deep coverage.

Another rookie CB (Graham, apparenly NOT on the practice squad) had an interception, but the ball had clanked off the hands of the receiver he was supposed to be covering.

Barksdale later made a nice solo tackle on a wide toss to stop the runner short of a first down.

It was a perfect pass, and Barksdale made a great attempt to deflect it - just a couple of inches off. I guess it's just a waiting game now - I really hope he gets a chance to stick. He clearly has potential - he'll get some good experience and compete in coming years...

The Eagles active roster stands at 76 players. One more move must be made before the league-imposed deadline.

A Look At The Roster Cuts

K E.J. Cochrane David Akers is one of the best in the business.

WR Dereck Faulkner Raw talent from Hampton lost in the numbers crunch.

TE Kyle Hunt A body added in the spring wasn't expected to last this long.

WR Jermaine Jamison Intrigued Eagles enough to take a second glance after last year's camp.

S Chris Smith Fell out of favor as Gaddis and Paschal battle for 4th safety spot.

G Chris White Plenty of o linemen coaches want to see Thursday, White not one of them

Deadline for next roster move is tomorrow afternoon...

Coleman has also made it past a round of cuts today:

San Diego: Released cornerback Quinton Jones, safety Miguel Merrick, linebacker Zach Latimer, offensive tackle Mike Jones, guard Jeremy Sheffey, quarterback Brett Elliott, tight end T.J. Cottrell and wide receivers Rhema McKnight, Rich Musinski and Sonny Shackelford; placed running back Tyronne Gross on injured reserve.

The crazy thing is if you go to the Eagles website, they list Hobbs as the 3rd string lineman on the debt charts, which makes me think he is going to make it, but Barksdale is nowhere on the depth chart. hmmmmm. Coleman is listed as a 3rd string lineman with Derrick Robinson on the latest San Diego debt chart released today.

The Eagles waived linebacker Craig Kobel today...Barksdale and Hobbs have made it to the final cut, which must be done by Sept 1. You may see them get tons of playing time this Thursday against the Jets (game maybe on TV), since most starters don't play in the last game.

The Eagles waived linebacker Craig Kobel today...Barksdale and Hobbs have made it to the final cut, which must be done by Sept 1. You may see them get tons of playing time this Thursday against the Jets (game maybe on TV), since most starters don't play in the last game.

Unless some unreal talent gets cut and p/u by the Iggles, I fully expect to see at least Barksdale...and maybe Hobbs...on the practice squad. Nice salaries to boot!

Andre Coleman has survived cutdown day as well. The Turk may find him on Sept. 1...but let's hope not!

I think Barksdale is going to make the team with a decent showing against the Jets. His size and speed is exceptional for his position and you can't teach either. That pass last week where he was playing theunder coverage was perfect - he nearly made a spectacular play and that won't be held against him, if anything he played it perfect - it was just that Batch threaded the needle between the coverage....you could see Barksdale in the replay sitting on the route and he jumped it perfect but Batch barely got it over Barks fingers. His play on special teams has been very good. At the least, he'll be on the practice squad and collect a check of about $5,000 a week - I think the practice squad guys get $79,900 if they are on the PS for the entire season - so about $5k a week. League minimum is in the $300k range for rookies, so he'll get a nice reward if he makes the active roster. I just think he has too many tools (size, speed, athleticism) that scouts and coaches look for at his position - at the worst, he'll make a living as a practice squad guy for years - but I don't think that will be his end game. Also, I don't think the Bloom kid has made a very good impression on the Eagles staff, so I hope he gets a chance to get a couple of returns this week.

If he makes the practice squad, his total comp this year is $80k as a practice squad guy and his $86k bonus gets him about $165k - not bad the first year out of school. And if he makes the active roster, he's in the neighborhood of $400k. Not bad at all.

Good luck to him.

Archived