UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Public Funding for Stadium

ATL_DANE

Just something I was thinking about.

Anybody remember what it was like to live in the Capital Region when the Firebirds were here. I was just looking at some things and to my surprise the Firebirds averaged almost 12,000 a game at the Pepsi for almost 10 years straight. Wouldn't you think that with the growth the Capital Region has experienced in the last 7 years, that we would have no problem averaging at least 10,000 a game?

I never lived in the capital region during the firebirds time, but did the TU actually cover them? Or did they make up lame excuses like they do for not covering UAlbany?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to almost all of the Firebirds' home games, and I attended the Arena Bowl that we won (against Orlando, I think). I agree that we can unquestionably draw at least 12K a game (and, indeed, far more than that) for a UAlbany football game in the future.

The TU did cover the 'Birds at that time. Some questions I have in response to some of the TU criticism that I've seen over the past few months are: what are our expectations for the TU? How much coverage should UAlbany sports get? If we're not getting enough, what would be sufficient? If our football games average 5,000 people (and less for our hoops), is it reasonable for the TU to give the attention that our football program (and other programs) gets, or do our programs deserve more (I don't really have an opinion either way yet). I don't have these answers, but I simply ask the questions. Being a little less critical of the TU than some here, I do think that if we drew 10,000 this weekend for our football game, we'd get a lot more coverage in the TU. We can't control directly the coverage the TU gives us, but we can can control it indirectly by sitting in the stands.

As the region and the TU witness more and more the growing interest in UAlbany athletics, the coverage will increase. All we can do is continue to support the programs, foster a growing (perhaps "developing") interest in other sports fans in the area, and go to the games. The coverage will follow (imho).

The fans on this forum are amazing, and we are all very passionate --- but there are only 435 registered members (although, of course, there are far many more people than 435 who are interested in UAlbany athletics). The TU is a business, and they are going to put articles in their papers that cater to the most people.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I would love to see more TU coverage of UAlbany athletic programs.

Yeah, but how much can it grow if nobody hears about it? For football, I figure a mid-week feature, Friday opponent preview, same kind of gameday coverage, and a top-of-page (not necessarily front page) game coverage on Sunday would be OK.

Ettkin compared our stadium funding to Akron. But Akron's old stadium was built by a fund drive LED BY the sports editor, not in spite of him, and during the Great Depression.

A lot of the page makeup is lazy, always-done-it routine. How many people still use the daily paper for entries and results at Belmont? (yesterday's attendance under 3,000) (and are they the demographic you want?)

How many need to know the also-rans after one day at the European PGA or LPGA? You can cover those on Sunday or Monday.

I would expect a mid-week player update and that's the article that should be used to talk about former players or players' other interests. Then a friday opponent preview and a saturday game preview in general. Then sunday should be a write with extensive interviews of both coaching staffs and players as well as a game summary. Not too much to ask for. In fact it can be achieved by one reporter.

Hey listen, Time Warner has made some improvements in their coverage of home games. The local news could improve also. But the TU is the main source of news in the Capital District and they aren't really the leading the way on this. Maybe its the admins fault for not pushing the TU. Who knows.

To think the coverage should be the same as Delaware, Appy, or Montana at this point is out of the question. I agree with all the above posts. If a stadium is built and we have a good team that plays named opponents and makes the playoffs on a regular basis and an occasional big name BCS opponent we would get tons of coverage as well as 10K-12K weekly.

Fast forward 6 years and UA who by this time SHOULD BE an FCS power with a beautiful new facility playing AT HOME against our OOC opponents Buffalo, UCONN, Army, Navy, maybe BC,Syracuse and Rutgers once in a blue moon. Think there would be coverage for this? You might not be able to get a seat (except for Buffalo)

For football, I figure a mid-week feature, Friday opponent preview, same kind of gameday coverage, and a top-of-page (not necessarily front page) game coverage on Sunday would be OK.

It would be nice to see that much coverage, and considering the progress that the team has made, it doesn't seem like too much of a dream.

One question I have regarding the coverage, however, is why the focus is almost always on the T-U. I realize it is the biggest newspaper in the area, but how is the coverage in the Gazette, Record, or even the Metroland?

To think the coverage should be the same as Delaware, Appy, or Montana at this point is out of the question. I agree with all the above posts. If a stadium is built and we have a good team that plays named opponents and makes the playoffs on a regular basis and an occasional big name BCS opponent we would get tons of coverage as well as 10K-12K weekly.

Fast forward 6 years and UA who by this time SHOULD BE an FCS power with a beautiful new facility playing AT HOME against our OOC opponents Buffalo, UCONN, Army, Navy, maybe BC,Syracuse and Rutgers once in a blue moon. Think there would be coverage for this? You might not be able to get a seat (except for Buffalo)

I can't wait! (though I'd be at the Buffalo game; I'm even going to see the Bulls play Syracuse at SU in two weeks :ph34r: )

I can't wait! (though I'd be at the Buffalo game; I'm even going to see the Bulls play Syracuse at SU in two weeks :ph34r: )

I'm pulling for you and the Bulls!

UB's lack of success in FBS has been a constant argument as to why UNY shouldn't move up. It's getting old.

This game is for New York FBS bragging rights. Go Bulls! Syracuse is NOT New York's team.

One question I have regarding the coverage, however, is why the focus is almost always on the T-U. I realize it is the biggest newspaper in the area, but how is the coverage in the Gazette, Record, or even the Metroland?

The T-U is far and away the largest paper, and the only one that's really regional. Gazette coverage is pretty good, but of course they focus on Union, The Record on RPI (though I don't see the Record much). Metroland doesn't do sports.

I'm pulling for you and the Bulls!

UB's lack of success in FBS has been a constant argument as to why UNY shouldn't move up. It's getting old.

This game is for New York FBS bragging rights. Go Bulls! Syracuse is NOT New York's team.

Thanks! I actually traveled out to Madison, WI last year for the Bulls vs. UW-Badgers game (The Bulls were down 3-7 late in the second quarter and had a first and goal on the Wisconsin 3-yard line, so at least we were in it for a moment; then we moved backwards and missed the field goal or threw an INT or something to that effect. The final score was 35-3, Wisconsin.).

Regarding Syracuse and their offending advertisements: When I walked past a CDTA bus this afternoon at lunch downtown, and saw that Syracuse advertisement on the side of the bus, I almost flashed an obscene gesture at the bus's advertisement. Realizing that the occupants of that bus might have viewed it as a gesture towards them, I declined to make any such gesture. :unsure: But I sure hate that Syracuse ad! :angry2:

The T-U is far and away the largest paper, and the only one that's really regional. Gazette coverage is pretty good, but of course they focus on Union, The Record on RPI (though I don't see the Record much). Metroland doesn't do sports.

Actually the gazette does a pretty good job in covering UA. I think Wiener is an alum which doesn't hurt. The Record also does a better job than the TU in my opinion. The Singelais blog is pretty good, but the editorial staff seems to be more interested in highlighting any negative stories over positive ones. If you compare UA sports articles in size and content vs. the other local colleges, they are usually smaller and not as good. I realize some would say it's paranoia, but I've tried to look at it empirically.

Actually the gazette does a pretty good job in covering UA. I think Wiener is an alum which doesn't hurt. The Record also does a better job than the TU in my opinion. The Singelais blog is pretty good, but the editorial staff seems to be more interested in highlighting any negative stories over positive ones. If you compare UA sports articles in size and content vs. the other local colleges, they are usually smaller and not as good. I realize some would say it's paranoia, but I've tried to look at it empirically.

Gazzette always has, in my opinion, better researched and thought out pieces than the TU. The gentleman who writes the articles seems like he actually cares about what he writes and is not just trying to stir up trouble like some other journalists.

Wiener is an alum. Last year after we beat Delaware, there was hardly a mention of it in the Gazette. I fired off an e-mail to Wiener and the coverage since has been pretty good although Union gets the majority of stories for obvious reasons.

I still have family/friends in the Albany area. I had some bumper stickers made up for them. You can have a bumper sticker made for as little as $5. I used this site and the following verbiage. $5 is a small price for a little loyalty to the almer mater

http://www.4bumperstickers.com/

"Support UAlbany Stadium"

I still have family/friends in the Albany area. I had some bumper stickers made up for them. You can have a bumper sticker made for as little as $5. I used this site and the following verbiage. $5 is a small price for a little loyalty to the almer mater

http://www.4bumperstickers.com/

"Support UAlbany Stadium"

Nice find. I wish I still lived in Albany. There are so many little things that could be done in the community. Once again, where are the local politicians?

Archived