UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Public Funding for Stadium

ATL_DANE

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=9/30/2007

The bashing continues. I hope someone can write a letter to the editor for me. This one guy Charles Keegan is a piece of garbage. Belittles the University and basically calls all students that attend the university alcoholics with his "If UAlbany wants to do some good for the community, it can start by cleaning up the broken beer bottles that grace Western Avenue," comment.

This dumb putz fails to mention the dozen+ high school lacrosse games played on John Fallon Field every year. He fails to mention maybe they could not provide for the baseball tournament because they were preparing for the biggest event to hit not just UAlbany, but Albany every summer...NY GIANTS TRAINING CAMP! At the same time, come April and May, every evening I see that field being used by people in the community. Maybe he doesn't see the local lacrosse, football teams that practice of our practice fields in the spring. Maybe he doesn't see the free access to our tennis/basketball facilities outside near Dutch Quad. Maybe he doesn't see players go out every year, especially during Christmas time, to give time to the Salvation Army. Maybe he doesn't see the coach's all give up a week of their summer at some point to host a camp for local athletes. Maybe he doesn't see the university allow local high school swim teams and local kids to come in and have classes/training practices in our swim facility. Maybe he doesn't see how local community groups are invited to come to basketball games or as we will see next week, have pop-warner Football teams come to football games FOR FREE. Maybe he doesn't see how our basketball team helped and how our University for TWO STRAIGHT YEARS hosted the Special Olympics! Maybe he doesn't see UAlbany students working to make areas of Albany safer not just for themselves, but others in the community. Or the dozens of groups on campus that are all involved in community activity. Maybe he doesn't see the education programs that the university connects to with local schools?

MAYBE THIS IDIOT DOESN'T SEE HOW OUR NANOSCIENCE COLLEGE IS BRINGING HUNDREDS OF JOBS TO...WELL GET THIS...THE ALBANY COMMUNITY!!! And how the college is bringing in local area students to learn about this rising technology, even to the point that THE UNIVERSITY IS MAKING A CEREAL ASSOCIATED WITH PRICE CHOPPER!

I would like this moron to come up to these athletes and students at UAlbany and say, "UAlbany simply turned its back on its commitment to the community. But no surprise. That is what UAlbany does. That is what UAlbany is all about." LET'S SEE HOW PEOPLE WOULD RESPOND!

And just maybe, my degree is worth something to me! And maybe blaming a few bad apples does not make this university filled with alcoholics.

With this other guy Norman Swanson, he comment saying the stadium "is all for a strictly "one-gender" sport facility and nothing for what was previously "two-gender" sports" is soooooooooooooooooooooooo far from the truth. Explain to me how Women's Soccer, Men's Soccer and even for lacrosse matches for Men and Women's soccer, which the university has stated will all have access to the stadium, does not supper the "two-gender" idea? Here is what I have to say, Mr. Swanson wants to help support something that is "two-gender", he can help by contributing to the finishing touches of John Fallon Field and Alumni Turf Field, which support 2 female sports and 1 male sport. Our female sports have done wonders for this athletic program, and I think Mr. Swanson is out of his mind if he thinks that the football is the only sport, or that no female sports would be allowed to participate in this plan...NEWS FLASH, THEY WANT TO BUILD THE STADIUM PARTLY ON THE AREA WHERE SOCCER IS PLAYED!!!

I am going to try and write a letter to the editor, but if I can't I would like someone to for me, I would greatly appreciate it. At the same time, I am really starting to get annoyed in how the TU seems to be on the front-lines in the slandering and mud slinging campaign against the University.

There are reasons that in some circles it's referred to as "Smallbany" " These are just a few of them.

Perhaps it was a strategic miscue to release the stadium plan with the $42/60 mill price tag. It could be that in the other communities where Dr. McElroy & Co. have worked the response would have been different.

In my lifetime I have seen many people do strange things because of jealousy. It's amazing the lengths they will go to discredit somebody who owns something better or have something better planned.

The people from the university community should not be taking steps to oppose this plan. They erroneously believe that if they oppose the plan then some funding that would have gone to athletics will somehow come to them instead. They don't realize that (1) the money does not come from the same pot and (2) the stadium will enhance everything else at UA, especially the school's profile. Instead of having one component of the university raise everyone else, they would rather tear part of UA down.

The stadium will be built, whether these opponents like it or not. People can either choose to oppose it now and look foolish later after it is built or join the bandwagon now. Either way, that stadium WILL be built.

The stadium will be built, whether these opponents like it or not. People can either choose to oppose it now and look foolish later after it is built or join the bandwagon now. Either way, that stadium WILL be built.

I admire your optimism, but I have the feeling 2010 is in jeopardy. And a number of us on this list may be contemplating retirement and a new domicile by then.

In my lifetime I have seen many people do strange things because of jealousy. It's amazing the lengths they will go to discredit somebody who owns something better or have something better planned.

The people from the university community should not be taking steps to oppose this plan. They erroneously believe that if they oppose the plan then some funding that would have gone to athletics will somehow come to them instead. They don't realize that (1) the money does not come from the same pot and (2) the stadium will enhance everything else at UA, especially the school's profile. Instead of having one component of the university raise everyone else, they would rather tear part of UA down.

exactly, very foolish indeed. and in regards to Albany and the Capital Region as a whole...reading the letters against the stadium, you'd think these people are being asked to write a check and fund the stadium entirely on their own! opposing a multi-million dollar project that will in-of-itself create jobs and pump investment into the area is idiotic.

Unfortunately I do not share your undoubting optimism. The way things have worked in the past with athletic projects at UA I just don't see it being so easy. Example: the football lockerroom renovation. The locker room was supposed to be renovated in 2001. It was not completed until at least one year late and on top of that it was never actually finished. The second stage was never complete (upgraded showers/bathroom). For some reason or another things just don't seem to get done around here. We need to find a local politician who supports UAlbany. Ken LaValle (state senator) was a major reason Stony Brook got the money for their stadium. He got his name on the stadium for his work. I'm not saying we should name it after a politician, but it doesn't seem like we have anybody fighting for us, or if they are they aren't doing it publicly. Bruno has his stadium in Troy and he doesn't care about SUNY or UAlbany. Who are the other capital region reps/senators in the State Senate/Assembly? Why haven't they helped out?

I don't live in the capital region anymore, but if I did I would have a little birdy in their ear(s).

I was looking up the schools Ettkin compared us to for stadium funding:

UC-Davis has twice as many students

Southern Illinois - McAndrew Stadium was originally built by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression of the mid-1930s, is still in service to Saluki Football 67 years after it opened in 1938.

For over 25 years, the University of Central Florida built their program to I-A by playing at the Citrus Bowl. The Florida Citrus Bowl is owned and operated by the City of Orlando. Nothing like the Citrus Bowl around here

Akron - The Bowl began to develop under the plans of B.E. "Shorty" Fulton in 1933. With the help of the Civil Works Authority, Fulton had 180,000 cubic yards of dirt carved out of the side of the hill neighboring Akron Municipal Airport. Fulton, the airport manager, turned the site into a recreation area.

In 1939, civic-minded citizens, headed by C.W. Seiberling and James Schlemmer, sports editor of the Akron Beacon Journal, raised $30,000 to help construct the stadium on the site. The amount was raised by subscribing $1 from 30,000 Akronites. A federal grant of $516,000 was obtained and construction began.

In 1940, the UA football team abandoned well-worn Buchtel Field to play at the municipally owned Rubber Bowl. The stadium was dedicated before 37,000 people on August 10, 1940…In June 1971, the University accepted the title to the Rubber Bowl from the City of Akron

'headed by the sports editor' ... not going to find that around here.

I've lived or worked in at least 1/3 of the US. Yes, the South is different in it's love of college athletics but the Capitol District is equally different in it's mistrust or hatred of college athletics. I'm not sure why it is... Local residents act as though they have to personally pay for the stadium with their own money. We pay taxes and that money is spent... Period. Opposing a project in the Capitol Region doesn't mean the money is returned to you. It doesn't mean you get a refund. It doesn't mean lower taxes. You are no richer for having done so. The money is spent elsewhere in the state. I feel like saying, "when offered money, take it dummy!"

Don't residents understand that opposing this stadium means loss of potential jobs? What do the construction workers think of this opposition? They can't be happy. The stadium would be 18 months of solid business. What do the hotels think of this opposition? Would those hotels on Washington Ave even be there without UA? All those out of state college teams have to spend the night somewhere. The fans don't sleep on the street either. What about the restaurants? Would Stuyvesant Plaza be there without the ton of students and visiting college teams that pass through daily? UA creates a huge amount of jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise. It's not always visible and it's not just the collection at the ticket windows. Ask any college town what the impact is of game day... hell, the college's impact all week. College athletics rarely produce a profit for the university on the books but they produce a lot of money to the community. Then there are all the intangibles to both UA and the community that everyone likes to gloss over. It's huge. If the government is willing to invest in your area, why oppose it? Especially if it means jobs. Clearly, this will produce jobs... short and long term.

Is this "smaller is better" mentality I hear in quoted Albany residents because just a few decades ago this was a small teachers college? Is it the New England viewpoint? Why are folks in Oregon or California happy with major college athletics? Why do folks in Texas or Minnesota seem to think it's great? Even New Jersey and Connecticut seem not to have a problem with it. This area is liberal but no more so than Minnesota or California. I'm really lost for an explanation why college athletics is so feared or hated in the Capitol District. Some folks are just openly hostile to the idea. Please enlighten me. Maybe there isn't an answer... it is what it is.

I've lived or worked in at least 1/3 of the US. Yes, the South is different in it's love of college athletics but the Capitol District is equally different in it's mistrust or hatred of college athletics. I'm not sure why it is... Local residents act as though they have to personally pay for the stadium with their own money. We pay taxes and that money is spent... Period. Opposing a project in the Capitol Region doesn't mean the money is returned to you. It doesn't mean you get a refund. It doesn't mean lower taxes. You are no richer for having done so. The money is spent elsewhere in the state. I feel like saying, "when offered money, take it dummy!"

Don't residents understand that opposing this stadium means loss of potential jobs? What do the construction workers think of this opposition? They can't be happy. The stadium would be 18 months of solid business. What do the hotels think of this opposition? Would those hotels on Washington Ave even be there without UA? All those out of state college teams have to spend the night somewhere. The fans don't sleep on the street either. What about the restaurants? Would Stuyvesant Plaza be there without the ton of students and visiting college teams that pass through daily? UA creates a huge amount of jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise. It's not always visible and it's not just the collection at the ticket windows. Ask any college town what the impact is of game day... hell, the college's impact all week. College athletics rarely produce a profit for the university on the books but they produce a lot of money to the community. Then there are all the intangiles to both UA and the community that everyone likes to gloss over. It's huge. If the government is willing to invest in your area, why oppose it? Especially if it means jobs. Clearly, this will produce jobs... short and long term.

Is this "smaller is better" mentality I hear in quoted Albany residents because just a few decades ago this was a small teachers college? Is it the New England viewpoint? Why are folks in Oregon or California happy with major college athletics? Why do folks in Texas or Minnesota seem to think it's great? Even New Jersey and Connecticut seem not to have a problem with it. This area is liberal but no more so than Minnesota or California. I'm really lost for an explanation why college athletics is so feared or hated in the Capitol District. Some folks are just openly hostile to the idea. Please enlighten me. Maybe there isn't an answer... it is what it is.

That should be your letter to the editor.

Archived