UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Public Funding for Stadium

ATL_DANE

As it also mentions funds for connecting it to SEFCU arena, it seems like an error.

That's not an error. The stadium is supposed to be connected by office/training/weight room facilities to the Cue. That assumes it will be put near the Cue. Also the article mentions it will be placed "near" University field. Which is true. The Cue is "near" university field.

I encourage everyone to write a letter to the TU in support of the stadium project. There will undoubtedly be those who oppose this, as there is with any publically funded project. It is really important to show public support for this project. I am working on my letter today.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As it also mentions funds for connecting it to SEFCU arena, it seems like an error.

That's not an error. The stadium is supposed to be connected by office/training/weight room facilities to the Cue. That assumes it will be put near the Cue. Also the article mentions it will be placed "near" University field. Which is true. The Cue is "near" university field.

I encourage everyone to write a letter to the TU in support of the stadium project. There will undoubtedly be those who oppose this, as there is with any publically funded project. It is really important to show public support for this project. I am working on my letter today.

I did you one better. I sent off impassioned requests to:

• TU Editor
  • Gov Spitzer
  • Sen Bruno
  • Sen Clinton
  • Sen Schumer

I couldn't figure out Silver's page...

• TU Editor
  • Gov Spitzer
  • Sen Bruno
  • Sen Clinton
  • Sen Schumer

Can you guys post your letters?

• TU Editor
  • Gov Spitzer
  • Sen Bruno
  • Sen Clinton
  • Sen Schumer

Oh drat, I guess mine will have to go to McNulty, Gillibrand, and key people in SUNY Central (doesn't the boundary between the two split through campus) ;)

IMO, no loss with Silver though given some of his shenanigans I have a sad feeling he might be the one to derail this a la the civil confinement law. The fact he's from Manhattan where SUNY awareness is low might not help either.

Thinking about this stadium, it seems like the Pepsi all over again--remember that 20 years ago there was no real proper arena/concert venue in the Captial District with the undersized/not really appropriate Houston Field House and Armory picking up the slack. Now, to fight off my want to grill Hitchock in this letter over that underutilized sculpture studio...

Speaker Silver: speaker@ assembly.state.ny.us

Gillibrand's district doesn't include Albany County. It's the Albany city/Guilderland border that runs thru the campus

McElroy said at halftime that the location was still under study, except that it would definitely be on campus. Check Project 2010 to see that there is room for the stadium (expandable to 24,000) on the current SEFCU parking lot and eastward.

Gillibrand's district doesn't include Albany County. It's the Albany city/Guilderland border that runs thru the campus

I was somehow mistaken in thinking that she had some of Albany County. It might still be good given that a fair number of UA students (both on-campus and commuter) live in her district and that via playoffs for high school sports the children of some of her constituents very well could use the field as well.

McElroy said at halftime that the location was still under study, except that it would definitely be on campus. Check Project 2010 to see that there is room for the stadium (expandable to 24,000) on the current SEFCU parking lot and eastward.

I'd hate to take this on a tangent, but perhaps it might be time to consider building parking garages for not just the new stadium, but overall. As compact as the campus is (and as one Michigan State alum I know who works on-campus thinks, it's "too compact for 17,000 students"*), instead of building out for parking perhaps it's time to start building up. Though it might have its crunch times during overlapping seasons, a parking garage built central to the stadium, SEFCU, Fallon Field, and the future baseball/track facilities would work well and it'd separate those just wanting to park from those wanting to tailgate and such plus it'd increase student parking during the week without taking away space. Good idea or no.

* Of course, all 17,000 aren't on campus at the same time and I'd be willing to say that maybe half of that number actually live within the ring of campus, discounting Freedom (practically off-campus), Alumni (not on the main campus), commuters, and people living off-campus.

Saw McElroy was on TV-13 news at 5:30. I only caught the tail end but it's probably similar to this story with video link from Capital News 9 Story

WNYT story, with video, here

WTEN story, with no video, but loads of "Troopergate hurts SUNY and could kill the stadium" cynicism

Cool video...thanks scrabble. I found another video on Capital 9 News. Has some footage from the Hofstra game too.

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports...asp?ArID=220892

The two opinions of students capture the two sides of this issue spot on. One who, in my opinion, is shortsighted, and the other who has stepped back and taken a look at the big picture. Sure $60mm sounds like a huge chunk of change right now, but the benefits to University and student body are worth exponentially more than that in the long run.

I really really hope that a local station picks up the Montana game and broadcasts it into the UA cable system as well with McElroy giving a little speech every commercial break about the University's goals and how Montana is a great example of a University benefitting from FCS football and a top notch facilitly.

On another note, the one article says that only 2/3 of the $60mm would actually be for the stadium, which makes more sense and was what we expected the stadium to cost, $40mm.

If my reading is correct the remainder of the funds would go to build new offices for the coaches, sports medicine facilities as well as renovation of the CUE. Total cost of the project would be around 70 mil (60 public and 8-10 privet). So we are talking 46-47 mil for the stadium and the other 23 mil for renovation of the CUE as well as the other facilities mentioned. I hope (if this all happens) a decent amount of planning and improvements go into the CUE because who knows how many decades we'll have to wait to get some money for the CUE again. I love the amount of attention that is being generated in the local media, public officials etc.

If my reading is correct the remainder of the funds would go to build new offices for the coaches, sports medicine facilities as well as renovation of the CUE. Total cost of the project would be around 70 mil (60 public and 8-10 privet). So we are talking 46-47 mil for the stadium and the other 23 mil for renovation of the CUE as well as the other facilities mentioned. I hope (if this all happens) a decent amount of planning and improvements go into the CUE because who knows how many decades we'll have to wait to get some money for the CUE again. I love the amount of attention that is being generated in the local media, public officials etc.

I actually think that may have been an error. I think its $60mm total with 8-10mm of that being private. That's what I've heard all along, but maybe I'm mistaken.

The two opinions of students capture the two sides of this issue spot on. One who, in my opinion, is shortsighted, and the other who has stepped back and taken a look at the big picture. Sure $60mm sounds like a huge chunk of change right now, but the benefits to University and student body are worth exponentially more than that in the long run.

I agree though it also could be indicative of the individual viewpoints of sports at this school. Both of the students profiled are seniors who weren't looking at a school with a good sports culture when they signed on to come here. And yes, the overall benefit would be great given it'd give a lot more flexibility in planning campus events (i.e. Parkfest, graduations if we ever outgrow the new entry plaza, etc.).

I really really hope that a local station picks up the Montana game and broadcasts it into the UA cable system as well with McElroy giving a little speech every commercial break about the University's goals and how Montana is a great example of a University benefitting from FCS football and a top notch facilitly.

I'd have suggested TW3 as a perfect place to air it given it reaches much of the community as well, but the geniuses there have decided to pick up the oh-so-thrilling matchup between RPI and Hobart instead of patching into Montana's feed. I know it's probably a feed from TW Sports in Syracuse, but the more exposure UA can get on area TV, the better.

Not even that much - from page 3 of the T-U article:

Phase 1: $42 million

+++ Multi-sport complex (based on a 14,000-seat stadium) -- $31.5 million

+++ Field surface (synthetic) about $1 million

+++ Air-supported practice bubble - current bubble probably has 5 or 6 years left

+++ Lighting and scoreboard

+++ Parking - amount may depend on location

+++ Landscaping and entry plaza

+++ Storage & utilities

--------

Phase 2: $18 million

+++ Team locker rooms

+++ Coaches offices

+++ Meeting rooms

+++ Sports medicine and training facility

+++ Strength and conditioning area

+++ Renovations/connection to SEFCU Arena